MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

Postby mclouthken » May 1st, 2014, 7:23 pm

I walked the first 3.5 miles(to paved trail) and the last 0.5mile late this afternoon picking up sticks and branches. I saw standing water in the creek bed(2x6 board), one muddy spot and a lot of slick greasy areas throughout. There was some additional rainfall after my walk, so I'm sure the conditions are worse now. I would say she needs a day without rain to dry up a bit.

I found a orange and clear water bottle on the trail and left it on the kiosk.
Ken

2013 Specialized EPIC Comp 29
2013 Trek Rig SS
2004 Gary Fisher Cake 3 - RIP
"If you never fall, you're just not trying"
mclouthken

Postby Brenton » May 3rd, 2014, 9:04 am

Rode Hickory on 5/2 and was very impressed with the new trail maintenance that was done towards the house, nicely done. Thank you to all the volunteers who participated in that construction.
This may be a question that someone who is familiar with this area might know. When traveling eastbound towards South Commerce Rd you can visibly see what appears to be a pump track on the north side of the road.

Does anyone know if this is part of the Hickory Trail System or someone’s private property fun time?
If it is part of Hickory how do you access it?

Thanks in advance.
Brenton

Postby Spinwheel » May 3rd, 2014, 11:11 am

Brenton wrote:Rode Hickory on 5/2 and was very impressed with the new trail maintenance that was done towards the house, nicely done. Thank you to all the volunteers who participated in that construction.
This may be a question that someone who is familiar with this area might know. When traveling eastbound towards South Commerce Rd you can visibly see what appears to be a pump track on the north side of the road.

Does anyone know if this is part of the Hickory Trail System or someone’s private property fun time?
If it is part of Hickory how do you access it?

Thanks in advance.

You're welcome!

The dirt jumps you speak of are not on park property, they're on private property and belong to the nearby homeowner.

Back to the recently trailwork, an old logpile (after the Red House) was rebuilt during the trailday, and has been modified by someone since then. We're looking at it to make sure its height to length ratio makes sense for the area, and will adjust it to make sure its solid. After that, please don't mess with it, thanks for your patience.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby steveracer » May 3rd, 2014, 2:44 pm

Trail is in good shape to ride today.

#lb
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby galaxydean » May 5th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Trail is pristine except for a leaner not too far from the start. It's been there for quite a while but the winds last week have lowered it so much it pushes you out of the trail to the left.
dean
galaxydean

Postby mclouthken » May 6th, 2014, 1:44 am

No standing water, no mud, no greasy spots, no down trees....just sweet trail conditions!
Ken

2013 Specialized EPIC Comp 29
2013 Trek Rig SS
2004 Gary Fisher Cake 3 - RIP
"If you never fall, you're just not trying"
mclouthken

Postby mperlove » May 15th, 2014, 6:19 am

How long does this trail usually take to dry out? I've never ridden it and would like to check it out, but with all the rain we've had lately I can only imagine the trail would be a mess.
mperlove

Postby Spinwheel » May 15th, 2014, 5:16 pm

mperlove wrote:How long does this trail usually take to dry out? I've never ridden it and would like to check it out, but with all the rain we've had lately I can only imagine the trail would be a mess.

"How long does the trail take to dry out?" Difficult to say - depends on many variables .. this trail has sandy soil so it will drain quicker than a clay based soil.

Mon/Tues we had just over an inch of rain and not much accumulation since then but high humidity at times, we're not supposed to get any tonight (20% chance) so I would guess it should be ok later afternoon tomorrow (Friday) but if not you can always ride the two tracks and paved trails that run through the area..

I got out yesterday in the misty rain and did another minor re-route in section 18 that we didn't get to last trail-day.. It will be a little soft until its worn in. Trans-planted a few trees.
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby mperlove » May 16th, 2014, 5:42 am

Thanks TIm, I look forward to giving it a ride!
mperlove

Postby mjbl » May 19th, 2014, 8:51 am

As one would expect, The Hick was in fine shape yesterday...............
Wake up happy.
mjbl

Postby Loren » May 21st, 2014, 7:38 pm

I see some kids mucked up a wooden trail feature...
Loren

Postby galaxydean » May 21st, 2014, 8:17 pm

Loren wrote:I see some kids mucked up a wooden trail feature...

And dug some large holes in the free ride area. Heads up!
dean
galaxydean

Postby Pete B » May 22nd, 2014, 10:20 pm

I rode by a group of guys digging BMX type jumps on Sunday. Now I see the wooden structure ramp has been removed and lies sawed in half by the new dirt jumps. Be sure to thank them for the vandalism if you see guys on BMX bikes, one who has an extremely loud but limited vocabulary. The sheer frequency of f bombs was practically gold medal worthy, as was their selfishness in wrecking a nice trail feature.
Pete B

Postby Spinwheel » May 23rd, 2014, 8:00 am

The vandalism is certainly a shame but is nothing new at this park. Obviously the police can not patrol this remote area so appreciate everyone keeping an eye on it and thanks to whomever left the note out there for the BMXers.

If the wreckage they create gets fixed over time eventually they move on. I took most of the ramp pieces they cut up and rearranged some dirt.

If they were smart they would go to some effort to find out if they could build stuff like that in the park, and maybe they could. They don't sound too smart from the description above.
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby vette-ss » May 23rd, 2014, 8:29 am

Cell phone pics of said d-bags are worth a thousand words.
vette-ss

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments