CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » August 18th, 2014, 8:55 am

crappybiker4508 wrote:The "steep grade loose gravel" section is burly. Other than that the track is pretty nice. I moved some branches that fell over the trail. Also had a deer sniff my front tire near the wavey bridge, pretty amazing.

Thanks for doing that! Was that the stuff in front of Nessie / the wavy pump track bridge? Is it all clear now?
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby dinov » August 18th, 2014, 10:40 am

ok thanks wasn't sure where
dinov

Postby crappybiker4508 » August 18th, 2014, 2:08 pm

dinov wrote:Where is this new section exactly finally found the wave bridge but couldn't find it Saturday is after the ravine crossing?

Probobly not really rideable yet. I saw it but there's a lot of brush and rough stuff still
'01 stumpjumper fsr. Stoney Creek is home turf
crappybiker4508

Postby c0nsumer » August 18th, 2014, 2:11 pm

crappybiker4508 wrote:
dinov wrote:Where is this new section exactly finally found the wave bridge but couldn't find it Saturday is after the ravine crossing?

Probobly not really rideable yet. I saw it but there's a lot of brush and rough stuff still

No, it's not at all. Some of it is passable by bike (which is why I pointed it out) and I personally ride through most of it when I'm out there just to check flow of corners, but it's definitely not open trail. The work being done now is mostly rough cutting to establish the corridor, then when we have a trail day we'll get it polished up and made ridable. Like any new trail it'll be soft for a couple of months, but that's just how new trail is. It won't be long before the surface is smooth and fast, like the rest of River Bends.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby PK » August 18th, 2014, 2:51 pm

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroit/index.ssf/2014/08/plans_moving_forward_for_new_m.html#incart_river

Hmmmm......Maybe this will help get the paved trail done, or maybe it will hurt the paved trail.....

Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » August 18th, 2014, 3:40 pm

Wow. That's really cool. I can't see that doing anything but helping the paved path, as connecting a park to a baseball stadium is pretty huge. Maybe the railroad bed will become a rail trail instead? That'd be ideal, in my opinion.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby MCSmith » August 18th, 2014, 5:38 pm

Nice size tree down 50 yards before nessy. 15 footer fell right in the trail.
2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
2014 Trek Stache 7
MCSmith

Postby c0nsumer » August 20th, 2014, 2:28 pm

This'll be another day for trail work at River Bends. Want to join me? Find the new trail area at in the south end, just after the railroad track crossing from Utica. I hope to be out there from about 5pm until near dusk, or earlier if it rains. Bring loppers / trimmers, rake, etc. This is still rough trail clearing work.

I didn't get out to clear the downed tree before Nessie, but I'll try to get to it today.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby SteamDriven » August 20th, 2014, 6:43 pm

There is another large tree down accross the trail about 1/3 of the way around the trail.
The trail was still a bit sloppy tonight. Not my gouge marks in the wet bits.
Made for a slow ride but at least I got out.
The guy with the black Crave and weird accent... Usually found at the back!
SteamDriven

Postby tripleskulls » August 21st, 2014, 8:22 pm

While I was riding around on the two-track today, I nearly hit a Turkey... then it ran down the trail in front of me for about 50 yards... I felt like Wile E. Coyote chasing the Roadrunner.
tripleskulls

Postby c0nsumer » August 21st, 2014, 8:33 pm

Wow, that's the first I've heard of a turkey there. I don't believe I've ever seen any at River Bends before. Deer, yes. Coyotes, heard them and seen them at Holland Ponds, but turkey? Glad to hear they are there.

Phil / FLIPMODES, Mike / MCSmith, Jeremy Kozak, and I spent about four hours working each working on the new section of trail. It's coming along quite nicely, and all of it is rough cut except for some stuff along the ITC corridor and one little bit we chose/planned tonight. We're looking at having a trail day on the 31st to finish it off, so keep an eye out for that.

The downed trees are still there, but hopefully those'll be attended to this weekend. They were too far from where we were working to easily get them taken care of.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby SteamDriven » August 21st, 2014, 8:42 pm

There is a family of turkey's there. Saw the hen and her poults on the two track yesterday.
The guy with the black Crave and weird accent... Usually found at the back!
SteamDriven

Postby MCSmith » August 23rd, 2014, 3:57 pm

All down trees have been cut and cleared. Phil and I took care of both down trees. There is some slight chain saw work needed on the down tree after the drop feature. We got it so you can at least avoid it and stay on the trail.
2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
2014 Trek Stache 7
MCSmith

Postby c0nsumer » August 23rd, 2014, 4:16 pm

MCSmith wrote:All down trees have been cut and cleared. Phil and I took care of both down trees. There is some slight chain saw work needed on the down tree after the drop feature. We got it so you can at least avoid it and stay on the trail.

Nice! Thank you for doing that. I heard that you two might have laid out a good route down the banked / flowing downhill in the south end too...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby FLIPMODES » August 23rd, 2014, 9:36 pm

A little sampler for the banked berms. Work in progress. . . .
Looking up with log outline
Start to finish in motion with mystery rider. :lol:
The line will be clear and understandable once completed.
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments