Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby BigfootDenny » April 28th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Hermannator wrote:Large Widowmaker on Murray on the uphill right before the Murray shortcut (can be accessed from the Bishop/Bauer intersection). A big tree hanging over the trail caught up in a smaller tree that is bent like a banana. A little scary to ride underneath. The tree is well above the trail and probably could be overlooked by the casual rider. However, when this comes down, anyone underneath would be in a world of hurt.

Bill -- I nicknamed that tree the "Terminator" last fall... and it is pretty unsettling. I'm hoping it will be removed in the near future, as I see it as a potentially bad situation also.
Reid -- many riders are anxious to hear about reclaiming the section of the Lost loop that was closed last fall pending evaluation of the three remaining downfall areas impeding the trail. As you have already stated, there is great potential to utilize some of those areas to make some cool trail features or reroutes if desired. It sounds like you have some good ideas and input, so keep at it...
BigfootDenny

Postby reidabel » April 28th, 2014, 10:06 pm

BigfootDenny wrote:Reid -- many riders are anxious to hear about reclaiming the section of the Lost loop that was closed last fall ...

I'm glad to hear that people are still interested in this, it has been so long since the tornado went through and ideas were first discussed. Things are moving along, though, as Jay and I work on it with the DNR. I need to talk to Jay before releasing any further information, but there is some small amount of news on this topic.
reidabel

Postby Hermannator » April 29th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Thanks Bigfoot Denny- I would be interested in helping when you guys get this settled out with the DNR. I forgot about the closed section over the winter and was surprised Sunday when I realized I couldn't ride the "log pile" section of the Lost loop. BTW- Builder Bill is my brother.. I am Tom
Hermannator

Postby reidabel » April 29th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Well, I just found out today that the plan has been cancelled. Apparently the DNR has decided that it is too far away from ambulance access to allow features to be built there. I am going to post the designs I had come up with, so that people can see what we had in mind. It would have been really cool. I'm told there may still be the possibility of something else being built closer to civilization ...
reidabel

Postby SteveF » April 30th, 2014, 6:57 am

So is the closed area to be cleared out eventually or just left closed?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby reidabel » April 30th, 2014, 7:16 am

My understanding is that it will be cleared out, but I don't know when they are going to do it. I am certain they don't want any of us to try to do it, though, because those widowmakers are still there. I think it's a matter of waiting, and that third of a mile will eventually be back in use.
reidabel

Postby reidabel » April 30th, 2014, 7:50 am

Here are the plans, on my web site:

http://www.reidabel.com/BrightonPlans.html

Note that the embedded sample pictures are all from features currently rideable at Burchfield Park, in Holt, South of Lansing. More features are being built there all the time, so if you are eager to ride such things, that's the place to do it. They can be difficult to find if you don't know the trail, though. I should make a map showing where each one is. You could also let me know when you're coming to ride, and if I can join you, I will.

EDIT: Burchfield has just been announced as open for riding!
Last edited by reidabel on April 30th, 2014, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reidabel

Postby mmba7614 » April 30th, 2014, 8:23 am

Awesome proposal, and good work with it! I am bummed that it was canned.
mmba7614

Postby bockrona » April 30th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Sorry your proposal is not getting approved. Did they indicate their intentions with those trees and section? Seems that some of them would at least be useful for a less grandiose series of basic logovers or jumps. It would be a shame to just cut them all out. I suppose that's a decision for the trail coordinator and not the DNR.
bockrona

Postby reidabel » April 30th, 2014, 2:24 pm

bockrona wrote:Sorry your proposal is not getting approved. Did they indicate their intentions with those trees and section? Seems that some of them would at least be useful for a less grandiose series of basic logovers or jumps. It would be a shame to just cut them all out. I suppose that's a decision for the trail coordinator and not the DNR.

I'm going to take that "grandiose" as a compliment :D

I think you're onto something - with the logs that are there, it would be possible to create a lot of rollers, kind of like a pump track section. Just cut the logs into three or four-foot pieces, roll them into position the correct width apart (8 feet, 10 feet?), build dirt up on both sides and voila!

I believe that jumps are out of the question, but a fun roller-coaster section would probably be seen as acceptable. I mean, there's so much wood available on the ground there that you could make 50 of these mounds! We're moving from my area of expertise into yours - for those who don't know, bockrona has built these sorts of things already. It also reduces the work down to cutting out log pieces, rolling them into position, and moving dirt, which should be much quicker to construct than all that woodwork. A single well-attended trail day, where each person is assigned a single mound, could knock this out.

I didn't even think of this, and, you know, this demonstrates the power of today's world - social media, crowdsourcing, crowdfunding, crowdstorming, <insert buzzword here> - without the discussion on this forum, this new idea wouldn't have risen from the ashes of the old one. Maybe we can still have something fun out there after all! It might be time to move this over into the Potawatomi forum ...
reidabel

Postby ChainMale » April 30th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Rode Murray Lake trail today, and it was great, there is a down tree over the trail near the six mile mark, and I think it should be seen as an opportunity to create a natural log obsticle, not a reason to break out the chain saws.
ChainMale

Postby poirier » May 5th, 2014, 9:47 am

Trail is in great shape. Tree is still across the trail at mile 6, no reason to break out the chainsaw if you own a handsaw capable of taking out an 18" tree. :)
poirier

Postby countryboy_mike » May 8th, 2014, 6:07 am

Trail was in prime condition last evening. I have never seen Torn Shirt in such good shape. Tree down on Murray Lake about two miles after the campground by the low marshy area before the two climbs back up the ridge. This is a prime candidate for a log pile. It will need a chainsaw to get it off its stump and a couple smaller logs and it should be good to go.
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
BYGG MTB Racing
countryboy_mike

Postby yamangold » May 16th, 2014, 2:55 pm

New tree down, it comes up fast, a little before the one countryboy Mike mentions, which someone attempted to make a log pile out of.
yamangold

Postby jmf003 » May 16th, 2014, 3:53 pm

yamangold wrote:New tree down, it comes up fast, a little before the one countryboy Mike mentions, which someone attempted to make a log pile out of.

Other than that, the trail was in good shape tonight with only a few soft spots that were easy to avoid.
jmf003

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments