Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 13th, 2014, 8:23 am

Just got another 1/2 inch of rain last night. Seems that when the trail is about dry we get more rain and I'm talking an inch or more at a time, which has happened quiet a few times this year. We got something like 3.5 inches overnight two weeks ago ish? We had to take a pump down to the campground and we pumped water from campsites for an entire day.

Just a rainy spring...I mean year. If you got a cheap, easy solution for that let me know.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby G.Cook » July 13th, 2014, 11:25 am

"cheap ,easy solution" ? I'm sure there are easy solutions it's just that they are not cheap . :wink:
G.Cook

Postby Mike 373 » July 26th, 2014, 10:44 am

The trail is dry! A few muddy spots the consistancy of play-doh. The park staff has cleared the down trees and mowed. Face slappers down. South side will be mowed this week. Lots of small debris on the trails. I will be out with a rake next week. Glad to have the trail finally come around.
Mike 373

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 31st, 2014, 12:54 pm

This Saturday August 2nd will be busy on the trails. There is a run/race.

Also the consumers pipeline crew is replacing gas pipe on the pipe line near price rd where the trail crosses the pipeline. Hopefully they will be done soon. Lots of heavy machinery, vehicles and a very big, deep hole in the ground (dukes of hazzard type hole in the ground! I wouldn't try jumping it :wink: )...it is fenced when they are not working.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 2nd, 2014, 9:31 pm

Friday evening we got a bunch of rain. Saturday morning we had 800 runners on trail. Everyone came back muddy. I don't know what trail looks like now.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 9th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Had a nice hot dry week. I haven't been on trails but they should be pretty good. Anyone been out this weekend?
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 13th, 2014, 9:00 am

Bob,

I think Saturday Sept 6th MSU will be out for a trail day. I'm planning on rerouting by the swamp between 13-14. Also planning on rerouting by the equestrian trail water crossing so we have just an intersection instead of the shared trail. It would be equestrian trail marker E on the park trail map.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » August 13th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Dave I will put that on my calendar . That will make those sections so much better . Hopefully I will be out this weekend to ride on Sunday and will get a hold of you if I do . Bob
owosso bob

Postby jat07 » August 18th, 2014, 8:38 am

Just rode the trail Sunday and it was again soupy along the north portion, not sure which marker it would correlate to. Is this the area that is being looked at for the re-route? If not would it be possible to install a raised platform thru this section?
jat07

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 18th, 2014, 9:06 pm

That is probably a different section (north of the horse staging area?) That section probably needs something like you mentioned because it floods every year. I will mention it to the park supervisor again. He wants a trail that you can get a gator, mower and/or tractor down, so the raised platform would have to be big enough to support that. I don't think there is anyway to reroute that area, it all seems really low/ marshy almost. Anything else that needs improvements? Is the rest of the trail dry?

Thanks ,
Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 22nd, 2014, 3:46 pm

The park supervisor told me to look for a possible reroute east of marker #4. If thats not possible than I will talk to him again about a boardwalk of some type that wouldn't restrict emergency access anymore than a water/mudhole will do. We just had consumers energy gas pipeline workers in the park. They put down long railroad ties that were connected together to get through soupy areas of the pipeline with their trucks and heavy equipment. Maybe something like that would work back there. That would give at least 4 inches of height and probably more since it would probably be good to put a rock base down first.

I will probably not have time to go look at in until monday or my days off-tues/weds. I will check it out and try to solve the problem.

Thanks, Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 22nd, 2014, 4:25 pm

Or could we put some fabric down, then border the trail with some 6x8s or something big that we have around the shop. Then fill that in with large rocks at bottom and smaller stuff toward the top. There is a culvert there but its a low area that allows the trail to flood around it I think. So maybe building up the trail solve the riddle of that area.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby jat07 » August 23rd, 2014, 9:28 am

Thanks Dave, greatly appreciate the quick response and your efforts as well. Looking forward to a clean trail. Thanks.
jat07

Postby owosso bob » September 4th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Rode the trail this afternoon and it is in excellent shape except about 20 yards of trail where there is a mud hole that will be fixed at the work day Sat . There are also 3 -4 small spots that are easily avoidable that will be fixed with a gator load of gravel . Dave also is going to do a reroute to fix an area near the horse trail that will take some of the confusion away crossing the horse trail . I would like to thank DNR Dave and his crew for all of the work the last couple of years at Sleepy Hollow it is such a fun trail to ride now . WORK DAY SAT . SEPT . 6 , 9 : 00 Headquarters building .
owosso bob

Postby owosso bob » September 7th, 2014, 2:41 pm

A huge thank you to All who came out for the work day . We were able to get a lot of work done . A special thank you to the MSU students and their Prof who led the group doing 2 reroutes . Also Thank you to the MMMBA chapter what a huge response of man power . Thank you Greg from the Poto chapter for coming up also . DNR Dave and his crew is really trying to make this a fun trail to ride . We have more projects do get done in the future . We are determined to change the perspective people have of this trail . Please come and ride it you might be surprised .
owosso bob

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments