CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby utabintarbo » December 12th, 2013, 10:05 am

ihateplaindave wrote:Two of us rode from 6:15 to 7:15. Coldest ride of the year so far. Nice dusting of snow to make things interesting. Didn't see any deer, but saw a group of 3 (?) riders coming out of pines around 7:00.

Yeah, that was us. It was Wednesday, after all! :D
utabintarbo

Postby PK » December 14th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Still rideable this afternoon, just barely though. Around 3:30PM.
I was able to ride back and do the Pines, but it was uphill the whole way. Hidden ruts on the 2-track got me a few times.

Very XC skiable.
At this point, I'd give it up to the skiers and wait for a meltdown before we ride bikes out there again.

Pete.
PK

Postby kbputnam » February 3rd, 2014, 10:25 am

How's the trails looking today for fatbiking?
kbputnam

Postby c0nsumer » February 3rd, 2014, 11:10 am

kbputnam wrote:How's the trails looking today for fatbiking?

I'd expect them to be okay, but please be sure you don't screw up the set tracks for XC skiing. That'd just be bad for everyone involved. If you're in this area and wanting good fatbiking, hit up River Bends instead, which is only ~4 miles south. There's a solid groove on a not-easy (when snowy) ~5 mile loop and we'd welcome the help packing it down for Sunday's Ay CRAMBA It's Cold Out event.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby kbputnam » February 3rd, 2014, 11:47 am

Thanks for the advice. I'd be happy to help pack it down but I'm not familiar with River Bends. How does it compare to Addison Oaks or Stony's Pines or Roller Coast? Tight switchbacks? Steep climbs?
kbputnam

Postby c0nsumer » February 3rd, 2014, 12:51 pm

kbputnam wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'd be happy to help pack it down but I'm not familiar with River Bends. How does it compare to Addison Oaks or Stony's Pines or Roller Coast? Tight switchbacks? Steep climbs?

It's pretty much like 3x - 4x of The Pines. There's a little more short/steep stuff but nothing long, and in general it flows well. Here is the map: http://mmba.org/library/maps/riverbends/latest.pdf

All of yellow has a solid groove, and there's 3-4 hills there which are seriously hard to ride in snow (pretty easy in summer). Just follow the solid /packed groove and you'll find your way around the whole thing. Once you reach the end (single track ends in a T with some two track, with more two track to your left and the paved path to your right) just head out to the pavement and ride back to the trailhead.

EDIT: This time of year, on a fatbike, you're going to be looking at ~50 minutes moving time for a lap.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby kbputnam » February 3rd, 2014, 1:45 pm

Thanks Steve. I really appreciate the info.
kbputnam

Postby c0nsumer » February 15th, 2014, 2:40 pm

Today when passing by Stony on Sheldon Rd. I stopped in to ride through The Pines. It's fairly wide and well packed, and I had no problem riding all of it, but all the packing in there has been done by footprints, and some of the usual lines have been rerouted to straighten out the trail. Between this and the XC skiing on the two track, I'd continue skipping Stony in favor of another trail (Bald Mountain, PLRA, River Bends, etc). It was very meh.

(In my brief time on the two track a group of three skiers stopped me to ask about fatbikes and such, seeming very interested in them. And yes, I rode straight between the pair of set tracks, on the footprints.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby spartanOCR » February 24th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Got in a run on green, blue and most of black this afternoon. I did avoid the Pines, and only because the snow wasn't as packed down as the other parts of the trail system, and I don't like sinking/spraining my ankles. I only saw one person as I was getting ready to leave - a cross-country skier, who quickly gave up after falling three times within 100 feet of the parking lot. The trail is good to go for capable riders who know how to manage their rigs on ice. Oh, and I did make sure to clear a great deal of branches from the trail while I was at it.
spartanOCR

Postby utabintarbo » February 25th, 2014, 9:34 am

spartanOCR wrote:Got in a run on green, blue and most of black this afternoon. I did avoid the Pines, and only because the snow wasn't as packed down as the other parts of the trail system, and I don't like sinking/spraining my ankles. I only saw one person as I was getting ready to leave - a cross-country skier, who quickly gave up after falling three times within 100 feet of the parking lot. The trail is good to go for capable riders who know how to manage their rigs on ice. Oh, and I did make sure to clear a great deal of branches from the trail while I was at it.

Thanks for the report and the trail clearing! :D
utabintarbo

Postby ihateplaindave » February 25th, 2014, 10:57 am

"green, blue and most of black"

What does that mean?
ihateplaindave

Postby spartanOCR » February 25th, 2014, 11:29 am

If you have never been out there, that may be a bit confusing. The various difficulties of the three primary loops out there are rated: Green = easy, blue = intermediate, black = advanced/more difficult.
spartanOCR

Postby utabintarbo » February 25th, 2014, 11:44 am

spartanOCR wrote:If you have never been out there, that may be a bit confusing. The various difficulties of the three primary loops out there are rated: Green = easy, blue = intermediate, black = advanced/more difficult.

Green & blue are 2-track, the black is the singletrack.
utabintarbo

Postby ihateplaindave » February 25th, 2014, 3:02 pm

So, are you saying the main single track loop is rideable? If so, can I get there from the back gate w/o violating the skier/MTBer truce?
ihateplaindave

Postby mikewoods » February 26th, 2014, 8:13 am

ihateplaindave wrote:So, are you saying the main single track loop is rideable? If so, can I get there from the back gate w/o violating the skier/MTBer truce?

The two track is icy, but probably rideable if you're careful. Just don't ride in the set ski tracks and you'll be fine.
mikewoods

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments