Needing new wheels, options?

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Needing new wheels, options?

Postby balexander87 » May 1st, 2013, 7:15 pm

So I spent last weekend in Brown County giving my bike a good thrashing. Dropped it off at the LBS for a long overdue tune-up when I got back. Picked it up today and found out that the wobble I was seeing in the rear end was the result of more than just being a little out of true. It looks like the rim has been bent (true but severely uneven spoke tension would seem to confirm this). So, now I'm trying to figure out how to proceed, and would appreciate some input.

First of all, let me describe what I would want to end up with. I don't need something super light (don't race). I don't need something super burly (don't ride super gnarly stuff). I ride XC recreationally, but I like to push myself. I just would like something with a decent weight that is durable, with a slight edge going to durable. The current wheel is tubeless ready (although I'm running tubed) so I think it would be nice to retain that option in case I want to give it a try in the future.

The first option I am considering is buying a new rim and rebuilding the wheel. I bought the bike new less than two years ago, and the hubs are still in good shape. They're nothing super fancy (Specialized house brand) but they have sealed bearings and they get the job done. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get an exact replacement rim. It is a DT Swiss rim that came stock on my 2011 Rockhopper Pro 29er: a 485 D or something. I've not seen them anywhere else, so I'm not sure if they can be had. If not, is there an issue with running a different rim front and back? How much is this likely to cost? I'd be willing to try my hand at building the wheel up myself. Would probably take it by the LBS for a final check before hitting the trails, though.

The next option I'm considering is leaving this wheelset as is, putting some narrow tires on it, using it for the occasional road ride, and buying a replacement wheelset. If I were to go this route, I'd be looking for a used wheelset or perhaps a new "take-off" set from a higher end bike from the LBS. Again, looking for something quality that is durable and not terribly heavy.

I suppose I could also look into just getting a replacement rear wheel and use this one or sell this one to be used with a trainer.

Lots of options. Feeling a little lost. Thanks in advance for the help!
Last edited by balexander87 on May 2nd, 2013, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balexander87

Re: Bent rim, how to proceed?

Postby dnale » May 1st, 2013, 8:42 pm

I had a set of velocity rims done for my 29er. Actually the rear I used as-is from the factory build so it has the velocity hub. I had the front built to fit my 15mm thru axle. I rode a while with a stock Giant front wheel/hub and the velocity rear. No issue there. Some may prefer that as it gives you a different tire profile front/rear. Currently I have different hubs front/rear and I see no downside.

Sent from my Toshiba Excite via Tapatalk
dnale

Re: Needing new wheels, options?

Postby Sortaslow » May 3rd, 2013, 5:29 pm

amadkins wrote:I've blown quite a few shimano hubs out over the years. Including the xts. For the money, I don't think you can beat Hope hubs. Tough, high engagement, easy to work on, and moderately priced. I've got two sets that have given me zero trouble, and I'm 270.

Isn't that all solved now? That had been going on for so long, that I thought it was behind them.
Sortaslow

Postby AllMountin' » May 7th, 2013, 10:36 pm

balexander87 wrote:If I set my spending limit at $400, am I severely limiting myself?

If you can do 400, perhaps you could work a day of OT and squeeze out 500?

For a new build wheelset, I would think a WTB i23 build would be perfect for you. Wide, strong, and lightish.

Note: I'm not sure if you mentioned your specs, but these are thru axle hubs: http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-APBAMWS.html

i23 with e13 hubs, phil wood spokes, and DT nipples. I have a cheaper build i23 on my Mason, and beat the snot out of it. Only a couple/few months of hard riding, so no long term testing yet.

A quick release set with x9 hubs and DT spokes for 240 on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WTB-FREQUENCY-I23-29er-Tubeless-Mountain-bike-Wheelset-SRAM-X9-Hub-6-bolt-Disc-/330912348534#vi-content

There are some XT versions on there too, and other options for thru axle front. Just make sure the hubs match your rig(obviously).

Don't buy skinny rims. It's a waste of tire and grip.

Also, I have had a bearing failure on a Spesh hub out at Highland, though it wasn't on B loop. It was out on D, so I popped out to Beaumont and limped back to the TH. Kept throwing chain in front of the cassette if I slowed or stopped pedaling. Highly annoying.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby balexander87 » May 8th, 2013, 6:15 am

AllMountin' wrote:If you can do 400, perhaps you could work a day of OT and squeeze out 500?

For a new build wheelset, I would think a WTB i23 build would be perfect for you. Wide, strong, and lightish.

Note: I'm not sure if you mentioned your specs, but these are thru axle hubs: http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-APBAMWS.html

Thank you for the info. I have sort of come to the conclusion that I will be best served to wait until I can eke out a few more bucks towards this purchase. Seems like I'm at point where you can spend a little more and get a lot less (opposite of diminishing returns).

The i23s are definitely on my list of potential rims. Also looking into the Stans Flows or Arches, and Sun-Ringle Black Flags or Chargers. Probably some others, but those are what I can think of at the moment.

I do think I failed to mention the hub spec. I've got QR front and rear. XT hubs seem like they're sort of up my alley: decently performing hub with out any real frills. The issues with the freehubs is a bit disconcerting though. I would really like to be able to go with something like some Hope Pro II hubs, but that will definitely require me saving a few more bucks. Hoping to get a few perks at work in the next couple of months, so could put that towards the wheelset (salaried = no OT :evil: )
balexander87

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques