CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby c0nsumer » June 14th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Trail was in good shape today, the remaining spots are drying nicely, but the trail will definitely be needing a haircut soon.

Also, does anyone know what that terrible smell is near The Chute-ish area? I thought it might be horse *beep* because the trails are so close there, but the smell just kept going for quite a ways. It'd take a mighty impressive horse to stink up an area that large.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby plaindave » June 15th, 2014, 8:53 pm

The smell is a compost site off of white lake road. Basically they are just dumping there and collecting the fees but not managing the compost. They just pile it up and let it rot - thus the smell. And there is nothing you can do about it. The property is zoned agriculture and the DNR doesn't have the manpower to police them. All we can do is hope for cool weather to keep the stench down.
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-- Frank Zappa
plaindave

Postby c0nsumer » June 15th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Ah! That makes a lot of sense. That's exactly what it smelled like, compost that isn't turned enough. I'm surprised the neighbors don't throw a fit.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Kirby » June 17th, 2014, 8:55 am

The trail is still great! Still one of my favorite trails in SE Michigan.
2011 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper HT
2013 Salsa El Mariachi Single Speed - Limited Edition
2013 Salsa Vaya 2
2014 Specialized Crux Expert
Kirby

Postby compacted_graphite » June 17th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Trail conditions for Tuesday June 17, 2014. Trail is unobstructed although somewhat shaggy. Lack of rain has produced dry, dusty, and sandy trail conditions.
compacted_graphite

Postby c0nsumer » June 17th, 2014, 11:14 pm

CRAMBA-IMBA has made a new map of Pontiac Lake available. It is intended to provide a to-scale picture of the MTB (and surrounding) trails at PLRA. Marker posts, mile markers, and points of interest (eg: Mile Two Hill, The Chute) are accurately located.

Check it out here: http://mmba.org/library/maps/pontiaclak ... n-2014.pdf

It is also available as an overlay on the MMBA Trail Guide: http://mmba.org/trail-guide/?trail=1

Please let me know if you have any feedback on this map.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby RMXByker » June 18th, 2014, 6:17 am

Great work Steve. Looks awesome! Appreciate the hard work you put into all these maps for all our usage.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2006 Bianchi M.U.S.S. (MTN Single Speed)
2007 26" Specialized Epic Marathon (Geared full squish)
2011 Salsa Vaya (Do all bike)
RMXByker

Postby c0nsumer » June 18th, 2014, 6:29 am

RMXByker wrote:Great work Steve. Looks awesome! Appreciate the hard work you put into all these maps for all our usage.

You're welcome; this was a fun one to do. :)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby brokenbones » June 19th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Tree down across the bottom of the Chute. About a 12 incher, so a chain saw will be needed. No other obstructions, and just a little damp this evening.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby compacted_graphite » June 21st, 2014, 8:08 pm

Trail conditions for Saturday, June 21, 2014: the offending tree at the bottom of the chute/corkscrew has been adjusted by two aging retirees with pry sticks to roll it out of the way. Your path out of the gully is now clear for takeoff. There were quite a few wet spots but overall our two riders did not get excessively dirty. Trail remains shaggy and anyone who feels empowered to trim the brush back, please have at it. The next trail day isn't for a couple of months (August 9).

To Steve, who is chairman/director/president/leader of our local IMBA chapter CRAMBA - nice map. Looks sharp. Thank you.
compacted_graphite

Postby ReidRules18 » June 29th, 2014, 7:37 am

How are the trail conditions? Heading out from the west side of the state today and plan on riding.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby oldkhs » June 29th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Trail closed IMO.
Rode about 100 yds starting at cross rd trailhead an hour ago. Many large puddles and a lot of gooey slick stuff in spots that I have never seen damp in a few yrs.

This was due to a few short downpours from 12-2 today.

I bailed and rode stupid sidewalks.
oldkhs

Postby ReidRules18 » June 30th, 2014, 11:51 am

oldkhs wrote:Trail closed IMO.
Rode about 100 yds starting at cross rd trailhead an hour ago. Many large puddles and a lot of gooey slick stuff in spots that I have never seen damp in a few yrs.

This was due to a few short downpours from 12-2 today.

I bailed and rode stupid sidewalks.

Yes, I went riding out there in the afternoon and got caught in a huge downpour. I bailed out at the campground and took the roads back.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby smartblast.org » July 2nd, 2014, 4:21 pm

Trail was just a little muddy until around 11 when a storm rolled in. North side got sprinkle, south side got saturated (too muddy to ride IMO).

Did a couple hours of face slapping trimming today. Got what ever hit me in the face, ripped the skin or until the bugs got so bad I had to move on. Should notice the difference up until the stand of pines after cross road. That was when I lost the nippers, got really wet and muddy.

Plenty of opportunity for more trimming and it would not TC's feelings at all. Anyone doing two laps could do a little trimming on the first lap to get warmed up and then get a good fast second lap in :)
smartblast.org

Postby amadkins » July 4th, 2014, 3:33 pm

North half was good to go today around 1300.
amadkins

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments