Iron Mountain area trails

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Iron Mountain area trails

Postby bbender785 » July 25th, 2013, 8:53 am

going to the UP next month for a buddy's wedding, and one other friend and i are wanting to throw our bikes on the RV and try to get some seat time in while we're in the area. any reccomendations? i've begun doing some digging on the 'net but nothing is standing out thus far. fire roads and such are fine, but if you have a rad singletrack we should know about please do share. 8)
AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Re: Iron Mountain area trails

Postby Nelg » August 1st, 2013, 12:06 pm

Not familliar with anything directly in that area. But you could hit Bruno's run on the way there if you don't mind driving a bit out of your way. Take NF-13 north toward Munising off of route 2. It's by Moccasin Lake and Petes Lake.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby bbender785 » August 21st, 2013, 7:26 am

bump, headed up tomorrow! thanks for the suggestion Nelg.. not everyone in the RV is a cyclist so we're hoping for something real close to where we're staying.
AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Postby bbender785 » August 26th, 2013, 8:13 am

thought i'd follow up on this for anyone else interested. we ended up finding the Fumee Lake Natural Area. didn't have alot of time to explore but we did hit the North Ridge Trail, and it was a great ride. techincal; lots of rocks and roots on the hardpacked trail and quite a few switchbacks, and some great elevation changes. people also had made "tunnels" from natural materials which added to the scenery. can't say i'd drive 8 hours to ride it again but i would definitely reccomend a stop on the way through.

http://www.fumeelakes.org/Fumee%20Lake%2011x17.pdf
AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Return to NMMBA