Looking for groomed snow trail

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Looking for groomed snow trail

Postby vette-ss » April 3rd, 2014, 10:10 am

Bought a fat bike late in the season and didn't get enough use out of it. Since we are in the sit-and-wait season down state, I'm looking for input from northern lower locals and wondering how far north a person would have to go to find a groomed trail with some base this weekend. I'm still waiting to hear back from Crystal Mountain. Are there any other decent options? I see the St. Fatty's day event got postponed until April 12 on the island. Is there still snow on the ground up there? Is the ice bridge from St. Ignace still open to cross on a bike? I'm just itching to ride and looking for options. Thanks!
vette-ss

Re: Looking for groomed snow trail

Postby Mack » April 3rd, 2014, 10:20 am

Still snow on gthe ground in the Kalkaska area. You could ride the groomed snowmobile trials,
since they are technically closed to snowmobliles after March 31st.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby c0nsumer » April 3rd, 2014, 10:50 am

I think Hanson Hills isn't grooming for XC skiing anymore, so you can probably go there and ride what remains of the base. You should confirm this first, but when I was there a couple of weeks ago it was a blast.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby vette-ss » April 3rd, 2014, 12:32 pm

Thanks for the Hanson Hills idea...hadn't thought of that and I have been there before. However it looks like they quit grooming mid March and aren't answering the phones now. But their message said trails are open as long as there is snow. I could just chance it and show up. Crystal Mtn did their final groom of the season yesterday, and have all 20 miles open to bikes. This may be my best bet. Although I'm open to other suggestions. Not sure about snowmobile trails that are "technically" closed. Are there maps available for the groomed trails?
vette-ss

Postby c0nsumer » April 3rd, 2014, 12:37 pm

vette-ss wrote:Thanks for the Hanson Hills idea...hadn't thought of that and I have been there before. However it looks like they quit grooming mid March and aren't answering the phones now. But their message said trails are open as long as there is snow. I could just chance it and show up. Crystal Mtn did their final groom of the season yesterday, and have all 20 miles open to bikes. This may be my best bet. Although I'm open to other suggestions. Not sure about snowmobile trails that are "technically" closed. Are there maps available for the groomed trails?

I personally would chance it. The day of the fatbike race in March they groomed, and below that seemed to be a 2' - 3' packed base. I'd be surprised if much of this is gone, and as I don't think it's snowed a lot in the area it's still probably quite usable. I rode pretty much all of the groomed stuff there and all of it was great. I'd almost be tempted to make another trip back just to ride there again.

EDIT: I just noticed that I missed your map question. They are at intersections there... It's pretty easy to find your way because there are only large/expansive trails groomed.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Mack » April 3rd, 2014, 1:37 pm

vette-ss wrote:Thanks for the Hanson Hills idea...hadn't thought of that and I have been there before. However it looks like they quit grooming mid March and aren't answering the phones now. But their message said trails are open as long as there is snow. I could just chance it and show up. Crystal Mtn did their final groom of the season yesterday, and have all 20 miles open to bikes. This may be my best bet. Although I'm open to other suggestions. Not sure about snowmobile trails that are "technically" closed. Are there maps available for the groomed trails?

I think Crystal would be your best bet for the fun factor. Yes you can get maps of the snowmobile trails in
Grayling area sports shops. I doubt you will need one If you do ride them the short loop is 36 miles, the big
loop is 76+ miles. Most likely an out and back ride.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby Jeff » April 3rd, 2014, 3:33 pm

Disclaimer: I do not own a Fat Bike.

We have been riding in the Kalkaska area for two weeks since we returned home using 29 studded tires. All of the snowmobile trails, dog sled trails, etc. in the area are still real good. You need to start early each day. Even rode packed NCT singletrack trail near Broomhead and Supply Rd. a couple of times when the snow was stiff enough. The thing that you will need to watch out for especially on snowmobile trails this time of year is large patches of ice which can be super slick even with the carbide studs. I'd bet this will be an issue anywhere you go. If you are looking for someone to ride with, PM either Nechan or KalkaskaWinterfest on the board.

Jeff
Jeff

Return to NMMBA