Ride ride ride ....

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Ride ride ride ....

Postby balexander87 » May 23rd, 2013, 8:46 pm

I was trying to do the whole ride, ride, ride thing to get a boost in my stamina prior to a trip to Brown County, and it was working pretty well, but the biggest improvement I saw was a result of a single piece of advice from a riding buddy. We were out riding and he noticed me getting winded on some of the tougher climbs, he told me to really focus on slowing my breathing down and breathing deeper while climbing and recovering. Bam, it was like someone flipped a switch. All of a sudden my legs didn't feel like lead halfway up a hill and I was recovering MUCH faster.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that making an effort to improve your... I don't know... "aerobic technique", maybe?? whatever you want to call it... can have as big of an impact as just getting in the miles.
balexander87

Postby dirt » May 25th, 2013, 7:53 am

c0nsumer wrote:Also, stop as little as possible. Even if you need to go really slow for a while, that's okay. Just try not to stop.

This. and pedal constantly. Even if you have to soft pedal, keeping the legs moving, and keeping the bike moving, is very beneficial.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby bax » June 4th, 2013, 8:27 pm

balexander87 wrote:
bax wrote:Thanks to all that responded, heading out to do 20 tonight. 8)

How'd it go?

I know it's not a tough trail, but convience, and the fact I'm just starting to increase my mileage, I did 1 Blue and 2 Yellow loops at ILRA. I tried breathing deeper, more controlled, and did'nt stop. I took a couple days off and went back for 2 Blue and 1 Yellow - no stops. My average mph for this ride was 13.5, it was around 23.5 miles. Recently went out to Highland and did ABCD - no stops, never have done that. The breathing has helped, as has starting out slow. I seem to hit a "zone" where I'm feeling like I can go for miles. There really is something to the miles in terms of the "fatigue" I feel after a longer ride, it is helping. I'm going to continue mixing the harder trails with rides at ILRA for a bit and see how I progress. Thanks for your intrest. 8)
bax

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques