Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby chris_f » August 18th, 2005, 12:04 pm

BRIDGE OUT!

The black diamond bridge left of the wooden walking bridge is broken and out. Looks like someone tried to block it off with fallen branches; I added some further up where that section of trail starts.

Let us all know if volunteers are needed to help repair.
chris_f

Postby bill_m » August 18th, 2005, 12:36 pm

Yes, the A-frame has died. Every time I checked it you could tell that it is closed. Thanks for adding to the brush piles!

We have the lumber to re-build it. We just need to put together a crew to do it. If you are interested in helping, I will post the time/date here once we have it.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Olsen, Leslie park trail, west side of M-14

Postby sisu » August 26th, 2005, 6:28 am

Many thanks to those who mowed the trail, it looks great. I'd be happy to help next time. Is it ok w/ AA parks dept to mow that east connector trail in Olsen? ie the trail that follows the eastern edge of the park along the row of new condos.

I'm impressed with how much mowing someone did, ie parts of Leslie and the trail immediately west of M-14. It really makes it a sweet trail. . .
sisu
Administrator

AA Loop

Postby sisu » August 26th, 2005, 6:48 am

My new favorite AA Loop is to park at Bandemer, start on the west side of M-14, then over to the east side of M-14/Cloverdale over to Leslie park and the ladder trail. When I emerge from the ladder trail I head through the park and then down that dirt road that leads to Dhu Varren. I cross Dhu Varren, ride Olsen park and then backtrack to Bandemer. Hit the Bluffs if I have time. Usually out-n-back rides are a bore, but not on a twisty, up-n-down trail like this.

The only glitch is that dirt road piece. Any idea whose land that is? It is adjacent to Leslie Park and the golf course, so I wonder if the city owns it. Next time you ride down that dirt road (heading north to Dhu Varren) notice the large parcel of woods to your right. A ribbon of singletrack there would make a nice connector between the ladder trail and Olsen.
sisu
Administrator

Postby bill_m » August 26th, 2005, 7:29 am

That parcel is privately owned. It is on the City of AA's list of aqusitions to save it from development, but the owner's have to agree on timing, terms, etc. For the time being, it is just a nice connector. I especially like the dirt piles they put in to try and prevent vehicular traffic on the two track. You can ride over the top and between the mounds!

We scoped out the woods a few years ago. It would be a very cool trail!

Oh yeah, that was me making good use of the new Poto Chapter mower!! Thanks for noticing.
bill_m

Postby bill_m » September 4th, 2005, 2:21 pm

The original A-Frame across the creek is back and better than before!! The Pond Loop is a must ride from now on.

Thank you to the crew that made this project happen. Great work!!
bill_m

Postby bill_m » September 16th, 2005, 12:45 pm

I just received some bad news today. A runner was recently injured on one of
the two "stunts" at Olson Park and is attempting to sue the City of Ann Arbor.
As a precaution, the City has decided that the two stunts must be taken down for
the time being. The materials are being saved off site, but the next time you
ride at the park you will see that they are missing.

I have made sure that the city has the IMBA liability resources and will help
them however I can. But for now I am asking that we, the MTB community, lay low
and allow the stunts to be absent for a while until this thing calms down.
Please do not attempt to re-build them.

I will pass along updates as I receive them.
bill_m

Postby Leroi Brown » September 16th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Great! Just what we need! The sickness of our sue-happy society has now spread to runners. What was he doing messing around on mountainbike stunts anyways?? Per IMBA guidelines, there are trails around all of those stunts, thus, not necessitating his even being on them.

I mean, I hope he's not seriously injured, but why sue the City? This is ridiculous!
Last edited by Leroi Brown on September 16th, 2005, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby bentmettle » September 16th, 2005, 1:15 pm

We met a runner on the trails yesterday. Runners like MTB trails....
/\/\att |3ushore
bentmettle

Postby jar862 » September 16th, 2005, 6:48 pm

Maybe we should put a few really high ladders or drops in. Maybe all the runners will follow each other off of them and thus causing a mass extintion.
jar862

Postby Todd Scott » September 16th, 2005, 6:49 pm

Bill: Please keep me in the loop on this. We really don't need this to cause repercussions elsewhere in the state. Then again, if this case proves favorable to the good guys (land manager, MMBA), it could potentially help us.

Darn trail runners! 8)
Todd Scott

Postby Kona Hopper » September 17th, 2005, 7:24 am

jar862 wrote:Maybe we should put a few really high ladders or drops in. Maybe all the runners will follow each other off of them and thus causing a mass extintion.

That's funny...... :!:
Life is too short so, take a big gulp and enjoy
Rob
Kona Hopper

Postby Todd Scott » September 17th, 2005, 7:53 am

Please note that with this (actual or threatened) lawsuit, what gets said on this public forum may become evidence in court. Specific comments about the stunts is probably not in our best interests right now. Non-serious stuff is probably fine, and it is funny.
Todd Scott

Postby Sherpaboy » September 17th, 2005, 8:02 am

but why sue the City? This is ridiculous!

$$$$$$$$$$

I think someone saw an opportunity...and has taken the selfish road in an effort to prosper.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby Kona Hopper » September 17th, 2005, 8:45 am

Kona Hopper wrote:
jar862 wrote:Maybe we should put a few really high ladders or drops in. Maybe all the runners will follow each other off of them and thus causing a mass extintion.

Todd Scott wrote:Please note that with this (actual or threatened) lawsuit, what gets said on this public forum may become evidence in court. Specific comments about the stunts is probably not in our best interests right now. Non-serious stuff is probably fine, and it is funny.

Disclaimer
The views and opinions stated in this forum ( and others ) are not necessarily those of the MMBA, MMBA representatives, or sponsors. Or for that matter anyone else wishing not to be part or take part here in the act of being sued
Life is too short so, take a big gulp and enjoy
Rob
Kona Hopper

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions