HCP work days

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: HCP work days

Postby Mike_D » April 25th, 2013, 11:29 am

I will be driving up late afternoon on Friday and have room in the Viberator if anyone from the West Michigan area wants to carpool and share the fuel cost (~$30 for gas each way).

Glen - Will the cabin be open when I get up there? Not sure if anyone else is using it also? Doug is not coming up so for all I know, it is just me in the mini-cabin.
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » April 25th, 2013, 11:43 am

mntn-biker wrote:I will be driving up late afternoon on Friday and have room in the Viberator if anyone from the West Michigan area wants to carpool and share the fuel cost (~$30 for gas each way).

Glen - Will the cabin be open when I get up there? Not sure if anyone else is using it also? Doug is not coming up so for all I know, it is just me in the mini-cabin.

Heh, you and at least two others. :)

The code for the cabin is the last four digits in my phone number, its ready and waiting. :)
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » April 25th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Will the bath houses be open/water be on or will I need to pack an alternate means of cleanup? Just thinking of post work cleanup so I don't stink up the cabin Sat. night. Hopefully others are thinking the same thing :roll:

I'm thinking the electric will be on in this cabin? Thinking of throwing in a mini Mr. Coffeemaker for the morning java kick start....
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » April 25th, 2013, 6:07 pm

mntn-biker wrote:Will the bath houses be open/water be on or will I need to pack an alternate means of cleanup? Just thinking of post work cleanup so I don't stink up the cabin Sat. night. Hopefully others are thinking the same thing :roll:

I'm thinking the electric will be on in this cabin? Thinking of throwing in a mini Mr. Coffeemaker for the morning java kick start....

The showers should be open, bring what ever it takes to make yourself at home. And I'll bring my coffee mug. :)
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » April 26th, 2013, 7:30 am

Most of my trail work days have been to show up in jeans & work boots. With this ride and clear, do you guys just wear your normal riding clothes or maybe some padded shorts under jeans? Just curious what you've done and what works best? I know I'm comfy wearing riding shorts when riding and thinking that wearing jeans during the ride would suck. Glen and I have been trying to decide boots and flats or riding shoes and clip ins with baggies...
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » April 26th, 2013, 7:35 am

I always wear bike shorts under some type of pant layer be it tights, wind pants or saw chaps. I avoid cotton as it doesn't dry very fast, gets heavy and stays heavy.

Typically I do my normal cycling shoes, but know it's going to be wet this year has me tempted on flats and boots.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » April 26th, 2013, 7:41 am

Good point about the cotton. I'll throw my riding tights in for the trip. Might start out with tights but shed them later in the day. Temps look to be mid 40's @ 8am but warming up to the mid 60's by mid afternoon.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.00473&lon=-84.14389269999998&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » April 26th, 2013, 7:46 am

Bringing the biggest camel back you have is a good call too. Extra cargo space to stash removed layers is very helpful.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » April 26th, 2013, 7:53 am

Mine's packed.

Doug had a question for me last night. How does the format go for trail clearing? Do we pair up and do certain sections of trail from road to road? He was just wondering how many miles we might traverse on the trail between roads or cars, etc. Do we get dropped off and meet up with the rest of the crew further down the trail? Or is this like the normal ride and we won't know until the morning of :wink:
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » April 26th, 2013, 7:57 am

mntn-biker wrote:Mine's packed.

Doug had a question for me last night. How does the format go for trail clearing? Do we pair up and do certain sections of trail from road to road? He was just wondering how many miles we might traverse on the trail between roads or cars, etc. Do we get dropped off and meet up with the rest of the crew further down the trail? Or is this like the normal ride and we won't know until the morning of :wink:

We work in two to three person crews clearing 7 to 10 miles between roads. We'll do a vehicle shuffle so you can just drive back to camp when your section is done.

Of course you always have the option of being a stud and riding back, but the saw pack gets heavy. :)
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby Nelg » May 7th, 2013, 4:11 pm

HCP work day #2 is upon us!

If you are rolling in from a long distance, we have secured the staff house for our use and we'll be staying Friday and Saturday nights. The official work day is Saturday May 11. Meet at the staff house just past forest headquarters at 9966 Twin Lakes Road, Vanderbilt, MI at 9:00. We'll have some on-trail snacks and extra water, but plan for a 6-8 hour day on the trail. This year the damage is worse than typical so some sections will be walked, but others will still be best suited by bike so bring your ride with ya.

Post trail day we'll provide food and age appropriate beverages. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing you guys there!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby G.Cook » May 7th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I'm a walk'en but I will bring the ride.
G.Cook

Postby feldpaj » May 8th, 2013, 9:34 am

very little discussion on the board this year. Tom and I are driving up from west Michigan, are you expecting a decent turnout for this trailday?
to do: bike-eat-brew beer-drink beer-board-hunt-sleep-work-
feldpaj

Postby Nelg » May 8th, 2013, 9:40 am

feldpaj wrote:very little discussion on the board this year. Tom and I are driving up from west Michigan, are you expecting a decent turnout for this trailday?

If we get the help of those rolling up from down state we'll be in good shape. We are expecting 8 to 10 including you guys and we can use it as the damage is pretty bad this year.

Bring clothes for both riding and walking, your section will determine equipment needed.

See you Friday!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby feldpaj » May 10th, 2013, 10:27 am

got the car packed full of junk and still feeling unprepared and like i may get wet and cold. At least there will be beer and food.
to do: bike-eat-brew beer-drink beer-board-hunt-sleep-work-
feldpaj

Previous

Return to NMMBA