Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » December 3rd, 2013, 10:08 am

A promoter has gotten final approvals from the DNR and the XTERRA folks to hold a XTERRA triathlon at the Ionia State Recreation Area.
This will be a little guy...so entry level triathlon.
.5 mile swim
11 mile bike
3.1 mile run.

The swim will make use of Sessions Lake, beach, and beach house.
The bike will make use of the ISRA mountain bike trails, and the Grand River Valley Rail Trail (GRVRT).
The run will make use of other hiking trails inside the ISRA.

The date is: 27 July 2014

Details to follow in the future.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby Mike_D » December 12th, 2013, 4:52 pm

How's the snow depth Ionia way?
User avatar
Mike_D
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 11:22 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » December 15th, 2013, 9:35 am

Mike_D wrote:How's the snow depth Ionia way?


Rode the rail trail next to the mtb trails Friday night and was pushing 6 inches of powder with the moonlander. A GREAT workout. Think we got another inch or two yesterday of powder. Plus some drifting. Unknown MTB trail conditions at this time but would expect similar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby Bigtymer » December 16th, 2013, 8:02 am

gtrowbridge wrote:
Mike_D wrote:How's the snow depth Ionia way?


Rode the rail trail next to the mtb trails Friday night and was pushing 6 inches of powder with the moonlander. A GREAT workout. Think we got another inch or two yesterday of powder. Plus some drifting. Unknown MTB trail conditions at this time but would expect similar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2



You guys aren't going to impose a rule like the ski area, are you?:) That only fat bikes can ride the trail. I might want to ride the trail over the holiday break with my studded tires:)
Bigtymer
User avatar
Bigtymer
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 6th, 2008, 8:57 am
Location: Carbondale, CO

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » December 18th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Bigtymer wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:
Mike_D wrote:How's the snow depth Ionia way?


Rode the rail trail next to the mtb trails Friday night and was pushing 6 inches of powder with the moonlander. A GREAT workout. Think we got another inch or two yesterday of powder. Plus some drifting. Unknown MTB trail conditions at this time but would expect similar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2



You guys aren't going to impose a rule like the ski area, are you?:) That only fat bikes can ride the trail. I might want to ride the trail over the holiday break with my studded tires:)


I don't care who rides the trails. Just ride them! :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby Bigtymer » December 20th, 2013, 7:12 am

gtrowbridge wrote:
Bigtymer wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:
Mike_D wrote:How's the snow depth Ionia way?


Rode the rail trail next to the mtb trails Friday night and was pushing 6 inches of powder with the moonlander. A GREAT workout. Think we got another inch or two yesterday of powder. Plus some drifting. Unknown MTB trail conditions at this time but would expect similar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2



You guys aren't going to impose a rule like the ski area, are you?:) That only fat bikes can ride the trail. I might want to ride the trail over the holiday break with my studded tires:)


I don't care who rides the trails. Just ride them! :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2


Cool:)
Bigtymer
User avatar
Bigtymer
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 6th, 2008, 8:57 am
Location: Carbondale, CO

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » March 24th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Attempted ride yesterday on the trail.
Way too much snow in the woods that hasn't seen any sun or melt, and thus is not packing.
The moonlander just sunk down into it.

On the road side most of the trail is thawed due to good sun exposure.

The trail trail next door was frozen hard even @25 degrees and sunshine.
Don't anticipate that will be the case in the next 10 days as it warms up.
Any exposed rail trail was mud and even the moonlander left tracks with slight dents.

So hopefully with the warm temps we'll see some improvement in the next 10 days to the MTB trail.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » April 29th, 2014, 11:41 am

2nd hand trail report.
Besides the rain this week the trail has been dry. Not the mud or standing water of years past.
It was opened up last last week of some bushes and trees that came down in the winter.

Enjoy and report back.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » May 23rd, 2014, 8:41 am

Pretty much a last minute post.

Trail day at Ionia.
31 May
9am - 12pm

We'll have the WMMBA trailer there.

Bring gloves, water and snacks if you need them.

Plan is to do some cutting back/removal of the spring time vegetation.
This will probably include some invasive species removal.

Please response if you can attend.
Thanks.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » May 27th, 2014, 3:37 pm

The Ionia trails has now drank the kook-aid and joined the masses on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ionia-St ... 4962724428
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » June 10th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Trail day was a success. 9 people showed up and we made good use of the chapters tool truck for 3hrs. Headed to Oliver's for a lunch and a beer provided by Dan's bike shop afterwards.

Got some mowing done this past weekend but the tractor has some issues so won't be back at mowing for a while.
Be prepared for tall grass. Trail conditioner is being applied in the meantime to more of the trail to slow the growth grass, weeds and anything pokey. Still some trimming that can be d
one on the shrubbery despite best efforts on trail day.



wMMBA Ionia State Rec Area Trail Coordinator - Using Tapatalk from my cell.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby Madmax » June 13th, 2014, 9:20 am

Great Job keeping up on the trail! Rode it on the 10th and it's in great shape for a trail that doesn't get ridden a lot! Grass is high on the west end as your heading back towards the east but you can see a lot of work has been put in! Hopefully we can get the bridge put back in or another alternative other than riding back towards the rail trail or riverside.
Madmax
 
Posts: 2
Joined: July 19th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » June 13th, 2014, 9:51 am

Madmax wrote:Great Job keeping up on the trail! Rode it on the 10th and it's in great shape for a trail that doesn't get ridden a lot! Grass is high on the west end as your heading back towards the east but you can see a lot of work has been put in! Hopefully we can get the bridge put back in or another alternative other than riding back towards the rail trail or riverside.


Thanks! Yeah the grass is getting away from us because my tractor is in the shop right now. Thankfully it isn't laying over the trail and obscuring it.

Don't look for the bridge to be replaced anytime soon. Nobody has the time or money to build it right (obviously since it was washed away it wasn't built right to begin with and has been in a state of deterioration for a long time). The rail trail will be the connector between the loops for a long time. There are a lot of other projects/improvements that are higher priority and will make the trail system more interesting/sustainable.

Keep riding!
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » July 12th, 2014, 9:39 pm

As of the 7th of July trails all mowed.
As of today a lot of major trimming done.

A lot of people riding in an effort to train for the XTERRA Tri at the Ionia rec area on 27 July.

FYI trails and rail trail will be closed for that race.

Take advantage of this and get out n ride the trails.

WMMBA Ionia SRA Trail Coordinater
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » July 14th, 2014, 8:01 am

Need some volunteers to marshal the intersections of the bike portion of the XTERRA race.
If interested please let me know.

7am for volunteers
Probably done by 1pm.

Just waving hands and pointing to get people to go where they need to go .

gtrowbridge@yahoo.com
616-307-5666
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 354
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], utabintarbo and 3 guests