Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » March 30th, 2011, 7:53 am

Next two days are going to have the trail back in great shape.

Right now just a few muddy slick spots. Overall trail in good shape.
The mud hole on the back side of the parking lot has no more standing water. Plow right through the middle.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » April 8th, 2011, 10:09 am

Trail has greatly improved with the warm weather.
It is getting hard, fast, and only a few muddy spots left.
You can really take the corners fast.
Great riding right now.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby underdog » April 8th, 2011, 10:19 am

Thanks for the updates, I was thining about trying to get over there this weekend so I stopped in here to see if you had an update. I just bought a Cannondale road bike and also a used Schwinn Moab 1 XTR Mtn Bike, so I'll have to flip a coin and see which bike I grab.
underdog

Postby gtrowbridge » April 8th, 2011, 11:07 am

underdog wrote:Thanks for the updates, I was thining about trying to get over there this weekend so I stopped in here to see if you had an update. I just bought a Cannondale road bike and also a used Schwinn Moab 1 XTR Mtn Bike, so I'll have to flip a coin and see which bike I grab.

I read that Edwards Creek is open up in Greenville too. Not to far north of Ionia. So you could do both.

Someday whenever the Clinton-Ionia-Shaiawasee Rail Trial opens up you could ride to Ionia and then on to Greenville. If one were so inclined..and in great shape.
gtrowbridge

Postby Bigtymer » April 11th, 2011, 11:05 am

Wow, that would be a fun ride, connecting the two trails together. Ionia is such a great flowing trail! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby gtrowbridge » April 21st, 2011, 12:04 pm

Trails were very slick last night in some spots and I was just walking.
I suspect there are many spots beyond what I walked that are the same.
Possible puddles and mud holes in the usual spots.
We've had a lot of rain.

However the majority of the trail is rideable.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » April 22nd, 2011, 9:07 am

East loop was very muddy last night. Avoid it for a while.
However the west loop was in great shape with only one mud hole.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » April 30th, 2011, 6:31 am

West loop good. A few puddles but I cut drains into them last night so hopefully just muddy now.
East loop bad. Avoid. Lots of flooding on it with no place to go except sit on the trail and wait for the sun.

Bottom line...ride the west loop twice. :)
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » May 6th, 2011, 11:43 am

East loop - muddy in spots however the mud is dry enough to not stick to your tires. Ride-able.
West loop - large sections of standing water over peddle deep on the beginning section that is on the north side of the parking lot. Best to start the west loop from the gravel road. Great beyond that. Little slick in some of the corners in the woods and lower areas.

The problem is if you ride the east loop there currently is no good way to get re-connected to the west loop without hitting the north side of the parking lot...unless you know where the cut in from the rail bed is toward the end of the east loop. Someday that rail trail will get done and give more options. I already have a plan to raise that low section out of the wet and onto the hill (DNR willing) so that problem will go away too.
gtrowbridge

Postby underdog » May 9th, 2011, 10:12 am

Worked on my mtn bike for 3 hours yesterday, put the crossmax wheel set on the bike, XTR levers, brakes and shifter pods are on. It's all xtr now except LX crank and front derailer. Put some new teflon coated cables and new computer with heart rate monitor...oh and much needed new grips and carbon bottle cage. Should be ready to roll now, been doing the roadie thing on my new Cannodale for the past couple weeks due to all the rain.
underdog

Postby gtrowbridge » May 9th, 2011, 10:36 am

underdog wrote:Worked on my mtn bike for 3 hours yesterday, put the crossmax wheel set on the bike, XTR levers, brakes and shifter pods are on. It's all xtr now except LX crank and front derailer. Put some new teflon coated cables and new computer with heart rate monitor...oh and much needed new grips and carbon bottle cage. Should be ready to roll now, been doing the roadie thing on my new Cannodale for the past couple weeks due to all the rain.

Cool. Sounds like you are ready to get dirty.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » May 19th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Go Ride.
There are only a couple of spots with water left.
Where you first enter the woods on the west loop it is very very muddy for quite a distance. Enjoy it while you can. Eventually that portion of trail will be raised up on the hillside.
If you want to avoid that mud you can go up the foot trail just before it that returns to the parking lot and then ride down the gravel road to reconnect.

Trails are a little bit greasy in the woods but only to the point that you leave tire tracks.
Anything out along the road is in great shape as the gravel base continues to hold its form.

The east side is reported to be moist but rideable. Feel free to get up into the grass to avoid mud or water if any. That trail could stand to be widened out.
gtrowbridge

Re: Western: Ionia - ATTN Volunteers

Postby gtrowbridge » May 19th, 2011, 8:23 pm

If you would like to adopt a trail section please let me know!
You can choose one or I can give you one.
No mowing required.
At the most maybe a string trimmer, but mainly just clearing fallen branches and trimming back the shrubs and thorny things.

Since everything was put back in check last year there is no real major trimming to do. Just regular maintenance to stay on top of things.

PM me or just reply here. Whichever.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » May 19th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Forgot to mention.

The flowers and bushes are in bloom around the trail...so are the mosquitoes. Come prepared so you can enjoy your ride to the fullest.
Or better yet don't stop and just keep flying down the trail. They can't catch you if you never stop!
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » May 24th, 2011, 7:45 am

East Loop - Still muddy and still some standing water.
West loop - greasy spots in the woods, some standing water in few spots, some shrub branches hanging in the trail.
Also a tree down on the west loop just after the first big hill as you come up through a gully.
gtrowbridge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions