CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby RMXByker » May 14th, 2014, 10:01 am

RMXByker wrote:No kidding, why would they grade it during a time of the year with some of the most likely high down pour rates. Seems like a pretty [redacted] error on the parks side...

It seems that my original verbage was deemed inappropriate by the forum police so I will utilize the words "mentally handicap" in its place...
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2006 Bianchi M.U.S.S. (MTN Single Speed)
2007 26" Specialized Epic Marathon (Geared full squish)
2011 Salsa Vaya (Do all bike)
RMXByker

Postby PK » May 14th, 2014, 10:56 am

It's probably just come up on the schedule of things to do out there.
Also, given the equipment on hand at the park, (A few tractors, no dozers) it's likely that it can only be effectively graded when it is wet.
Regardless of when it gets done, it would need rain to compact it anyway. It would just be loose all the time if done during the dry season.
A week or two from now, nobody will know the difference.
Too bad they never installed the drainage they intended to a few years ago on the western 2-track.....

Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » May 14th, 2014, 11:22 am

PK wrote:Too bad they never installed the drainage they intended to a few years ago on the western 2-track.....

Yeah, that's the worst of it... Just a couple culverts and things would be much better.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » May 16th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Stony is in surprisingly good shape. If you want to ride single track, it is damp but firm. There are some LARGE wet spots in The Pines and on the two track so avoid them, but there is still plenty to be enjoyed
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby gman122889 » May 18th, 2014, 6:12 am

Stony was very rideable yesterday. I did a few loops. The only bad wet spots were on the two track in the northwest corner of the trail network. There was some mush in the pines too. Everything else is nice!
gman122889

Postby RMXByker » May 20th, 2014, 10:50 am

Anyone over by Stony by chance? Wondering if its ridable today, want to take a work group out there.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2006 Bianchi M.U.S.S. (MTN Single Speed)
2007 26" Specialized Epic Marathon (Geared full squish)
2011 Salsa Vaya (Do all bike)
RMXByker

Postby kbputnam » May 20th, 2014, 11:02 am

It was great yesterday evening. One wet spot in the pines but not a big deal. Stay away from the back green. Roller Coaster and Snake are in great shape. Enjoy.
kbputnam

Postby xycarp » May 22nd, 2014, 6:01 pm

OK... here is a challenge...

Try to ride the coaster and the back nine without touching your brakes. It sounds easy but it is actually quite hard. There are a few spots where even if you don't pedal you have too much momentum to take a the next turn without slowing down. We went through trying to do it twice last weekend and missed on different turns each time.

I promise it will make you look at the trial differently! :)
xycarp

Postby lawn dart » May 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm

I love it!
lawn dart

Postby utabintarbo » May 22nd, 2014, 9:44 pm

I find it difficult to ride the Pines without hitting my brakes at some point. :P
utabintarbo

Postby bh357 » May 23rd, 2014, 6:36 am

xycarp wrote:OK... here is a challenge...

Try to ride the coaster and the back nine without touching your brakes. It sounds easy but it is actually quite hard. There are a few spots where even if you don't pedal you have too much momentum to take a the next turn without slowing down. We went through trying to do it twice last weekend and missed on different turns each time.

I promise it will make you look at the trial differently! :)

I've ridden everything at Stony without touching the brakes: coaster, snake, back nine, pines, even the woohoo downhill.
Granted I was running fixed gear at the time :wink:
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby madmike23 » May 23rd, 2014, 9:11 am

That does sound very hard. Even if you just coast off the top of some of the hills, you pick up some serious speed goin down... Maybe start a new thread this. Call it "Carnage pics from NOT Using brakes at Stoney"

As far as trail conditions go, I was curious as to future trail enhancements to help water removal from the outer trails?
madmike23

Postby c0nsumer » May 23rd, 2014, 9:17 am

madmike23 wrote:As far as trail conditions go, I was curious as to future trail enhancements to help water removal from the outer trails?

There's not a ton we can do there, for two reasons. One, maintenance of the two track is under the park's responsibility. While we clean up a few things along it, our responsibility only extends to the single track. Two, the outer stuff in the northwest is in the middle of a floodplane. Without culverts being put in and the trail surface raised a bit, water will continue to flow straight across the trail, which is what happens now.

I'd think the best we could do is as we have in the past: making small nicks/grooves across the trail surface to help the water drain in a straight line. After all, a 6" wide 2" deep stream is better to cross than 50' of wet dirt. Unfortunately, these get obliterated whenever the park grades the trail.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby MambaRider728 » May 25th, 2014, 7:33 pm

The trails were in great shape today! There were a couple sticky spots in the pines but it was mostly on the outside edges of the trail. The roller coaster, snake and back nine were dry... The two track still has some wet spots but nothing unmanageable, the puddles are very small/shallow except one or two
2013 Trek Mamba *Upgrades coming soon*

"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do"
-Warren Miller
MambaRider728

Postby Xtian1206= » May 29th, 2014, 10:09 am

has anyone ventured into riding here yet? planning to ride later this afternoon if trail conditions allow.
Xtian1206=

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments