NMMBA: Hanson Hills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northern: Hanson Hills

Postby STP977 » November 24th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Anyone interested in building 4x at hanson hills?
STP977

Postby 2pawsryno » March 15th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Anyone been out to the trail lately? Is it rideable? Thanks!
2pawsryno

Postby MTB23 » March 23rd, 2010, 10:11 pm

Trail is completly rideable. Race loop is cleared of all fallen trees. Outter loop has a few downed trees, they should be out soon. Hard packed and fast! Get out and enjoy.
"If ya aint first, yer last"-Ricky Bobby
MTB23

Postby Napper » May 19th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Could anyone give info if the fire in Grayling is anywhere near Hanson Hills.
Everyone Dies But not Everyone Lives
Napper

Postby dauber76 » May 19th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Napper wrote:Could anyone give info if the fire in Grayling is anywhere near Hanson Hills.

Hanson Hills is about 20 miles away from the file. All roads around Hanson Hills are open, no road blocks.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby ninerhuyghe » May 30th, 2010, 11:10 pm

anyone know a good trail to ride in metro north that is comparable to hanson hills. I rode it once about 2 years ago and didn't do any single track. I was thinking north unit of bald mountain is pretty similar. any ideas?
alex
ninerhuyghe

Postby c0nsumer » May 30th, 2010, 11:24 pm

ninerhuyghe wrote:anyone know a good trail to ride in metro north that is comparable to hanson hills. I rode it once about 2 years ago and didn't do any single track. I was thinking north unit of bald mountain is pretty similar. any ideas?

I'd say Addison Oaks. I've only ridden Hanson once, but I remember it being fairly accessible with good site lines and fast sweeping curves, but with a few good climbs and downhills.

Bald Mountain is more fast wide trails with occasional sand and rocks and roots.

Better yet, do one than the other. They are only a mile and a half or so apart.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby ninerhuyghe » June 1st, 2010, 9:43 am

c0nsumer wrote:
ninerhuyghe wrote:anyone know a good trail to ride in metro north that is comparable to hanson hills. I rode it once about 2 years ago and didn't do any single track. I was thinking north unit of bald mountain is pretty similar. any ideas?

I'd say Addison Oaks. I've only ridden Hanson once, but I remember it being fairly accessible with good site lines and fast sweeping curves, but with a few good climbs and downhills.

Bald Mountain is more fast wide trails with occasional sand and rocks and roots.

Better yet, do one than the other. They are only a mile and a half or so apart.

yeah good point that would be a good ride. they are both probably swamped right now though.
alex
ninerhuyghe

Postby b_b » June 1st, 2010, 11:10 am

ninerhuyghe wrote:anyone know a good trail to ride in metro north that is comparable to hanson hills.
You might try Highland although I would rate Highland harder and more technical.
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » June 1st, 2010, 12:32 pm

b_b wrote:
ninerhuyghe wrote:anyone know a good trail to ride in metro north that is comparable to hanson hills.
You might try Highland although I would rate Highland harder and more technical.

Er, Highland is nice but it's the absolute opposite of fast and flow-y.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby str8flush24 » June 1st, 2010, 12:33 pm

Anyone know when the course will be marked for the race on Sunday? Thinking about pre-riding Saturday...
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby Nelg » June 1st, 2010, 12:55 pm

str8flush24 wrote:Anyone know when the course will be marked for the race on Sunday? Thinking about pre-riding Saturday...

Contact bwalk to see when he'll have it marked. Typically it's been the original inner loop skipping any re-routes that are not mandatory. There are two finish options, use the one that goes right off the two track at the top of the hill.

As for trails that are similar to Hanson Hills, think of the swoopy fun of PLRA but without the rocks and bit more sand. With any luck, we'll get some rain before the race this coming weekend, it's been too dry in northern Michigan.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby black2003ss » June 2nd, 2010, 3:05 pm

I was going to say PLRA is probably the closest as far as typical average speeds, handling skills, and climbing than anything else down here. If it rains enough, it might keep everything at bay.
black2003ss

Postby Jeffreykdc » July 12th, 2010, 8:51 am

That new outer loop needs about 10,000 more riders to ride it in. It was brutal. Other than that the sand was killing me. Is the sand natural or added? It looks like trail patch.
If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Jeffreykdc

Postby northernrider05 » July 12th, 2010, 12:00 pm

The outer loop is much smoother this summer, the sand is always an issue in Northern MI in the summer
"Bicycles may change,but cycling is timeless."
-Zapata Espinoza
northernrider05

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions