Cardio Conundrum

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Cardio Conundrum

Postby 300hp » May 3rd, 2013, 9:18 pm

Typically I don't have great cardio, despite logging a good (60-100 wk) amount of miles on the bike. Part of that is some genetic stuff, part meds, and part is that I don't specifically "train" on xc rides.

This season, I've been doing something I never have before, working in a good long slow distance ride or two every week. 3+ hrs at a consistant pace.

So far, so good. Building a fitness base has been working well for me, and appears to be what you're missing in your routine. Go fix up your parents bikes and have an after work dirt road ride once a week or so, and watch your improvement. It won't take too long.
300hp

Postby Roy » May 8th, 2013, 9:04 pm

If you don't give your body enough time to recover it will breakdown - not get stronger.
Keep a record of your resting heart rate- take your pulse first after you wake up.
If that rate starts to increase, back off your effort. Get more rest time between rides.

Roy
Roy

Postby utabintarbo » May 10th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Doc_d wrote:... Then the trick is to try to maintain those through the next season (which is where I *SUCK*).

You sound like a good candidate for a fat bike! :D
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby iamkickstand » May 10th, 2013, 7:18 pm

why? Are fatbikes for guys who suck? :mrgreen: :P
iamkickstand

Postby iamkickstand » May 10th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Doc_d wrote:1) Ride a lot
2) Ride really hard and really easy. Most people go out and ride at their "max comfortable pace" all the time. Riding around at 17 MPH all the time will make you good at riding 17 MPH. You should either be stressing your system or recovering.

Give it some time... It takes weeks of consistent work to start seeing the benefits. But over the course of a summer you can make huge improvements. Then the trick is to try to maintain those through the next season (which is where I *SUCK*).

I have 1 and 2 covered pretty well. I ride with 7 year olds, alone, with my fiance, and with some buddies, so all paces get covered pretty well.

I had hoped my crosstraining over the winter would have maintained a bit more cardio than it did. I think I am going to be buying a winter beater to ride on days warmer than 40* next winter, hoping that will help.
iamkickstand

Postby iamkickstand » June 4th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Lactic Threshold Hear Rate.

You can use a test like this in many different ways for many different sports.

Yes you could do it at Kensington, on a day when its not all that busy and you can "sprint" for 20 minutes.
iamkickstand

Postby djr21589 » June 4th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Thank you
djr21589

Postby djr21589 » June 5th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Doc_d wrote:20 minute efforts are mentally very tough. It takes a little practice to get good at them. Most people go out way, way, way too hard.

My best 20 minute power is a measly 240 watts. When I start a 20 minute test those 240 watts feel pretty easy for the first few minutes. Without a power meter I'm sure I'd go out at 400 - 500 watts for the first couple minutes, completely blow up and end up with an average considerably under 240 watts for the 20 minutes.

So when people say it's an "all out effort". They mean the best power you can sustain for 20 minutes. Ideally your power output during the first minute is very close to the power output of the last minute. If you start out "sprinting" you're going to blow up and end up with a poor overall performance over the full 20 minutes. So it takes some practice to gauge the effort you can sustain for a full 20 minutes but also have given it everything you had over that 20 minutes.

Well that sounds like just riding as hard as I normally do for like fastest lap times and such. Isn't that basically the same thing? Also can I do this test without any type of computer? or do I need a HR monitor?
djr21589

Postby iamkickstand » June 12th, 2013, 1:30 pm

That should help. do walking lunges, pushups pull ups (don't neglect upper body like many cyclists do), planks, skip rope, etc. Some good equipment free stuff.
iamkickstand

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques