Poto: Hewens Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby utabintarbo » November 29th, 2013, 3:43 pm

The trails were in pretty prime condition for today's Black Friday Ride! Great job! :icon_thumleft:
utabintarbo

Postby michael48197 » November 30th, 2013, 9:31 am

Check out the RHP forum for photos of the 5th Annual Black Friday Ride yesterday. Mark your calendar for the 6th annual event - November 28, 2014.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » December 19th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Rode through Hewens this morning. Several hikers have been through the start of yellow and all of red, and that made things challenging. Especially the corners (of which there are seemingly zillions on this trail) where you had to be very careful with balance, front/rear weight distribution, and timed pedal strokes to avoid washing out in the snow.

The 2nd half of yellow had very little foot traffic, and in the far back there were no tracks except for animals. The meadow sections of yellow were very deep snow. Made for a great workout.

Entirely rideable, and a good trail for a fatbike in the snow.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » December 31st, 2013, 12:24 pm

Great ride thru HC this morning. Some ice under the new snow but it's textured enough from the trail traffic to not really be an issue once you dial in the proper tire pressure. Was even able to carry a bit of speed through many sections.

All is clear and definitely rideable.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » December 31st, 2013, 12:35 pm

By the way, every time I ride by the mounds of dirt back in the meadow section I dream of pump tracks or dirt jumps. Does anyone know if the Twp has plans for these piles?
Last edited by ChrisInYpsi on December 31st, 2013, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby john_galt » March 3rd, 2014, 2:56 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:By the way, every time I ride by the mounds of dirt back in the meadow section I dream of pump tracks or dirt jumps. Does anyone know if the Twp has plans for these piles?

I asked Bob Hollen about those a few years ago and there were no plans. He told me there was talk about a "skills park" when the MMBA first got involved with this trail but never went anywhere. Same thing over at RHP. Both places are open to the idea but what is lacking is someone to commit themselves to lead/coordinate/etc.
john_galt

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 13th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Hewens is 98.73% rideable. The usual wet spot at the yellow boardwalk section is quite muddy and should be walked. There are a few other damp areas in the grassy meadow sections, but they are rideable and I wasn't leaving tracks (due to the &$@?!" grass that won't die). Also, the return section of yellow after the 2 log-overs has a short creek crossing that is usually dry, but it was under water today. There are 2 boards there to ride over but they were floating today.

If the mower gets repaired I'd recommend making a few widening passes on the first yellow section. There are many ankle grabbers leaning in from the sides of the trail and dead vines that like to wind around your cassette.

Get out and ride Hewens. It needs the traffic, and it makes a nice combo with Rolling Hills.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby BikeHewensCreek » April 21st, 2014, 7:31 pm

Put in two new log piles from a neighbors tree this weekend. Now we have log piles to ride over in the last yellow section where there are two ditches that usually filled with water in the spring or rainy periods.

ChrisInYpsi is right about conditions. I've walked all of it for some quick spring maintenance and it looks pretty good. HikerJohn reported that there's a new blow down in the second wooded section as well as the overhanging tree in the start of the red loop. You can ride under the red loop tree but I don't know the shape of the other downed tree. Barring weather problems we'll clear those tree this weekend.

I've ridden the eastern loop this weekend but nothing else. If it's not muddy where you would cut it up in deep mud I would say Go for it and ride it while we can.

BikeHewensCreek@gmail.com
http://www.twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek
BikeHewensCreek

Postby BikeHewensCreek » April 26th, 2014, 7:25 pm

HikerJohn and I walked through and cleared the recent blow downs. The trail is in really good shape this weekend, so give it a ride if you can.

BikeHewensCreek

Postby BikeHewensCreek » April 27th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Locked down a new log pile in the start if the east red loop.

BikeHewensCreek

Postby mpaquette70 » May 20th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Rode HC the past two days. Trails seem to be in good shape. Heard a guy running a weed whacker somewhere between Y9 and Y10, not sure what was going on there. I also learned that I've been riding the East Loop backwards. Doh! Looking at the map more closely helped me learn and correct my mistake.

I first rode HC in 2013 and being a newbie on these trails I must say more signage would surely help first-timers. I found it very difficult to determine if I was riding in the correct direction or if there was even a correct direction for bikes.

Get out and ride!
mpaquette70

Postby michael48197 » May 25th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Took my daughter - 18 yo. and MTB newbie - out to RHP on Sat. for her first single track ride. I guess the years of experience made me underestimate the degree of difficulty at RHP with all the turning, shifting and bike handling. She wasn't having any fun after the first mile, so we bailed and headed to HCP. I'll say I was pleasantly surprised that HCP was in very good condition. Except for some mud along the boardwalks - totally normal - and a little wet grass in the first meadow, the trail was in great shape. There weren't any thorns to rip up your arms or face slappers to blind you. Great job, BikeHewensCreek!!

I don't ride a HCP often except the annual Black Friday Ride in the late autumn. I was blown away the east/Hitchingham "meadow" is now mostly a full fledged young forest!!! I guess I didn't appreciate that last November with all the leaves gone. I was even shocked to see the central meadow is now growing some decent sized trees where it was always just grass and light brush. In a few years, the central meadow will also be grown into a young forest. That will help the trail condition a lot since most of the open terrain is completely grass covered while the forested bits have a nice trail tread.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby dnale » May 25th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Good to hear that hc is in good shape. Still haven't ridden this year. Hewens can get pretty overgrown. One time I was ripped off my bike by some thorns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
dnale

Postby mpaquette70 » May 31st, 2014, 12:28 pm

There is a very large branch that fell between Y5 & Y6. It's from a dead tree on the right and is passable but should be removed. Other than that the trails are in great shape.
mpaquette70

Postby mpaquette70 » June 5th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Be warned, someone brush hogged quite a bit of the East loop which looks great but now there is all kinds of debris on the trail. Got a nice big thorn and a flat tonight on my 1 week old bike.
mpaquette70

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments