MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby davedejonge » December 31st, 2013, 12:19 pm

I skied parts for loops 1 2 and 3 last night, Nothing down or in the way, and the snow is cruchy, not icy except for a section of 1 where the boyscout trail overlaps the bike/horse trail.
It looks like someone took a side by side UTV thru a good portion of 3.

Get your fat bike loving on! today (31st), we got a 1/2" dusting this morning, there is little ice, mostly crunchy snow. trails are in good skiing or fat bike condition.
davedejonge

Postby J/C » January 7th, 2014, 11:04 am

Ski conditions at Proud Lake: little bit too much snow to make good progress, snowshoeing would be better. I've been out every day this year so far (last night was brief). Some parts of some loops have been snowmobile-packed.
J/C

Postby davedejonge » January 22nd, 2014, 9:50 am

I skied parts of loops 1 2 and 3 last night. Loop 2 is all snowmobile packed and very firm. Loop 1 is packed with foot traffic . Loop 3 is snowmobile packed along the RR tracks, and then nothing minus 1 walker and my skis on the section up the wall and 3 moguls.

I'd guess that loops 1 and 2 would be really good for fatbiking, all hard packed snow, no ice showing, you could probably ride a regular tire on those trails. just stay on the track, or you will sink deep. It looked like loop 4 had snowmobile packed trail on the section east of Childs lake rd, not sure about on the west side.
davedejonge

Postby davedejonge » February 7th, 2014, 4:12 pm

Had first time in a long time last night. I got totally spun around on loop 4 in Proud Lake, Found out there were some trails missing from my map, fortunately I was able to GPS'em and I updated the map. GPS is in my phone, so Its probably a little out but, the general idea is there.

Here is good PDF that you can print which has higher res than the picture below

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-YeT-KS4SOanJqaWlURFdldms/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if you notice anything missing.
davedejonge

Postby Hermannator » February 7th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Thanks Dave- I've really been turned around on Loop 4 before. Some years ago I rode mid summer and took so many wrong turns that I actually never finished the loop. I ended up turning around in frustration and heading back for the connector.
Hermannator

Postby davedejonge » March 5th, 2014, 10:50 pm

I've put most of the Loops and shortcuts in proud lake up on Google Map Maker now... If any of you guys using Google mapmaker you can approve my edits and hopefull soon we will see the loops on google maps ( much of loop 4 should be showing already - see link below for loop 4 )https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5637727,-83.58338,2261m/data=!3m1!1e3
Once approved loops 1 - 3 and many of the shortcuts should also be showing too.

This will hopefully allow someone to pull out their smartphone on the trail and see their exact location on the map and see the trail at the same time.

If your not familiar, google allows you and me to make changes to the maps we see when your are looking at maps.google.com
you can add trails and roads and etc.
check it out at the following link.
http://www.google.com/mapmaker
davedejonge

Postby davedejonge » March 7th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Hey, if anyone has GPS data ( prefered in KML form) for the connector between proud lake and the Hick I'd like to get a copy of it so I can draw it up on google maps. Loop 4 of proud lake is displaying (easiest to see on the Satellite view) hopefully the shortcuts and other loops should be there soon too.

email me a davedejonge at hotmail dot com
davedejonge

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 10th, 2014, 5:28 pm

How's proud lake looking?
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby davedejonge » April 10th, 2014, 9:47 pm

I rode loops 3 and 4 on Tuesday and walked thru snow on most east or north facing hills, but there was little to no mud. I Bet it would be good this weekend. Most of the trail is gravely or sandy or so lightly traveled that it drains quickly. I would thing that east of Childs lake road on loop 4 would be a mess though.
davedejonge

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » April 12th, 2014, 9:40 pm

davedejonge wrote:I rode loops 3 and 4 on Tuesday and walked thru snow on most east or north facing hills, but there was little to no mud. I Bet it would be good this weekend. Most of the trail is gravely or sandy or so lightly traveled that it drains quickly. I would thing that east of Childs lake road on loop 4 would be a mess though.

I rode that section of Loop 4 between Childs Lake Rd and the RR track today. With the exception of the 1 usual 90 degree corner that is always wet (even in July), this section was dry! Even the wet section was not bad; no standing water.
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

Postby Spinwheel » April 20th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Tree down - Loop 4 - just east of Old Plank & the Kensignton Connector. 6" diameter max., 3 cuts should do it.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » April 25th, 2014, 7:23 am

The south section of loop 4, notoriously slow to dry, is ridable and nearly bone-dry. Last night's ride featured a near-collision with a wild turkey on the loop 2 bypass - scared the crap out of me....also cleared ALL climbs on L3 for the first time riding out there for more than a decade, fun stuff!!
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » April 25th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Did anyone else notice the new paint on the existing signs? I didn't think there anything wrong with them, but the new paint is mostly lousy and detracts from the appearance of the park.

Granted, the first picture isn't too bad - this one is located at the horse staging parking lot between loops 1 & 2.

The rest, which are all from loop 3 are not so much - and the other loops have more of the same.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage[/url]
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Hermannator » May 10th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Proud Lake loop 4 has one bad spot north of Child's Lake Road. Had to walk. Other than that it is OK, but needs riders. I think I was the only bike track I saw on loop 4, and not much on loop 2 either. Can't report on loops 3 or 1.
Hermannator

Postby davedejonge » May 12th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Spinwheel wrote:Did anyone else notice the new paint on the existing signs? I didn't think there anything wrong with them, but the new paint is mostly lousy and detracts from the appearance of the park.

Granted, the first picture isn't too bad - this one is located at the horse staging parking lot between loops 1 & 2.

I think most of that paint went up last fall some time, I agree it looks cheap and sloppy.

On the subject of signs, what would need to be done to move the 2 state park posts on loop 4 that are incorrectly placed? Can I just go out with a shovel some day and move them to the right spot?
davedejonge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments