IMBA Chapter Program
Frequently Asked Questions
These are some of the more frequently heard questions regarding the IMBA Chapter Program transition.
Q. Why is the MMBA transitioning into the IMBA Chapter Program
A. One of the greatest benefits of partnering with IMBA is to have paid professionals run the business of the organization. Currently, we have part-time non-professionals running a business, making sure taxes are done correctly, ensuring books are handled in the way they need to be, and attempting to comply with dozens and dozens of laws very specific to running a 501(c)(3). This is not in the best interest of the organization
Q. Will the IMBA take over our advocacy efforts in Lansing?
A. No, the IMBA will not take this over. And this is why the MMBA will remain. We need the MMBA to restructure and grow so that it will be able to be the voice of Mountain Bikers in Michigan. However, as IMBA chapters, we would have a regional representative that would be our paid local representative. While this does not replace the MMBA, being a IMBA chapter with a regional representative is a model that currently works for the majority of Mountain Biking organizations in the country. The majority do not have our current model of organization.
Q. What will happen to my MMBA membership?
A. IMBA will grandfather all single and family memberships into the program. For example, if you just renewed your MMBA membership, it will convert to an IMBA membership for your IMBA Chapter. For the same membership fee, you will become both an IMBA and a local Chapter member; one membership for both local and national efforts.
Q. Where is my money going?
A. IMBA is tasked with handling all membership applications. Membership dues are paid to IMBA, then 40% of those dues are returned to the local chapter. IMBA keeps the other 60% within IMBA Chapter Program. As new chapters come onboard the IMBA Chapter program, the program’s income increases. Its is because of this that IMBA has spoken of its desire to pay for all chapter insurance costs and increasing the revenue split to 50%. However, they believe that these decisions should be up to its chapters and therefore, IMBA is looking to start a congress comprised of IMBA chapter representatives. This congress would be responsible for deciding the direction of the Chapter Program funds.
Q. Who will pay for insurance?
A. Currently, the chapters are responsible for insurance costs for trail days and events, but they can use the insurance programs through IMBA costing $5.50 to $8.50 per member. IMBA is currently negotiating a discount (possibly as much as 20%) with their carrier. This discount would apply to us as IMBA chapters.
Q. What about Chapter Fund Raisers and individual donations?
A. Any money raised by the chapter will remain the property of the chapter. Only membership money is split between IMBA and the local chapters. Each chapter will have its own Employer Identification Number (EIN), so the money and assets of a chapter will be the property of the chapter. Currently, all assets belong to the state-level MMBA.
Q. I’ve heard there isn’t a regional IMBA representative in our area – how does that affect us?
A. At the 2011 MMBA Annual Meeting & Expo, IMBA Executive Director Mike Van Abel said that IMBA has the funding for a regional director should the Michigan chapters join the IMBA program.
Q. Won’t the MMBA just fall apart once all of its funding has been removed?
A. It is estimated that the MMBA will be able to sustain itself on $5,000 per year. The state MMBA currently has enough money to sustain itself while it restructures. In addition, new corporate memberships have been developed so Michigan businesses may continue to support the MMBA. Any corporate memberships with the MMBA will support only the MMBA. Likewise, any corporate sponsorships through IMBA will not support the MMBA or any of the IMBA chapters.