Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Mike_D » March 21st, 2014, 3:47 pm

Rick Plite rode his fatbike out there earlier in the week. He named his Strava ride "Bone Shaker CSGA" if that tells you anything :roll:

Honestly, even once the snow melts, there is going to be probably a foot of hard packed snow and ice left on the trail from snowshoers, skiers, and hikers that will take quite a while to melt. Then we have the frost in the ground that will need to thaw. Then following the ground thawing comes the mud so then the trails like the game area and Luton and Merrell are going to need some time to dry out and harden up. I expect there will be much trail carnage this spring from riders that cannot wait to hit there favorite trail. Trails like the ski area and Yankee dry out much quicker due to the majority of their sandy soil base and will be ready to ride I'm guessing a month earlier than the rest of our local trails. Save the trails and your drivetrain and avoid the muddy trails this spring y'all.
Mike_D

Postby Ranger Pride » April 16th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Does anyone have an update on conditions out at CSGA?
Ranger Pride

Postby cramer » April 16th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Ranger Pride wrote:Does anyone have an update on conditions out at CSGA?

Been riding the back roads around that area lately and was wondering the same thing today. I'll check it out tomorrow afternoon and report back.
cramer

Postby cramer » April 17th, 2014, 11:35 am

Think I'll hit Luton instead now that it's open. Heard CSGA is good to go though. Report back any downed trees you run into if you ride it.
cramer

Postby Ranger Pride » April 17th, 2014, 8:05 pm

I plan to hit it Saturday morning. Looking forward to it.
Ranger Pride

Postby harveygerard » April 18th, 2014, 7:17 am

Had a great ride at CSGA last night. Trial is in pretty good shape overall. Everything's dry, but there are 3 or 4 downed trees in the second section. No surprises, but still good to be aware. If a rider isn't too familiar with the route, they could get a bit lost as the trail is covered in the fall's leaves in some parts. All in all, great to be back at CSGA.
harveygerard

Postby yukonjack » April 18th, 2014, 7:54 am

Section 1 has 2 down trees. One has a reroute going around on left and will need a chainsaw to clear (1st big reroute section almost were it reconnects with original trail). 2nd one is smaller and maybe a handsaw could get it(2nd reroute). Section 2 has several downed trees. The biggest would be on the short clay hill after the house near the beginning. This one will also require a chain saw. From what I remember...all down trees are in slower areas so not much risk of not seeing them coming. Section 3 & 4 are clear of fallen trees. Lots of leaves on the trail hiding small sticks. Trail is very dry.
yukonjack

Postby cramer » April 18th, 2014, 4:50 pm

I think all of the trees down in the 2nd section could be removed with a smaller chainsaw. If you start at Dursum the last one is just before the rutted out clay downhill, after the pine trees. After that it's clear.
cramer

Postby cramer » April 24th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Same downed trees are still there. Realized they're probably waiting until the trail day this Saturday, April 26th to remove them.
cramer

Postby eelssu2001 » June 22nd, 2014, 8:40 pm

2 trees are down across the trail about 2-mins into section 2.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
eelssu2001

Postby the Putti » August 25th, 2014, 7:30 am

Rode yesterday and noticed that the drop in section 3 has been tamed. There are 2 white x's on trees around it. I was wondering if this was an approved trail modification?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Specialized Allez Sport Compact Double
2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
the Putti

Postby cramer » August 25th, 2014, 12:28 pm

the Putti wrote:Rode yesterday and noticed that the drop in section 3 has been tamed. There are 2 white x's on trees around it. I was wondering if this was an approved trail modification?

For sure not an approved trail modification and this type of stuff really gets under the skin of DNR. When erosion causes something to get a little challenging around here and it's not re-routed right away, the trail users will "dumb down" the trail. Usually when they do this, it's not a well thought out long term solution either. If those white Xs are painted on those trees, that's a bummer.
cramer

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments