HCP Fall Fun 50 -Sept. 28th 2013

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: HCP Fall Fun 50 -Sept. 28th 2013

Postby Mike_D » August 4th, 2013, 1:13 am

Count me in for this ride! If conditions are like they were last year, I am almost thinking a Fun 80 might be in order so I can check it off my bucket list :mrgreen:
Mike_D

Postby Epicrider » August 5th, 2013, 9:29 am

Do we need to reserve a spot for the group campground?
Epicrider

Postby SteveF » September 19th, 2013, 4:57 pm

purple helmet wrote:
Mike_D wrote:
SteveF wrote:Thanks guys--I have done this ride sorta, some years ago. Meant to do the fun fifty counterclockwise but we got turned around and did the less fun(?) 38 clockwise.

Make plans as you like-if I show up I can adopt... 8)

You probably started on Osmun Road and headed south (CCW - this is the Fun50 route) and got turned around on where the HCP and Shingle Mill cross paths and headed back north and did the $hitty 30 route?

For a lesser mile Fun30 route, if you started at Pigeon Bridge CCW, that route is about 30 miles back to camp. That route is pretty easy to follow, just don't take the trail east (left) to Town Corner Lake Campground or you'll have to backtrack. This is a nice option if you haven't been riding much. The only bad thing is it takes about an hour to drive to get the car. It is quicker to retrieve the Osmun Rd car IMO (Fun50 CCW route).

Actually, if memory serves, they got out of the car at Osmun and just went the wrong effing way :lol:

Yep. :oops: Hey,we were both first timers! Besides, I wasn't leading... :lol:

Boy were we surprised when we started running into 80 mile riders!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Nechan » September 19th, 2013, 9:12 pm

I remember! Not sure "surprised" would have been the word I would have chosen. Not looking good for me this year. Left knee is only about 50 % recovered and as much as I want to go, I am being advised not to. Have a great ride, trail should be in great shape with all the work done this year and new boardwalk and new bridge.
Nechan
Nechan

Postby SteveF » September 20th, 2013, 7:09 am

Nechan wrote:I remember! Not sure "surprised" would have been the word I would have chosen. Not looking good for me this year. Left knee is only about 50 % recovered and as much as I want to go, I am being advised not to. Have a great ride, trail should be in great shape with all the work done this year and new boardwalk and new bridge.
Nechan

We used some words after we ran into you, believe me! (none directed at you-just in general) Sorry to hear about your knee. I had a herniated disc in my neck last year and I've been pretty low key on "big rides" this year so I'm not sure I'm up to anything too ambitious. Sure would like to do (the rest of) this ride sometime but may not be in the cards for this year...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Nelg » September 23rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

sortafast wrote:Well, my geared bike is an epic and I ride that all the time. Ha, that cracked me up. My SS is a 32x18 and I dont have much trouble with long or steep climbs. I will probably ride that the way it is. Both Casey and I are seasoned riders and can handle most challenges. Not to worried there. Thanks for the heads up, we have large packs, lights and will bring enough fuel.

It's not just the length of the climbs, is the overall cadence of the ride, if you break an average of 8 MPH for 50 miles you are flying and probably in the top 10% of endurance riders. Your legs will be happy longer with an easy gear, 33x18 is still kinda stout.

Bring a bag for extra snacks and a water jug for refills at a drop car if you can. Having a food/water stash is huge!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » September 24th, 2013, 9:40 pm

football44 wrote:I told myself after last year's 80 miler, that it was cool, but I wouldn't do it again. Now after reading everybody's comments, I'm kicking myself for not scheduling this ride, and really hankering for some up north backcountry. An unsupported 80 miler is about as epic as it gets.
For what it's worth, I rode the 50 on a 32/19 ss and suffered, and the 80 on a hardtail and...suffered. But I guess enough time has passed to forget all that, and now I'm envious of you guys. Have fun!

Michigan jersey and a German Shepherd that wanted to take my hand off at Rattlesnake last fall, right? :D

You should come up and lead a 50 mile group :wink: I would do it myself but I'm in about the best riding shape of my life so far and the 80 miler is on my bucket list....
Mike_D

Postby sortafast » September 27th, 2013, 9:49 am

Mike and Casey, new to this trail, will be getting up there about the same time.
sortafast

Next

Return to NMMBA