CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby champ128 » September 29th, 2013, 7:21 am

2slo2endo wrote:Question, I rode the seasonal loop (generally don't) yesterday following the new 2 way route and came to a large intersection, it seemed like every direction had a wrong way indicator the arrow pointed to one direction but when I got into the trail, wrong way marker... Has my misspent youth led to another hallucination?

I believe you are speaking of where the new reroute is. Just before the wrong way placard the trail splits to the right. There is two rollers that can make it appear as though this is a closed section, but in fact it is not. The intersection is a figure eight.
champ128

Postby jalopy jockey » October 9th, 2013, 8:16 pm

jer091 wrote:Shelby trail project presses on despite lost federal funding:

http://www.candgnews.com/news/shelby-trail-project-presses-despite-lost-federal-funding

Just not with what most of us were hoping for.

Instead of constructing trails from Utica to Stony Creek through River Bends, Holland Ponds, Chief Gene Shepherd Park and the Macomb Orchard Trail as originally planned, Shelby officials now plan to forge trails from River Bends to the Macomb Orchard Trail, and from the Macomb Orchard Trail to Chief Gene Shepherd Park, as well as connect the Yates Trail to Chief Gene Shepherd Park.

So as of right now, now, no paved trail from Utica to the south end of River Bends :x

We will be looking at making improvements to the south end of the blue loop late fall/early spring.

I for one find this to be phenomenal news. Connecting river bend to the MOT is much more important to me than riverbends to crp. Aside from the one dismount it is an easy and safe ride already.

I'd love see both but if I had to choose one this is it.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby Roy » October 13th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Yes, all the trail was just about perfect.
Even the unsupported seasonal section was very rideable. The bridge that had been at the tube is in plane sight about 30 ft down stream. It looked to heavy for me to move, so I let it alone.

Roy
Roy

Postby FLIPMODES » October 15th, 2013, 8:03 pm

utabintarbo wrote:Many leaves and deers to be found out there tonight. Some funny smells as well. :P

Sorry about the smell Bob. $5 pizza for dinner. :lol:
River Bends Park - Co-Trail Coordinator
River Bends trail conditions
CRAMBA-IMBA/NMBP member

2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby Jim O » November 11th, 2013, 7:36 am

Wish I could help out this W/E. But as this is a three-Day weekend, I will be out of town traveling South to honor my Father as Veteran's Day was most important to him. All, please remember the veterans that served today at the 11th hour, on the 11th day, on the 11th month!
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby utabintarbo » November 12th, 2013, 8:47 pm

There is a large (chainsaw-worthy) tree across the Drag Strip Bypass, about 1/3 of the way in.

Otherwise, a few squishy spots are all there is to worry about. :D
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » December 17th, 2013, 11:17 pm

There's a nicely set groove on everything but the swamp loop now. And the bridge down in the old floodplane / seasonal area? It reappeared!
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mr_opjones » January 10th, 2014, 7:45 am

DNR_Maybury wrote:I'd be very interested in a picture of your grooming sled. been looking into this for Maybury.

Throw my kid in a sled and pull him around :D
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby c0nsumer » February 5th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Erik / bergsteiger, Kristi / misscrashalot, my wife, and myself snowshoed the yellow loop tonight, packing a decent shoulder width path. This should be good for fatbikes at low tire pressures.

Prior to our getting out there the trail was ~4" of fresh powder over 4" of packed base. Now it's about 5" packed (but still a bit soft).
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » February 7th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Route signs are ready! Come on out and join us at Noon on Sunday (February 9th, 2014) for a group ride on the snowy trails (and/or paved path, if you prefer).
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » February 13th, 2014, 9:51 pm

There is an amazingly hard packed line at River Bends right now. It's likely ridable with a normal MTB. All climbs were nearly as easy as in summer time; you just need the control to stay on a narrow path. I strongly suggest getting out there before the thaw.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Esox » March 16th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I saw your tracks and some you were able to stay on top. With the fatty I had enough float for most of the trail. Parts were awsome and others horrible with the foot traffic. I even rode the swamp loop and it was hard but had enough float for most it. It was slow going though!
Esox

Postby jer091 » April 16th, 2014, 12:05 pm

**River Bends Update 16 April 2014**

Bad news, good news, and bad news.....

1. The trail surface is in poor condition as of today. The snow melting has created a 1/4-1/2" muck layer on top. Foot traffic is creating indentations, so bike traffic will also not be good. Lets give it another day or 2 to dry out again.

2. In the next few weeks there will be a railroad crossing built on the south end of the park. :icon_thumleft:

3. also in the next few weeks ITC and associates (power line company) will be building/clearing a 10 foot path to replace once of the power line towers. Below is a rough guess based off of the map I saw today from the surveyor I ran into today surveying the area for the route. They state they will try to stay off the "trails" but there is not that much room to do that. He also did not have many answers to if it will be improved or just cleared, or if they are returning it to a natural state or not, and if any of it on the west of the tracks will be used for the Utica/RB path. The east side and railroad crossing will be permanent and incorporated into the Utica/RB paved path.

jer091

Postby PK » April 16th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Talk the construction crew into rebuilding the disturbed area into a pump track / flow trail!

Pete.
PK

Postby tripleskulls » April 16th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Is the railroad crossing the much-rumored paved connection to Memorial Park / Heritage Park / Clinton River Trails? Will the construction of the crossgin (& paved trail?) close a section of RB mountain bike trails?
tripleskulls

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions