NCT near Petosky?

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

NCT near Petosky?

Postby SteveF » May 29th, 2014, 6:57 am

I'm going to be in Petosky June 15th-18th, roughly, and I was thinking about trying this section of the NCT, which I've never ridden. Where should I start and where should I turn around (I'm assuming an out and back ride?) to enjoy the best of the trail? Is it pretty easy to follow, pretty well marked? (I get lost walking from the patio door to the bird feeder in my back yard so I'm not the best scout in the woods!)

Anyone care to join me, maybe arrange a shuttle so we can ride longer in one direction? Or is it not worth going longer up there? I'm not in the best shape given the wacky weather we've had the last few months so probably not looking for epic distances.

I seem to recall a bike shop in town that might have maps-probably stop in there, too, once I'm in town...

...thanks for any suggestions!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Re: NCT near Petosky?

Postby Mack » May 29th, 2014, 10:35 am

Kipp road section of NCT is just outside Petosky, and a gas to ride. Very well marked and easy to follow.
Im sure the local bike shop can give you directions, I found them on MTBR years ago, that is how I found that
section. The hill at the beginning is a nice climb, the good thing is you get to finish with it. Enjoy it is really
a great ride, with lots of scenery. I have seen Black bear twice, both in the fall though.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby michiganclydesdale » May 29th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Latitude 45 or High Gear bike shops are on the main 131 business route as you head north out of Petoskey toward the Kipp trailhead in Conway. Both those shops will likely have maps. I'd suggest a lot of bug spray too - the mosquito's are ferocious right now, as are ticks.
N+1
michiganclydesdale

Postby SteveF » May 29th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Thanks, that sounds like the trail section and bike shop(s) I was thinking about! How far should I follow the trail before I turn around? Is there any really cool thing or spot I should aim for?
SteveF

Postby michiganclydesdale » May 29th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Steve, I'm not that familiar with that section, only ridden it once, but it is nice. It backs into some trails at Boyne Highlands, I think, but you'd have to know where you're going. Otherwise, there are a couple road crossings as you go up toward Mackinaw City. I'd say, pick the time you want to ride, go half way into that time and turn around. It's fast and flowy, other than that first long climb, but get's tighter and twisty as you get closer to Mackinac, but getting all the way up there would be a long ride. If you could get a pick up in Mackinaw City, it'd be a fun 1/2 day ride.
N+1
michiganclydesdale

Postby SteveF » May 30th, 2014, 7:52 am

Wow, riding to Mackinaw City would be pretty cool, but if I do an out and back it'll probably be 20 miles (one way) or less...I think I might have done this section once before as well, way back in the mid-late 90's. Doubt anything will look familiar!
SteveF

Postby jiml » May 30th, 2014, 9:09 am

Hey Steve,

FYI: here's an old thread I have on route-ish stuff for the NCT Kipp road section. If you send me an email to jal at msu dot edu, I'll send you the track I have.

You can see pics of the section and pump here: http://zipspot.blogspot.com/2013/05/nct ... fling.html

Here's a map that you may want to peruse: http://northcountrytrail.org/hrb/Maps.html

Cheers!

JIm

/* begin snip */

I also rode there on Saturday as well, heading north from the Kipp Road TH to Levering Road. The trail is in great shape, I highly recommend it, good climbs and super flowy in areas. You could make a Roadie-Trail ride from Cross Village into Harbor Springs, hook up the bike path to where the trail splits east to Conway (by the brewery on 31), roadie it up to the Kipp Rd TH and take the trails to Levering Road, where you would then turn left and head back into Cross Village. I'd say the section Derek rode is a bit more fragile in trail surface (and more hike-a-bike-ish type steepness with sand) than from Kipp -> Levering.

Either way, I don't think there's any section of the NCT that i wouldn't recommend, depending on your level of adventure.

7/8/13

Jim, thx for info. How long would you say the kipp to levering takes? I'll ride it in both directions.

7/8/13

If you're doing an out and back, I would say to only go to Van Road, the next few miles from the trail to Levering are dirt/paved roads. Loaded with gear it took me ~1hr 45 mins to head north and I'm assuming it would be about the same going back south so I'd say about 2-1/2 hours unloaded for an out and back. You can get water at the town hall per your map at the corner of Stutsmanville and Pleasantview roads.

Attached is the gpx file of the out and back. You can use (the free version of) Topofusion to open and view the file. http://www.topofusion.com

/* end snip */
jiml

Postby MMMHills » May 30th, 2014, 10:16 am

The NCT off Kipp Rd is one of the best trails in Northern Michigan. Most of us either do up to Stutsmanville rd and back about 15 miles or Vann Rd and back about 30. Lots of climbing and the 30 mile out N back is not for beginner legs. The nice thing is it is an out N back so you can turn around at any time.

I would probably be up for a ride on a weekday if you want, either distance.

LMK
Paul
Do you want to know about the most amazing Gravel Grinder with a $12,300 cash purse
Then click below
http://www.MichiganMountainMayhem.com
MMMHills

Postby SteveF » May 30th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Thanks for the info and links, Jim. I don't have any GPS capable equipment so I don't know if I could use your track. That map link is useful, though.

Paul, thanks, I might take you up on that weekday ride. I'm not feeling to strong this year so far, so I'm afraid I might not be up to your pace. Up to you--if you find yourself in the mood for an easier-paced ride I think I can promise you one. B-) Plus, being my first time out there I might be inclined to stop for pictures or to enjoy the view, too.

The 15 to Stutsmanville sounds about right, maybe a little further. I know 30 one way would likely be too much for me.
SteveF

Postby jiml » May 30th, 2014, 2:47 pm

You're welcome Steve.

FWIW, even without on the bike gps, you can use the track with topofusion on your computer to get an idea on the terrain before heading out. ie: 'i'm gonna climb from mile x to y', etc.
jiml

Postby MMMHills » May 31st, 2014, 8:12 am

SteveF wrote:Thanks for the info and links, Jim. I don't have any GPS capable equipment so I don't know if I could use your track. That map link is useful, though.

Paul, thanks, I might take you up on that weekday ride. I'm not feeling to strong this year so far, so I'm afraid I might not be up to your pace. Up to you--if you find yourself in the mood for an easier-paced ride I think I can promise you one. B-) Plus, being my first time out there I might be inclined to stop for pictures or to enjoy the view, too.

The 15 to Stutsmanville sounds about right, maybe a little further. I know 30 one way would likely be too much for me.

Steve, My mileage is low and I am up to any pace just shoot me an email or PM. I am the event coordinator for the Michigan Mountain Mayhem which is June 14th so my email response will be slow to nonexistent on Friday through Sunday. If you come up early you should stop by either Friday night or Saturday. We have a big ole beer tent with a band on Friday and lunch on Saturday. It is open to the public as well as the 1500 riders.

Those distances are round trip not one way if it makes a difference.

Anyways get a hold of me I will need a nice ride after the weekend.
Do you want to know about the most amazing Gravel Grinder with a $12,300 cash purse
Then click below
http://www.MichiganMountainMayhem.com
MMMHills

Postby SteveF » May 31st, 2014, 5:44 pm

Sounds good, Paul! I'll pm you my cell # before I head north...
SteveF

Postby sisu » June 1st, 2014, 8:00 am

Jim and Paul, what about the other riding in that area, any recommendations? Highlands, Boyne Mtn, etc. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
sisu

Postby dcat1 » June 11th, 2014, 11:17 am

Steve, Paul-I'm going to be up there next week too and am staying at Trout Creek, next to Nubs..did this last year and plan to hit that section from Kipp road north again...I'd be in for joining in for a ride 1 day if it works out..it is an awesome section....I'm also planning to check out the bike park at Boyne Highlands 1 day..

Dan
dcat1

Postby SteveF » June 14th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Hey,sorry the wifi has been real spotty in camp. I should be able to ride mon or tue. Looks like Monday might be better weather. Wat do you guys think?
SteveF

Next

Return to NMMBA