Riding in TC area.

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Riding in TC area.

Postby ninerdpete » August 3rd, 2013, 1:58 pm

Next weekend Me and My family are coming from Chicago land to spend a week in Traverse City area.
I'll be looking forward to ride Vasa singetrack as much as I can and maybe even to tag along with some of you peeps during that week in Vasa.
Can you guys recommend any other worthy trails around Traverse City?
Thanks, Pete.
ninerdpete

Re: Riding in TC area.

Postby Sortaslow » August 3rd, 2013, 2:05 pm

Take a look ar the trail guide on our site. It's map based so great to see location of the trails relative to where you'll be. Also, Arcadia south of tc and the new trail (glacial hills) in bellaire are great must dos.

Have fun!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » August 3rd, 2013, 7:10 pm

For what its worth the trail guide is found at http://mmba.org/trail guide.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby bikeguy4life » August 8th, 2013, 8:48 am

I second the previous suggestion to hit up Arcadia Dunes - super-fun trail, I would have to say counter-clockwise is the most fun and has the best flow. Get a ride in and then grab lunch/dinner at the Roadhouse cafe in Benzonia. Haven't ridden it yet, but everyone I've talked to in the TC bike scene has nothing but good things to say about Glacial Hills in Bellaire - sounds like it's worth the drive.

Closer to TC, the marked VASA single track is good stuff. Thursday nights, 630 at the Marked Singletrack Trailhead there is a big group ride led by the City Bike crew that does a 2 hour/15 mileish ride on the unmarked trail within the VASA systems. That's usually a pretty fun ride and will get you off of the beaten path and onto the really good stuff. There's also a newish singletrack system getting worked in out in Kalkaska that's accessed from the parking lot/trailhead next to where the Iceman leaves KAL and hits the 2-tracks. Not sure how much is out there, but what I've ridden so far is good stuff.
bikeguy4life

Postby ninerdpete » August 8th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Thanks everyone for great info. I'll be definitely hitting Arcadia and exploring Vasa. Im gonna try to make Thursday evening group ride as well.
BTW. Iceman = awesomeness.
ninerdpete

Postby Nelg » August 9th, 2013, 7:49 am

We'll be riding Glacial Hills at 9:00 AM Sunday off the Eckhart Road parking lot. It's an absolute must ride trail while you are in the area, it surpasses Arcadia, Vasa, etc by far. If you are on the east side of TC it's easy to get to in Bellaire, if you are west side, it will take a little while longer to get to.

Where are you staying at? I can probably hook you up with some riders over the weekend.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby ninerdpete » August 9th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Thanks for the invite Nelg, I would love to, but unfortunately we won't be able to getup there till around noon on Sunday. I'm adding Glacier Hills to my list for sho.
We will be staying on Tibets lake and I'm planing to do my riding early mornings or evenings so during the day I can keep my kids busy and wife happy ;)
ninerdpete

Postby Nelg » August 9th, 2013, 12:27 pm

ninerdpete wrote:Thanks for the invite Nelg, I would love to, but unfortunately we won't be able to getup there till around noon on Sunday. I'm adding Glacier Hills to my list for sho.
We will be staying on Tibets lake and I'm planing to do my riding early mornings or evenings so during the day I can keep my kids busy and wife happy ;)

You are in a good spot for off-road riding there. You can ride to the vasa singletrack trail head right out the front door. If you are here all week, there is a group ride on Thursday @ 6:00 from the singletrack parking lot and another on Monday @ 6:00 from the Vasa 25k parking lot on Bartlett road. Both explore the unmarked stuff, pretty darn fun.
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby ninerdpete » August 9th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Awesome. Thursday evening ride sounds great.
Driving XC70 with orange Niner. See you on trails.
ninerdpete

Postby bikeguy4life » August 14th, 2013, 4:00 pm

Ninerdpete: The City Bike Shop-led Monday/Thursday group rides roll out at 630. I'm planning on riding the VASA singletrack trailhead ride tomorrow, I'm on the murdered out Niner EMD, I'll watch for ya. Conditions should be awesome, should be a great evening to get a ride in!
bikeguy4life

Postby SteveF » August 15th, 2013, 7:01 am

Nelg wrote: ... Glacial Hills ... surpasses Arcadia, Vasa, etc by far...

It's cutting edge trail building/design-wise, but I wouldn't say it's that much better. They're all fun in their own way.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby ninerdpete » August 15th, 2013, 10:37 pm

Big thanks to Alex and his group from City Bike Shop for a killer ride tonight. Nothing but smiles.
ninerdpete

Postby bikeguy4life » August 19th, 2013, 12:02 pm

@Ninerdpete: you are welcome man! It was great to meet you, glad you were able to make it out. We were stoked we could show you some of our finest off the map trails! If I ever make it down to the Chi-town area, I'll bring the bike and give you a shout out.
bikeguy4life

Postby amadkins » August 20th, 2013, 6:34 pm

bikeguy4life wrote:Ninerdpete: The City Bike Shop-led Monday/Thursday group rides roll out at 630. I'm planning on riding the VASA singletrack trailhead ride tomorrow, I'm on the murdered out Niner EMD, I'll watch for ya. Conditions should be awesome, should be a great evening to get a ride in!

I'm gonna give Glacial Hills a try this weekend when we visit TC. Does it compare to anything in the western metro area? I normally ride Milford, Pontiac Lake, Highland, Proud Lake, Hickory Glen, and Island Lake.

In reviewing the Glacial Hills thread, it seems that the routes can be confusing - is there a recommended route/parking location? Thanks.
amadkins

Postby Nelg » August 20th, 2013, 10:30 pm

amadkins wrote:
bikeguy4life wrote:Ninerdpete: The City Bike Shop-led Monday/Thursday group rides roll out at 630. I'm planning on riding the VASA singletrack trailhead ride tomorrow, I'm on the murdered out Niner EMD, I'll watch for ya. Conditions should be awesome, should be a great evening to get a ride in!

I'm gonna give Glacial Hills a try this weekend when we visit TC. Does it compare to anything in the western metro area? I normally ride Milford, Pontiac Lake, Highland, Proud Lake, Hickory Glen, and Island Lake.

In reviewing the Glacial Hills thread, it seems that the routes can be confusing - is there a recommended route/parking location? Thanks.

We typically go out to the south from the Eckhardt road parking lot and just mix it up. The ride from 45 to 7 to 1 on the way back is pure grins all the way. :)

http://www.gtrlc.org/wp-content/uploads ... e-2013.jpg
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Next

Return to NMMBA