CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Dodge Park Trail, AKA Clinton River Park Tr

Postby Mack » July 8th, 2011, 3:33 pm

The trail is bi-directional at this time. We would eventually like to make the trail a loop. Our goal for now is to make it rideable from spring till fall and that means adding gravel to the low spots and building a few more bridges. If and when the trail become a loop it will be tight quarters back there The trail already comes within feet of property lines. rod_munch and all others who may not be aware of this. The trail is also a multi use trail so PLEASE slow down and be courtous to other users. It never hurts to say "hi,hello" whatever just don't blow by them. from behind it tends to scare the s@!t out of people when we do this I know cause I walk that trail while working on it and have had it done to me. Belive it or not they don't here us coming most of the time . Also let them know you are going to pass them and on what side. I have seen hikers/runners move over on front of riders and both go down. Unfortunatley mountain bikers have gotten a reputation over the years. Thank you and sorry for the rant :D
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby Mack » July 8th, 2011, 6:56 pm

I did manage to get the south section from the trail entrance to the first climb marked while out for a morning ride. That flood plain section can be tough to follow in the spring but it is pretty well rode in right now. Also marked some of the tricky trail crossing where multiple trails cross should make it easier.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Roy » July 9th, 2011, 5:55 am

Remember to make the "on the Left" or "on the Right" call with time to stop. Over 90% of people I call out "on the Left" first look to the right and start to move to the left. It is almost 100% true on this trail.
That takes 2 seconds of reaction time away!
With restraint I resist, " on your other Left _____". Sometimes I say it softly after I pass them!
On that trail you never know what people will do! I even had a fat slow female rider say, " you can't pass me". She then tried to block my pass.
The exception to this rule is small children. If you startle small children, they almost always jump in front of your wheel. Try to get their parents attention first.
Roy
Roy

Postby Mack » July 9th, 2011, 3:00 pm

I never said the other trail users were smart. I just said be courteous. I am also finding less casual riders and more MMBA (serious) type riders on the trail now.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » July 14th, 2011, 5:54 pm

I put the finshing touches to the the section of trail I had been working on. The one with the blown out corner in the south ridges. Came out very nice. Should be fast once it's rode in. The trail between the orange flags is new tread and still very loose. I would use caution when entering this section from both directions till it firms up. Tamped it down the best I could. Needs alittle rain and to be rode.

While I was working a fellow rider came up and gave me some distrubing news someone had removed the backside of the logpile on the north end that has been there for as long as I can remember. I so want to belive that this was vandalism and not one of our own. When I got there it did not look like vandalism. The logs were removed in such a way that vandals would never take the time to do. The section was rideable except now it was a 2ft drop. The problem is the person who rode that logpile next thought there was a backside just like there has been 10+ yrs. And now that person has a broken collarbone. I still want to belive that this was vandalism but it sure looks like someone was making their own drop.When people get hurt back there the city hears about it. There are to many ramifications to go into hear and now. If you know who did this let them know this. That it is rebuilt. But if it happens again it will be chainsawed into peices so small you won't know there was ever a log there. And that section will be gone forever end of story.

Here is the rebuilt logpile hope it lasts. I know there is alot of dirt on it. It is really fast though now.

Here is the backside that was removed.

Sorry for the rant but it had to be said.
Last edited by Mack on July 15th, 2011, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » July 14th, 2011, 7:58 pm

I'm back had to have a c0cktail and cool off. Unfortunatly I had to remove a small logpile on the north end ridges. More people were riding around it then over it, which created a corner further up the trail and that corner was eroding now it is more of a straight and should end the erosion problem. I hated having to remove something I built and liked, but hardly anyone used that feature. So it had to be done to make that section more sustainable.

Here is the new line. Sorry for the pic quality must have flinched from a mozzie bite little buggers. Also should be a
fast line. I will do trail recliamation once new line is rode in.
Last edited by Mack on July 15th, 2011, 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby jer091 » July 14th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Looks great! Maybe I'll ride DPT/RB combo in the morning instead of Stoney. I admit I have bypassed that log pile myself (not enough confidence with my backup bike)
jer091

Postby canuck7783 » July 14th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Just rode this trail for the first time and i enjoyed it more then river bends. I had so much fun, awesome job. I am gonna go back tomorrow and do it again i had that much fun.
canuck7783

Postby Mack » July 15th, 2011, 7:52 am

Thank You!! :D :D I'm glad you enjoyed the trail. It really is a fun trail to ride. More features to come just have to get some other things done there first...
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » July 15th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Got a ride in late this morning. some thoughts on the three new/revamped sections. Coming from the south end the new orange flaged section was like riding through a sand trap on a golf course. I did manage to scrape most of it off the side of the hill with a big piece of bark down to the original tread that loose stuff never would have firmed up. Still needs alittle work but much better. The rebuilt logpile is REALLY fast both ways. Hit it the 2nd time through and scared the s@!t out of myself way to much air between my tires and terra firma (note to self not quite so fast next time) but fun as he!!. The new line where the small logpile was remove will solve the erosion problem further up the trail it's more of a straight now, that little up hill turn may need a small crib wall in the future time will tell.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby jer091 » July 15th, 2011, 8:36 pm

I too rode DPT/RB this morning and must say "Good Job". I too like the earthen/log pile, as it was large but very manageable, even with my noobish experience. and fun too (note to self, you can take it a little faster next time)... I also agree with the sand trap.

I still always want to head down into the ravine coming out of the (start area near marker 2) southern flood plain zag upto the ridge. I feel it should go straight but it curves to the inside of the large maple to the right.

Over all very good, and thank you.
jer091

Postby Mack » July 16th, 2011, 10:22 am

I'm not quite sure where exactly you are talking about. That southern flood plain section is always changing because of all the dead Ash trees in there. We should meet up for a ride so you can show me exactly where you are talking about. I'm always looking for new lines to make the trail flow better. Over the course of the last 2 yrs I have made many tweeks to the trail for better flow. I Would like to know the line your talking about. Thanks for your input!
Paul McAllister
Mack

Re: Metro North: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

Postby killendino » July 20th, 2011, 12:10 pm

I have ridden this trail for the first times, Monday and Tuesday evening. I am a beginning mountain biker. I like the trails a lot. There are some difficult climbs, for my out-of-shape-body, here and there, and some of the technical things are fun to do. I am able to handle most everything on the trail, but I generally take my time at it.

I really appreciate the maintenance of the trail; thank you very much to whoever is doing this!

As an aside, not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is a spot where I wiped out once, and put a foot down a second time. I enter the trail at Edison road, off the paved multi-use. It's actually on the way back that I run into trouble. There is a short sweeping left turn, with a small downhill heading in. This is on a ridge, with a drop-off to the right. The dirt at the bottom of the turn, is very soft and loose. The first time through, I laid the bike down on the side of the hill. No injury or anything, I just got dirty. I don't have a problem with the dirtiness, it's just more that the spot is treacherous and I can see the possibility for people taking wipes off the ridge there. The second time I rode the trail, I knew it was coming and was prepared, but I still had to put a foot down to steady myself on that soft dirt. I guess from a "flow" standpoint, I don't like this section of trail since with the downhill I am hoping to continue my speed up the hill at the end of the curve. Instead, it slows me right down and I am pushing hard to get up the hill, instead of "flowing" up it, if you will.

I am pretty sure the treacherous nature of this spot in the trail is known, since there are small orange flags on the drop-off side of the turn, in warning. I am not a construction guy, and just a newbie to mountain biking, so I am not at all sure how this might be fixed. Just wanted to bring it up here, as a warning. And maybe if one of the awesome trail maintainers is in the area, could have a look at that spot.

Thanks for an excellent trail!
killendino

Postby buckeyefan58 » July 22nd, 2011, 3:37 pm

found a POV video posted of the southern half of the trail (not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBxEaQlcKU
buckeyefan58

Postby Mack » July 22nd, 2011, 4:43 pm

He isn't speed racer that's for sure. Nice find thanks for posting it.
Paul McAllister
Mack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions