HCP Fall Fun 50 -Sept. 28th 2013

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

HCP Fall Fun 50 -Sept. 28th 2013

Postby Nechan » July 29th, 2013, 2:31 pm

The Northern Chapter will be hosting it's annual High Country Pathway Fall Fun 50 Epic Ride on September 28th, 2013. The ride will cover approximately 50 miles of awesome singletrack while passing through the heart of elk country. The High Country Pathway (HCP) is one of two trails in Michigan to be handpicked by the International Mountain Bicycling Association as an Epic Ride!

The HCP has a lot of variety, from single plank boardwalks, tight technical sections to fast rolling terrain. There are a few scenic vistas along the way. This is some of the best mountain bike riding you will find in the United States.

This is an endurance ride. The trail can be physically demanding at times and takes a lot of energy to ride. The 50 mile ride typically takes from 6 to 10 hours to complete with an average speed of 5 to 8 miles per hour. This counts time to enjoy the scenery along the way. If this sounds like too much time in the saddle, shorter options are available.

Because of the remoteness of this area, we typically don't offer very much support for the ride. Be sure to outfit to self-support. We do spot a few cars along the route so that you can stash extra food and water along the way, or to be used in an emergency. We don't have an appointed group leader. We usually all start riding at the same time and small groups varying by rider capability form along the way. This seems to work very well.

We will be staying in the group campground at Clear Lake State Park. Located just 9½ miles north of Atlanta on M-33, this is an idea place to bring the whole family. There's a large central fire pit with benches, hand pump, and pit toilets. It is just a short walk to the hot showers, real toilets, sandy beach, trails, etc. If you are planning to bring a camper, plan to reserve a campsite in the regular campground. Most of us will be arriving on Friday night.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Nechan
Nechan

Re: HCP Fall Fun 50 -Sept. 28th 2013

Postby Nechan » July 29th, 2013, 2:36 pm

An Americorps Crew of 9 people and several volunteers have just spent 2 1/2 weeks working on the trail. The HCP is in the best shape it has been in years. Should be a great ride this fall!

Nechan
Nechan

Postby balexander87 » August 2nd, 2013, 7:57 am

If anyone gets any video from this years ride, please share! I won't be able to do this ride, but I'm a fan of living vicariously Besides, YouTube is utterly devoid (save for 20 seconds of video from 4 years ago) of HCP footage.
2013 Trails: Andrews University, Vineland, Brown County (IN), Fort Custer, Luton Park, Kickapoo State Park (IL)

2013 Mileage: 233.8
balexander87

Postby Mike_D » August 4th, 2013, 1:13 am

Count me in for this ride! If conditions are like they were last year, I am almost thinking a Fun 80 might be in order so I can check it off my bucket list :mrgreen:
Mike_D

Postby Epicrider » August 5th, 2013, 9:29 am

Do we need to reserve a spot for the group campground?
Epicrider

Postby Nechan » August 5th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Yes, do you want to take charge of that this time?
Nechan

Postby jetinjeff29r » August 25th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Nechan wrote:An Americorps Crew of 9 people and several volunteers have just spent 2 1/2 weeks working on the trail. The HCP is in the best shape it has been in years. Should be a great ride this fall!

Nechan

I am hoping to ride the whole 80 miles this week. I read on MTBR that the northeast corner from Shoepac, west to the Black river was pretty rough. But that was from last year. Does any one know if Americorps got to that?

Jeff
http://www.mtbepicrides.com/
http://thisisnotcamping.blogspot.com/
jetinjeff29r

Postby Mike_D » August 25th, 2013, 9:51 pm

jetinjeff29r wrote:
Nechan wrote:An Americorps Crew of 9 people and several volunteers have just spent 2 1/2 weeks working on the trail. The HCP is in the best shape it has been in years. Should be a great ride this fall!

Nechan

I am hoping to ride the whole 80 miles this week. I read on MTBR that the northeast corner from Shoepac, west to the Black river was pretty rough. But that was from last year. Does any one know if Americorps got to that?

Jeff

If you have not ridden any of this trail, you are in for an epic treat. A good riding light is a requirement to do the 80 mile ride in the fall. You either leave early am with a light or finish with a light or both. It is a long slow ride and you will average only about 6-7 mph. There are drop cars strategically placed along the route that you leave food, water, & whatever else you might need to help you make it thru the ride.
Mike_D

Postby jetinjeff29r » August 26th, 2013, 11:38 am

If you have not ridden any of this trail, you are in for an epic treat. A good riding light is a requirement to do the 80 mile ride in the fall. You either leave early am with a light or finish with a light or both. It is a long slow ride and you will average only about 6-7 mph. There are drop cars strategically placed along the route that you leave food, water, & whatever else you might need to help you make it thru the ride.

I came into the Shingles Mill 11 mile loop, dirt roads from the north. Went a little further south on the HCP and when I got back north I took the HCP north to Pine Grove campground. where I sillily took Campground rd to Web gravel road back to Wolverine. I should have just backtracked. I averaged 10.5 with 5 miles of pavement and 17 miles of forest and gravel roads. I averaged about 9 on the Shingles Mill and other parts of the HCP. I guess the rest gets slower.
jetinjeff29r

Postby sisu » August 26th, 2013, 12:05 pm

If only it wasn't the same weekend as Brown County Breakdown...
sisu

Postby jetinjeff29r » August 27th, 2013, 1:32 pm

It is a long slow ride and you will average only about 6-7 mph

Yesterday I started and Pigeon River Bridge and went further south. And while it was fast at first it did get slower as there was some bushwacking around mile five (it was so obvious from the other direction!). I even lost the trail and took dirt roads around and got back on and went to Town Corner Lake and then back to the HCP towards Black River. That planking is a challenge and lowers the speed, but probably not as much as those roots. average speed dropped to 7.6 MPH. It raised to 8.1 after i added the 6 mile loop at Shingles Mills (10.3 for the Loop). The double planking now seems like a two lane highway.

So I may just try to pick off another chunk.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff
jetinjeff29r

Postby Mike_D » August 27th, 2013, 2:05 pm

If you keep heading south on the HCP towards Clear Lake, this part of the trail is probably the easiest to follow (other than the Shingle Mill) just keep watching for the blue dots. If you lose them, backtrack til you find them again and look carefully for them. I do remember 1 section closer to Pigeon Bridge (probably where you were talking about) that seemed like some select cutting was going on that was hard to follow the blue dots. This section of trail from Pigeon Bridge to Clear Lake State Park (approximately 30 miles) gets the most use every spring and fall by our mtb group. There are a couple of large clear cuts that get a little tough to follow. The first 1 I believe is between Camp 30 Rd and Rouse Rd and the other 1 has deep furrows with small jackpines (this one I believe is after crossing Van Helen Creek). If you have someone that can pick you up at Clear Lake State Park (starting again at Pigeon), I would ride that section but have someone spot water/food or wait for you at the 2 track where the HCP heads south off Rouse Rd just before climbing Rattlesnake Hill (the only place for water along this route is at Town Corner Lake Campground which you no doubt found). The view on top of Rattlesnake Hill is awesome (especially in the fall).

I have only ridden/hiked/worked a couple of trail days on some of the sections east of M-33 (east of Clear Lake) and a tiny bit of the northern section of trail east of M-33 but from what I have heard the northern section is tough to follow and I concur on the little bit of the northern section I was on.

Did you happen to get one of these nice foldable, waterproof HCP topo maps? Well worth the $9 or whatever they cost these days.

http://www.pigeonriver.org/maps--membership.html
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » August 29th, 2013, 11:02 am

sisu wrote:If only it wasn't the same weekend as Brown County Breakdown...

HCP is cheaper and tougher. :)
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby sisu » August 29th, 2013, 11:48 am

And closer!
sisu

Postby bh357 » August 29th, 2013, 2:37 pm

And longer.

So, the HCP is harder, longer, and cheaper than Brown County.

Got wife clearance for the weekend, so I'll be up there :D
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Next

Return to NMMBA