HCP Fall Fun 50 -Sept. 28th 2013

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: HCP Fall Fun 50 -Sept. 28th 2013

Postby Mike_D » September 25th, 2013, 8:59 am

Nelg wrote:Riding from Pigeon Bridge to clear lake is also a great route and will leave a drop car on the route for the 80 milers to drop supplies or to use as a bail out option. It's about a 27 mile ride in some of the best areas.

I agree but what we are faced with is not having enough veteran HCP'ers (unless you want to change your weekend plans :wink: ) that know the way to Pigeon Bridge without getting lost in the maze of gravel roads in the Pigeon Forest. Between that and having to retrieve the Pigeon car, us 80 milers are just packing our own food, filling water bottles at the campgrounds, and perhaps leaving a stash of food and water at M-33 at the north end.

The out and back option would be a nice option for first timers since they would be riding some well ridden section of trail and get a nice view on the top of Rattlesnake (along with a fun return ride off the hill).
Mike_D

Postby Mike_D » September 25th, 2013, 9:03 am

football44 wrote:and our sweet little attack german shepherd probably wouldn't have bitten your hand off completely! :D (again, sorry about that!)

No worries!!! Just needling you about that :D I love dogs but I also respect them and your German Shepherd, I feel, was doing it's job by protecting your girlfriend(?) from us scary mtbikers in spandex :lol:
Mike_D

Postby Mike_D » September 25th, 2013, 9:15 am

bigbelgian wrote:I think I will take the advice for newbies and just do the out and back route. Logistics prevent me from showing up on Friday night so I will just show up on Saturday Morning .

Thanks for all of the suggestions and the advice .

bigbelgian,

You are going to need some advice on where to pickup the HCP near Clear Lake State Park as it is not real easy to find from camp (I have yet to find the official way to pickup the trail from the group site). You might want to try to be at the group site at around 8:30am to see if anyone else plans on doing an out and back that way you'll have some company for the ride (misery loves company :D ).

Here's what I have done when riding CW from the group site. I have ridden out to M-33 and headed south to pickup the trail (maybe a mile down or so). It will be on your right once you pass County Rd 622 (see map in posting above). After a few miles, you will pop back out on 622, turn left on the pavement. Once it turns to gravel at the top of the hill, start watching on your left for the blue paint dots (following the HCP involves watching for blue paint on trees even if the trail is obvious or not so obvious). There could even be a post with blue paint around the top of it. It might be only a couple hundred yards down on your left if memory serves me correctly.
Mike_D

Postby Mike_D » September 25th, 2013, 9:38 am

Just a quick note to everyone (especially the newbs) to be thinking about being self-sufficient on the trail. Be sure to pack a multi-tool, a spare derailleur hanger (if you are geared), a few zip ties, a spare tube (without holes preferably - I just checked mine the other night and it had 3 holes in it :shock: ), a way to inflate it, and of course plenty of water and fuel. Might not be a bad idea to also pack some patches. Maybe even a spare set of brake pads if you have them in case your clip breaks (on disc brakes) and you lose a pad(s). Was just on a 70 mile ride recently and this happened to my riding buddy. Made me think about this.

Weather is looking great!!! A little chilli in the morning but mid-70's for Saturday 8)
Mike_D

Postby purple helmet » September 25th, 2013, 11:55 am

Mike_D wrote:Just a quick note to everyone (especially the newbs) to be thinking about being self-sufficient on the trail. Be sure to pack a multi-tool, a spare derailleur hanger (if you are geared), a few zip ties, a spare tube (without holes preferably - I just checked mine the other night and it had 3 holes in it :shock: ), a way to inflate it, and of course plenty of water and fuel. Might not be a bad idea to also pack some patches. Maybe even a spare set of brake pads if you have them in case your clip breaks (on disc brakes) and you lose a pad(s). Was just on a 70 mile ride recently and this happened to my riding buddy. Made me think about this.

Weather is looking great!!! A little chilli in the morning but mid-70's for Saturday 8)

...or just ride with someone who's carrying all that *beep* :lol:
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby bh357 » September 25th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Mike_D wrote:Just a quick note to everyone (especially the newbs) to be thinking about being self-sufficient on the trail. Be sure to pack a multi-tool, a spare derailleur hanger (if you are geared), a few zip ties, a spare tube (without holes preferably - I just checked mine the other night and it had 3 holes in it :shock: ), a way to inflate it, and of course plenty of water and fuel. Might not be a bad idea to also pack some patches. Maybe even a spare set of brake pads if you have them in case your clip breaks (on disc brakes) and you lose a pad(s). Was just on a 70 mile ride recently and this happened to my riding buddy. Made me think about this.

FWIW, I know of more people who've broken shifty-bits than have had flat tires on the HCP :lol:

A spare brake (and shifting if applicable) cable would not be a bad idea. I got to see one guy (Dan) lose his rear brake coming down Rattlesnake.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby Mike_D » September 26th, 2013, 2:07 pm

To the 1st riders to the group site on Friday, please gather some firewood for the fire on Friday night. Please only gather what is laying on the ground around the site and no running of chainsaws allowed in the park (the park officers don't take kindly to that). Use of an axe to cut up larger logs is fine. Just don't lose an appendage doing it - let the HCP do that :icon_tongue:

4 of us from the West Michigan area might not make it up til 7 or 8 that night.
Mike_D

Postby Mike_D » September 27th, 2013, 9:29 am

Mike_D wrote:To the 1st riders to the group site on Friday, please gather some firewood for the fire on Friday night. Please only gather what is laying on the ground around the site and no running of chainsaws allowed in the park (the park officers don't take kindly to that). Use of an axe to cut up larger logs is fine. Just don't lose an appendage doing it - let the HCP do that :icon_tongue:

4 of us from the West Michigan area might not make it up til 7 or 8 that night.

As I said above, the 4 of us HCP "veterans" will not be up til 7 or 8 so there will not be a sign or banner on the gate to the group site til then. Below is a map of the campground from the guard shack to the group site. You will be hard pressed not to find the group site with this map below.

Mike_D

Postby sortafast » September 27th, 2013, 9:49 am

Mike and Casey, new to this trail, will be getting up there about the same time.
sortafast

Postby purple helmet » September 27th, 2013, 11:25 am

sortafast wrote:Mike and Casey, new to this trail, will be getting up there about the same time.

if you guys are passing Gaylord around 5:15-5:30 we'll be carbo-loading at the BC pizza buffet 8)
purple helmet

Postby RG717 » September 27th, 2013, 11:41 am

2 more from GR area coming. Should be there between 8 & 9. Never ridden any of the trail, but have hiked some of it.
RG717

Postby Mike_D » September 30th, 2013, 8:14 am

Mike and Casey - Nice job on finishing 75% of the HCP first time out!!! Hope to see you up again in the spring and/or fall!!!

Ryan and Mike - Sorry you guys had mechanicals and had to turn back so soon :( Hope you guys can make it back up to avenge yourselves!!!

Just so the 4 of you know, typically we have more people on the ride. Seems like the spring ride has more willing participants show up. When we do have more riders show up, we have more options for different length rides (30, 50, or 80) and we usually have a few drop cars depending on what rides are happening. Having drop cars along the route is nice so you don't have to be self-supporting from a food and gear standpoint. My lower back can attest to that this morning :oops:

Tom and I were both able to successfully Strava the 80 mile route in it's entirety. If you are on Strava, you can check out the stats here:

http://www.strava.com/activities/85734318
Mike_D

Postby RG717 » September 30th, 2013, 11:49 am

A big thanks to Tom and Mike for organizing and letting the rest of us in on your plans. Mike and I both had a great time even though it was cut short. We'll be back again yet this fall to give it another go if anybody else wants to join us. I think the smaller group was great and packing everything for the day was fine with me. I would prefer to do it the same way next time. We made it back into camp just before noon and were home by 4:00. I found a pretty good dent in the side of my front rim yesterday that I think was contributing to my tire issues. I'm mounting up a new set of Continental X-Kings today for the next attempt. We'll throw in some spare derailleur hangers and a piece of cable to remedy the situation should it arise again. Thanks to everybody for waiting on me to fix the flat and to Tom for kicking in a CO2 cartridge. I owe you one.
RG717

Postby purple helmet » January 7th, 2014, 10:00 am

Blizzard outside. Chained to my desk. Hacking through last stage of the flu...

I miss my friends
I miss my bike
I miss this trail!

purple helmet

Postby Mike_D » January 7th, 2014, 10:37 am

^ Amen to that brother!!!
Mike_D

PreviousNext

Return to NMMBA