MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby mtbfree » March 19th, 2012, 9:53 am

J/C wrote:If anyone wants to try the trail for the first time, I urge you give it a go. Bring a map, you won't really need it, but it will make you feel more confident about the exploring you're about to do. You will most definitely get "lost" at least once by taking a wrong turn off one of the main loops. Loop 4 is the worst for that. But you will either cut the loop short or end up in someone's backyard, it would be hard to really get lost. Remember each loop is about 2 miles. It might seem like you're out in the middle of nowhere, but chances are, you're withing a few hundred feet of a road or backyard or the railroad tracks. Now is a great time to explore, because you can see a lot further into the woods since the leaves aren't out. The DNR has signposts with maps on all the loops. It would save ya some time to get a guided tour, so post here if you're interested. Besides me and the TC Bill, there are a few of us locals that could show ya around.

Happy Trails,
John
Assistant Trail Coordinator

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear the trail is in good shape... I'm thinking about heading out there after work today. I'll probably get there around 5:30 (hopefully)... I should be OK without a guide as I'm pretty good at reading maps 8) but if anyone is planning to be there anyway, I wouldn't turn down a guided ride.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby davedejonge » March 19th, 2012, 9:23 pm

J/C wrote:Rode all 4 loops this afternoon.

If anyone wants to try the trail for the first time, I urge you give it a go. Bring a map, you won't really need it, but it will make you feel more confident about the exploring you're about to do. You will most definitely get "lost" at least once by taking a wrong turn off one of the main loops. Loop 4 is the worst for that. But you will either cut the loop short or end up in someone's backyard, it would be hard to really get lost.

Get lost in a backyard... thats my house! I am on loop 3 at the top of the wall and before the 3 moguls.
If your looking for directions or need some help stop by.

Dave
davedejonge

Postby mtbfree » March 20th, 2012, 6:46 am

Well, I forgot my mmba version of the map, but managed to find my way around using the sign-posts that are out there. Rode loops 3 and 4 out of order :lol: and definitely made a couple small detours. This could be a really fun trail if it wasn't for the hoof-prints everywhere (not that it wasn't fun, just that it could be soo much better without the horses).
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby wompasaurus » March 20th, 2012, 7:24 pm

im going to have to give this trail a try. if anyones down to give me a tour, im completely new to riding just got a bike yesterday. ive never been on a trail so ill be slow but ill do my best to keep up. thanks

nick
wompasaurus

Postby Hermannator » March 20th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Nick- If I were you, and I was new to riding, I might try Island Lake or something like it first. Proud Lake is great, but it is very "old school", hilly, sandy and easy to get lost in. However, I often ride there and would be happy to give you a tour. Usually I do a triangle from the Milford trail to portions of Proud Lake and then down the Kensington Connector and back up the paved trail to Milford. The K-Connector would be a really good place to try out that new bike, but it can be hard to find.- Tom
Hermannator

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby davedejonge » April 1st, 2012, 8:25 pm

All loops are in great shape with a few muddy spots in the typical places. Nice riding, Face Slappers aren't grown yet, no skeeters yet. get out and ride!

Did notice a tent up on loop 4 just after you cross to the east of Childs lake rd... anyone else see that?
davedejonge

Postby ssabin » April 2nd, 2012, 8:27 pm

I saw that tent the other evening - I guess it was the 27th. Didn't stop to check it out at all, but thught it could be a homeless shelter since it has a nice "view" of the junkyard.
ssabin

Postby davedejonge » April 4th, 2012, 10:56 am

I thought given the history of that area that it might be base-camp for a grow op. - kinda cold yet thought.
who knows.
pretty lousy campsite though.
davedejonge

Postby Hermannator » April 6th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Big tree down on loop 3 on a down hill. Horses have created a reroute to the left (or right if you coming from loop 2). Trail is pretty, but chopped up.
Hermannator

Postby Builder-Bill » April 8th, 2012, 1:23 pm

The Trail is in Great Shape dry and fast, we trimed it back yesterday.
Bill and Sam The Trail Dog TC
Builder-Bill

Postby ihateplaindave » April 9th, 2012, 9:04 am

Thanx, Bill. We rode it on Sunday and: perfection (one tree down on Loop 2 somewhere). Everyone needs to ride it before the bugs come out.
ihateplaindave

Postby J/C » April 24th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Rode loops 1, 2 and 4 until the Kensington connector. Everything is dry and clear.
J/C

Postby Spinwheel » April 27th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Loop 3 has 3 trees down, the last one at the top of the first steep climb.. none were super-big. L4 to the K-connector was clear and dry.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby bleve » April 28th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Rode this trail for the first time last night, lots of nice riding with some surprisingly good scenery. Only problem I noticed was on either loop 3 or 4 (I wasn't too sure since I forgot to bring my map I had printed off), a little marshy area just before you crossed back over the train tracks there was a tree down that pretty much required a dismount (I tried going over, caught my chain ring). Too bad I don't get to this area more often, wouldn't mind exploring some more. Never saw signs posted for a connector trail (probably a good thing since I didn't have that much time to explore.
bleve

Postby J/C » April 30th, 2012, 9:01 pm

To find the connector, you have to be on Loop 4, which is across Childs Lake Rd from Loop 3. Once on Loop 4, ride CCW until you see the sign that says "Kensington" and points to the right. Sounds like you were on Loop 3.

The trail sign for Loop 1 was knocked down by a truck the other day, I stood it back up, was going to dig a new hold and rebury it then the next day it got knocked down and really ran over and broken. An arrow and the "Garden Rd" sign are busted in half. It's in my front yard now, I'll try to patch it back together.

I'll try to get to the trees on Loop 3 tomorrow after work, time to test out my "chainsaw backpack" idea.

John
J/C

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions