MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby Nimble9 » April 20th, 2014, 7:46 pm

all 4 loops were good last saturday. yes there are coyotes out here i've sniped 4 by our coop. bells might sound like a good idea, but imagine if everyone had one? i bet you'd think differently so just ride w/in your limits and we'll all be good. it's not a race unless there's tape and # plates :mrgreen:
Nimble9

Postby tmbrown » April 21st, 2014, 7:13 am

Kazie wrote:I rode A+B+C+D today. The trail is phenomenal. And I saw two piles of horse *beep* on the B. Do they live there? I don't think so. Some equestrian seemed to enter the MTB trail earlier today. I didn't see them yesterday afternoon.

This happens a couple times throughout the year, and seems like every spring, when they can see our trail. The horse trail is real close to our trail in several places. They know better… their trail is clearly marked. :x

Did they damage the trail, and where did they enter…

I also rode the whole trail yesterday, started around noon, and didn’t notice any land mines; it had to be later in the day.
tmbrown

Postby flamingo » April 21st, 2014, 11:25 am

I rode A+B+C+D today. The trail is phenomenal.

Looks like we have a new Highland aficionado. Welcome to the club.
flamingo

Postby Kazie » April 21st, 2014, 11:55 am

flamingo wrote:Looks like we have a new Highland aficionado. Welcome to the club.

Thank you for your recognition! I am honored, although I've been riding Highland last two years. I suddenly started posting things, because of the snow we had. It made me so anxious that I had to say something. And it keeps going, as you see. I love Highland, because it gives me lessons every time I ride. It cheers for my improvements and then presents new challenges.

And taking this opportunity, I'd like to express my highest appreciation and respect to those who built and maintain the trail. Without you, we would not have Highland as it is now. Thank you very much.
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby stinkychamois » April 21st, 2014, 3:18 pm

Highland = best local trail.
stinkychamois

Postby bax » April 21st, 2014, 3:58 pm

Potto = Better :twisted:
bax

Postby tmbrown » April 22nd, 2014, 8:29 am

Apparently the Equestrians on B-loop were totally lost. These ladies were riding at Highland for the first time; they started their adventure around 10:00 am, at the old barn east of Duck Lake rd. A fellow biker was startled from said riders when they screamed, for his attention from their trail. This was about 4:00 pm; he led them out to the B, C intersection, with detailed directions back to the tunnel. Apparently older model Horses without GPS. :?

The equestrian trail is well marked, with maps at every intersection; that being said, it’s easy to get turned around out there. It seems like every fall there’s a lost out of shape hunter, in need of directions.

Welcome to the club Kazie!
Being able to do all four-loops, this early in the year is impressive.
tmbrown

Postby Kazie » April 22nd, 2014, 9:44 am

tmbrown wrote:Apparently the Equestrians on B-loop were totally lost. These ladies were riding at Highland for the first time; [...] A fellow biker [...] led them out to the B, C intersection, with detailed directions back to the tunnel. Apparently older model Horses without GPS. :?

Do they still keep those old models without GPS?!

Getting lost is a possibility in any trail. I myself have an experience in my early days at Highland having wandered into the D loop for the first time and in reverse direction, although it was after dark without any light but my cellphone. I will always be nice and guide them as the fellow biker did.
tmbrown wrote:Welcome to the club Kazie!
Being able to do all four-loops, this early in the year is impressive.

Thank you for your words! I suppose regularly cross-country skiing helped me a lot this past winter. I did it for the first time since when I was a first grader. But it already helped me to shorten my personal best for all four loops by ten minutes without a lot of extra effort. I'd recommend doing it, if we'd see a lot of snow next winter.
Kazie

Postby Dakota Kid » April 22nd, 2014, 9:00 pm

Was out this afternoon and rode A and B. Other than a deadfall (about 10" dia) a few hundred yards into A, the trails were excellent. Even with all the leaves, there was decent traction for some spirited riding.

Props to the trail volunteers for clearing all the downed trees. Looked like there had been plenty of recent work done.

Kid
Dakota Kid

Postby tmbrown » April 23rd, 2014, 8:31 pm

Above tree cleared.

Thank you for your words! I suppose regularly cross-country skiing helped me a lot this past winter. I did it for the first time since when I was a first grader. But it already helped me to shorten my personal best for all four loops by ten minutes without a lot of extra effort. I'd recommend doing it, if we'd see a lot of snow next winter.

Yes it was a good year for XC skiing, although I lost interest after I received my Fat Bike in February.
tmbrown

Postby Spak » April 27th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Rode AB today. Trail is in fantastic shape. There was a gigantic pile of horse crap on B as someone mentioned above. I feel like this trail is still a bit too technical for me, but I am getting better with it. I handled it better than I did last year, but the rocky boulder climbs are what get me walking. I just got to work at it I guess. :)
Spak

Postby Kazie » April 27th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Spak wrote:the rocky boulder climbs are what get me walking. I just got to work at it I guess. :)

I think you are talking about the climb a little before the B and B shortcut merge. It's one of the hardest in Highland and I have seen fellow bikers talked about it from time to time here. I think there are two lines to take. It's my third year at Highland and I recently started being able to clear the left line. But I always fail the right one. Highland has endless challenges for us.

I rode A+B+C yesterday and a full loop this evening. All loops are clear and getting faster with less leaves covering the trail.
Kazie

Postby davedejonge » April 28th, 2014, 8:42 am

I know what hill you are talking about, "the gauntlet" as Washed-Out calls it. A good challenge to be sure.
davedejonge

Postby b_b » May 4th, 2014, 6:47 pm

Leaner after 14.5 D need to duck under.

Thank you Highland for reminding my legs what it's like to suffer after the long winter!
b_b

Postby dikowals » May 10th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Leaner on the D is at N42 37.934 W83 35.167
Tree down on the B at N42 37.574 W83 34.904
Both need a chainsaw.
dikowals

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments