MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby ibisman » June 6th, 2009, 2:13 pm

did 5 laps this morning and did some cleaning up of low branches and face slapping brush. Hundreds of little kids in red uniforms all over the place , what was this a chairman obama rally or something? whups.... baseball. never mind.
ibisman

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 7th, 2009, 2:02 pm

First time at HG today... it's 2mi from home, so I rode there and did a couple quick laps. Great course!
Dry, only a couple spots that were damp at all... no rooster tails or anything like that...
Foliage was pretty well under control, only a couple face slaps.
Had one problem at a switch... hit some sand and didn't see it coming... Been a long time since I rode single track, and this is the hardest part for me to get used to with my suspension.
ColorVoyeur

Postby Apps » June 8th, 2009, 10:17 am

Thanks for the help out there ibisman....it's been hard for me to get out there recently to get those cut back...I also have to get a couple "leaners" cut out after the river crossing area....I've been trying to let the big one fall before I tackle it but I may not have that luxury as it's becoming a bigger issue by the week....

If everyone took a couple minutes before or after their ride to trim any of our trails, the trails would be in even better condition...thanks again....

Justin
Co-TC, "The Hick"
Apps

Postby Bruck » June 8th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Justin, is there a 'rule-of-thumb' for trimming?

How big a diameter? Where to cut it? Where to dump the trimmings? Just use common sense?
Bruck

Postby Apps » June 8th, 2009, 1:16 pm

A lot of it is common sense. Drag all trimmings off of the trail and back far enough so it doesn't look like a dump on the sides of the trail. I like to keep a pretty wide corrider from face slappers if I can. I've heard the general rule of raising your hand over your head and if it hits something, get rid of it. This helps for taller riders and if you are out of the saddle. imagine If you're 5'2 cutting back stuff to your head height.....it would be ok for you but imagine the guy who's 6'4....

As far as the sides go, I try and cut them back to the main trunk (leave a little nubbin if possible to help healing). If leaving a nubbin would be a possible hazard (grab clothing or rip some skin off if you rub agains it on the inside of a turn, I'd cut it all the way back.... I also try to pay attention to the sight lines of a corner so people can see through them as much as feasible.

If you want, maybe we can hook up out there and do some work and I can show you what I'm talking about...

Justin.
Apps

Postby Bruck » June 9th, 2009, 7:00 am

That works.
It is hard for me to schedule anything.. between work, having a 15 month old and a 7 month pregnant wife at home.......
I am going to TRY to get down there Wednesday night and trim a few things that I noticed this weekend... if Ibisman didn't already get the few I am thinking of.

Thanks for the info.
Bruck

Postby ibisman » June 9th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Got some more today and cleared a way under a bad leaner around a right turn.
ibisman

Postby Apps » June 10th, 2009, 2:34 pm

I'm going to try and head out there tonight ot get a leaner and the trees down in the Disneyland Loop by Oakley Park....if you hear a chainsaw running...it'll be me....Hope to be there no later than 6pm

Justin
Apps

Postby Apps » June 11th, 2009, 8:19 am

Got out there last night and took care of the Oakley Park/Disney Land Loop down tree. Also took care of the leaner on a right hand turn after the river crossing....I might be setting up a trail day at the end of the month to take care of the face slappers and maybe some wheed whacking/mowing....Thinking 6/28 or 6/29....

Justin
Apps

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 13th, 2009, 11:22 am

Did two laps in 1:15 today... Only a couple damp spots. Great condition as usual.

There was one good leaner at the end of the first half that nearly took me out of my saddle, I'll have to go back tomorrow with less hangover and see how bad it really is. Maybe it was me taking it too tight.
First time running fast and really enjoying the obstacles.
Let me know when you want some help out there... 240lbs of trail clearing at your service :) I live at Benstein and Maple, so I can always be out in a couple minutes.
ColorVoyeur

Postby MikeBl » June 17th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Just had to "test the waters" today after work. Trail was remarkable. Very firm and 100% rideable. A few areas with standing water, but basically no mud.
MikeBl

Postby Apps » June 18th, 2009, 9:31 am

THe trail dries extremely fast...I've got to look in to a couple areas that are getting worse but overall...this place just soaks up the water...I'm constantly amazed by it.....

Justin
Apps

Postby fizgig » June 18th, 2009, 12:18 pm

what does TTF mean on the map? all these acronyms... now I know what non-geeks must feel like when us computer nerds talk.
fizgig

Postby nhjeffs » June 18th, 2009, 1:47 pm

fizgig wrote:what does TTF mean on the map? all these acronyms... now I know what non-geeks must feel like when us computer nerds talk.

I believe that means "Technical Trail Feature". :)
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby fizgig » June 18th, 2009, 2:26 pm

ahh, now i know that and bottom bracket, thanks.
fizgig

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions