CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » February 7th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Route signs are ready! Come on out and join us at Noon on Sunday (February 9th, 2014) for a group ride on the snowy trails (and/or paved path, if you prefer).
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » February 13th, 2014, 9:51 pm

There is an amazingly hard packed line at River Bends right now. It's likely ridable with a normal MTB. All climbs were nearly as easy as in summer time; you just need the control to stay on a narrow path. I strongly suggest getting out there before the thaw.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby KLydesdale » February 14th, 2014, 4:41 pm

c0nsumer wrote:There is an amazingly hard packed line at River Bends right now. It's likely ridable with a normal MTB. All climbs were nearly as easy as in summer time; you just need the control to stay on a narrow path. I strongly suggest getting out there before the thaw.

Steve, do they mind people riding into RB after dark? If so, where would be the best place to park and access the packed part of the trail right now?
KLydesdale

Postby Sortaslow » February 16th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Fat bike conditions don't get better than this. Hit the trail! Splendid conditions out there.
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » February 22nd, 2014, 10:52 pm

Anyone get to River Bends today (Saturday)? I'm curious how it's looking for Sunday.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby masenyk » February 23rd, 2014, 2:30 pm

I was just out at the trail and I rode the hole loop on my niner. If the people with fat bikes went out and ride this afternoon you would pack the trail nice before the cold weather comes back
masenyk

Postby c0nsumer » February 23rd, 2014, 4:41 pm

masenyk wrote:I was just out at the trail and I rode the hole loop on my niner. If the people with fat bikes went out and ride this afternoon you would pack the trail nice before the cold weather comes back

I just rode one loop and saw your tracks. The trail was in pretty good shape, but someone had seen fit to run/walk the whole thing during a recent warm day leading to 4" - 6" deep foot prints throughout the entire thing. It made for quite a jarring ride. The surface is also still firm enough that a fatbike did nothing to pack it, just as your tires didn't really leave a depression. I think we're going to be stuck with those footprints for a while. :(
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Sortaslow » March 2nd, 2014, 4:29 pm

Trail is back in good shape. Deep and loose sections but it's all rideable. I think some could ride almost every hill. I only missed a few and it was still fresh and loose. A few more fat bikes across it and it will pack down well- save for the walkers rutting it up again.
Sortaslow

Postby jer091 » March 7th, 2014, 2:31 pm

If you have the opportunity to get out ride River Bends today, do so conditions are awesome!
jer091

Postby Esox » March 7th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Rode this evening and the snow is going fast and starting to get slushy. Towards the end of my ride around 6pm it was much worse than when I srarted around 4. I fear this weekends warm weather is going to trash the trail with all the foot traffic.
Esox

Postby i69whitey » March 16th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Tuff riding!
There must have been lots of the hikers out yesterday in the warmth.
Definitely not a good day for a rigid fork. Snow is a little too deep for riding a regular bike and the footprints are frozen solid & big enough to swallow a front wheel:shock:

-whitey
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby Esox » March 16th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I saw your tracks and some you were able to stay on top. With the fatty I had enough float for most of the trail. Parts were awsome and others horrible with the foot traffic. I even rode the swamp loop and it was hard but had enough float for most it. It was slow going though!
Esox

Postby FLIPMODES » April 4th, 2014, 6:47 pm

Anybody been out to RB lately? Assuming its not in any condition to attempt just yet.
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby jer091 » April 4th, 2014, 6:48 pm

The paved path is firm and ridable. Single track will be a few more weeks. There is still snow in spots

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
jer091

Postby jer091 » April 10th, 2014, 10:59 am

Went out and hiked the trail this morning. All the snow is gone and it is drying out but its not ready yet!

Please give the trail more time!

Here are some reasons why:

jer091

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments