HCP Fall Fun 50 -Sept. 28th 2013

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: HCP Fall Fun 50 -Sept. 28th 2013

Postby Mike_D » September 24th, 2013, 11:46 am

To those that have not ridden before, there are some logistics that will need to be discussed Friday night at camp. This ride is not an out and back. It is a full 80 mile loop and to just do part of it requires either dropping a car and riding back to the campground, or doing an out and back ride.

Typically for the 50 mile ride, you drive to Osmun Rd (blue dot on map below), drop the car off and ride CCW back to Clear Lake State Park (on M-33). For a 30 mile ride, you drop a car at Pigeon Bridge (yellow dot on map below) and ride CCW back to Clear Lake State Park. Now what you don't know is that it takes about 45-60 minutes to drive from the campground to Pigeon Bridge on a bunch of gravel roads. Osmun start point is easier to get to as you take M-33 north to M-68 in Onaway, head west on M-68 to Osmun Rd and south to trailhead and this route takes maybe a 20-30 minute drive. Either of those 2 options, you want to be on the road leaving camp at around 8 or 9am. The bad thing is that after the ride, you have to have someone drive out to pick up car(s) after the 80 mile riders are back at camp.

Originally, there were 5 of us that were going to do the 80 mile ride from camp CW leaving at 6am with lights and no drop cars whatsoever (bring all food/fuel with and refill water at the campgrounds along the way). This would give us the option of bailing out on some decent gravel roads on the north side of the HCP and getting back to camp via M-33 if we needed to without the hassle of picking up cars after the ride.

If we get a group that wants to do a 30 or 50 mile ride, it will get interesting especially if there is not a veteran rider present within this group to know how to get to the starting points. bigbelgian - you might want to try to make it to camp Friday night to find out the plan. Is Michaywe near Gaylord? If so, you've got about an hour drive to get to the campground. What time could you get to Clear Lake State Park Friday night? The 80 mile riders are going to bed at a decent time since we need to be up at 5am'ish.

This map can also be found in the MMBA trail guide:

Mike_D

Postby purple helmet » September 24th, 2013, 11:50 am

bigbelgian wrote:Hi everyone ,

I may be able to make this ride on Saturday . What time will you be leaving for the 50 mile loop ?

I have never ridden these trails and it would be nice to have a group to ride with . I am not familiar with this area but will be pulling in late Friday night at a cottage in Michaywe and may be able to make it if it's not too early .

Also I am considering doing the ride on my Niner Jet 9 vs. my hardtail set up for race mode . Anyone else riding full suspension or is it all hardcore singlespeed ridge fork type of a group ?

Not sure if we're going to have a 50 miler group this year. I think the plan is minimum 55/trail +12/road and go up from there. If I hear different I'll post up. Traditionally, the 50 milers have left camp for Osmun road around 9, clip in around 10, home around dark.

Bike doesn't really matter. We'll have all types usually. Bring a spare derailleur :)
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby purple helmet » September 24th, 2013, 11:55 am

sortafast wrote:Are there any women/girls doing this ride, that you know of?

that's an odd and somewhat funny question. We've had 1 woman complete the 80, but she's more of a man than I am (Hi Wendy!!). And I think we had one finish the 50 (some marathon runner that just wouldn't quit). Another half dozen women or so started the 50 and dropped out, some quite amusingly so....

oh wait, Jeff lead a couple of girls around once... was that the 50?? They came in around 2 AM...

If Brad is still homebrewing, he's probably got some nice moobs going, does that count?? :lol:
purple helmet

Postby Mike_D » September 24th, 2013, 11:57 am

purple helmet wrote:If Brad is still homebrewing, he's probably got some nice moobs going, does that count?? :lol:

:lol:
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » September 24th, 2013, 12:42 pm

The HCP isn't a good place to be fishing for a date. :P
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby bh357 » September 24th, 2013, 12:51 pm

It looks like I'm out for this one. Too much stuff going on right now :(

Tom, I recall 2 women who have completed the full 80: Wendy (on a singlespeed) and Jeff's friend Keri. Also, another woman started with Jeff and Keri and I believe she made it around CCW to Pigeon Bridge.

Nelg wrote:The HCP isn't a good place to be fishing for a date.

Says the guy whose SO has ridden the Fun 50 before :lol:
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby purple helmet » September 24th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Nelg wrote:

The HCP isn't a good place to be fishing for a date. :P

hey, it worked for you!

*beep*, forgot Ali. So, yeah, like 3 or 4 women have finished the 50, and a couple have done the 80...

Actually, women starting to finishing ratio isn't all that different from men. It's just most women are smart enough to not start 8)

Brad, you will be missed...
purple helmet

Postby Nelg » September 24th, 2013, 1:15 pm

bh357 wrote:It looks like I'm out for this one. Too much stuff going on right now :(

Tom, I recall 2 women who have completed the full 80: Wendy (on a singlespeed) and Jeff's friend Keri. Also, another woman started with Jeff and Keri and I believe she made it around CCW to Pigeon Bridge.

Nelg wrote:The HCP isn't a good place to be fishing for a date.

Says the guy whose SO has ridden the Fun 50 before :lol:

Granted, Ali had ridden the 50 a couple times, but I didn't exactly meet her there. :)

All the females that have been to the HCP are pretty confident in themselves, if they can ride for hours, they'll love it.
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby purple helmet » September 24th, 2013, 1:36 pm

For any newbies that don't feel like tackling anything huge, an out and back in the direction we're going is a really nice ride. Clear lake to Rattlesnake and back really can't be beat :)
purple helmet

Postby Mike_D » September 24th, 2013, 2:18 pm

purple helmet wrote:For any newbies that don't feel like tackling anything huge, an out and back in the direction we're going is a really nice ride. Clear lake to Rattlesnake and back really can't be beat :)

I second that! You'd get ~25 miles doing this out and back from Clear Lake to Rattlesnake hill. My first ride was the 30 miler and I am glad that's all I tackled the 1st time on the HCP. Was a real eye opener fo sho in the sense of how rugged a trail it can be. It is not even remotely close to any nice flowy singletrack we have downstate. It can take a mental toll on you as well as a physical one....

Also would recommend newbies to at the very least print out the HCP map in the trail guide and bring with as cell coverage is spotty at best and you most likely will not be able to pull this map up on your smartphone. I'm hoping someone from the NMMBA will be up there with some of the REALLY nice waterproof HCP maps.
Mike_D

Postby bigbelgian » September 24th, 2013, 4:27 pm

I think I will take the advice for newbies and just do the out and back route. Logistics prevent me from showing up on Friday night so I will just show up on Saturday Morning .

Thanks for all of the suggestions and the advice .
bigbelgian

Postby football44 » September 24th, 2013, 6:54 pm

I told myself after last year's 80 miler, that it was cool, but I wouldn't do it again. Now after reading everybody's comments, I'm kicking myself for not scheduling this ride, and really hankering for some up north backcountry. An unsupported 80 miler is about as epic as it gets.
For what it's worth, I rode the 50 on a 32/19 ss and suffered, and the 80 on a hardtail and...suffered. But I guess enough time has passed to forget all that, and now I'm envious of you guys. Have fun!
football44

Postby Mike_D » September 24th, 2013, 9:40 pm

football44 wrote:I told myself after last year's 80 miler, that it was cool, but I wouldn't do it again. Now after reading everybody's comments, I'm kicking myself for not scheduling this ride, and really hankering for some up north backcountry. An unsupported 80 miler is about as epic as it gets.
For what it's worth, I rode the 50 on a 32/19 ss and suffered, and the 80 on a hardtail and...suffered. But I guess enough time has passed to forget all that, and now I'm envious of you guys. Have fun!

Michigan jersey and a German Shepherd that wanted to take my hand off at Rattlesnake last fall, right? :D

You should come up and lead a 50 mile group :wink: I would do it myself but I'm in about the best riding shape of my life so far and the 80 miler is on my bucket list....
Mike_D

Postby football44 » September 25th, 2013, 8:24 am

Close, it was a Wild Wonderful West Virginny jersey, and our sweet little attack german shepherd probably wouldn't have bitten your hand off completely! :D (again, sorry about that!)
Ironically, I'll be in the Kalkaska area this weekend, but really can't change plans.
The HCP group does a great job with that ride. It's "epic" in the Angry Single Speeder version of that word, in my opinion.
football44

Postby Nelg » September 25th, 2013, 8:29 am

bigbelgian wrote:I think I will take the advice for newbies and just do the out and back route. Logistics prevent me from showing up on Friday night so I will just show up on Saturday Morning .

Thanks for all of the suggestions and the advice .

Riding from Pigeon Bridge to clear lake is also a great route and will leave a drop car on the route for the 80 milers to drop supplies or to use as a bail out option. It's about a 27 mile ride in some of the best areas.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

PreviousNext

Return to NMMBA