MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby flamingo » October 31st, 2013, 11:40 am

An awesome nite ride last night. Got to the C still in the daylight. After that it was all lights. No fallen trees. A and B are covered with leaves but well worn out. Watch out on C and D at places you may not know were the trail goes.
flamingo

Postby dikowals » November 1st, 2013, 5:22 pm

Rode all of highland today. There is one tree down at the beginning of the D loop and another down on the b loop just before the cutoff on the way away from the trail head. Those are the only two that need a chainsaw, everything else out there is just some small brush, I cleared all the bigger stuff that I could clear without tools.
dikowals

Postby tmbrown » November 10th, 2013, 8:08 am

8th Annual Highland "Rugged Man" Trail Run and Hike today, starts at 10:00
They start on the horse trail at the trail head, and return on B-loop at B, C intersection.

http://www.stayintheshade.org/highland

Trails in great shape for a fall ride, I would delay your ride until afternoon.
tmbrown

Postby rickyg946 » November 19th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Rode this last night. Trees all over the trail! The storm must've been pretty strong to knock those trees down. Some were fairly large. Also pretty slippery with all of the leaves. This was on just A loop but I assume the rest are in similar condition.
rickyg946

Postby tmbrown » November 20th, 2013, 8:15 am

Only one tree down on A-loop at the 2 mile marker, cleared several small trees with my hand saw. I made it out to the B-loop cutoff, it was slow going at night with all the dead fall to clear. The moon coming up was something else last night 8)
tmbrown

Postby irishpitbull » November 22nd, 2013, 11:56 am

Anyone been out there yesterday? Want to hit it with the fat bike.
2014 S-Works Epic
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Postby tmbrown » November 22nd, 2013, 5:14 pm

Kevin cleared all the small branches off C and D-loop earlier this week, he indicated three trees down on C-loop, and one down on the end of D-loop. I clear most of the small branches, and small trees with my hand saw on A and B-loop to the cutoff. The one tree on A-loop at the 2 mile post is still there, and were not sure about B-loop from the cutoff to C, and from C to the cutoff merge.

We try to clear above trees this weekend weather permitting.
tmbrown

Postby ommmaaar » November 24th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Any ice expected out there on Highland trails during Thanksgiving week? I'm not sure switching to studded tires is necessary yet.

Thanks
ommmaaar

Postby hala514 » November 29th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Rode A/B today - the fatbikers had no problems, but my skinnybike (?) was sliding off of every root in the place. thin layer of snow and ice on most of the trail today, that and the layer of thick leaves. Studs woundn't have helped as the leaves aren't crunched up enough yet. Having some large knobbies would have been great today.
hala514

Postby irishpitbull » December 31st, 2013, 10:33 am

Anyone been out here recently?
2014 S-Works Epic
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Postby tmbrown » December 31st, 2013, 1:07 pm

I hiked A-loop last week, Kevin hiked C-loop sometime last week, we hiked D-loop Last Saturday, all above loops are clear of dead fall. We didn’t see any tire tracks on D-loop last Saturday, but when I drove past the trail head later, I noticed tire tracks at the trail head.

It looks rideable all covered with about three inches of hard packed snow ice mix; I think studded tires would be the way to go.

We did clear a couple downed trees on the horse trail that heads east from the trail head to the tunnel, for us cross country skier.
tmbrown

Postby irishpitbull » December 31st, 2013, 1:11 pm

^^^ Thank you for the update and clearing the trees.

I think with the forecast of 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow it should be primed to ride. :mrgreen:
2014 S-Works Epic
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Postby washedout » January 1st, 2014, 1:20 pm

Great conditions for a standard 29er ride this morning. Lotsa tree grabs, a few foot dabs, a couple walked hills, and one big smile all the way...

I cleaned alot more hills today than Saturday, despite the solid under-layer of ice that compacted and rained down early in the week. (i tried to hike it tuesday scouting for a night ride, but it was a linear rink, just nasty). Studs or a fatbike might help, but not needed right now.

Looks like somebody else rode well on yesterday's fresh snow, but those were the only other visible tracks since I rode it on Saturday, as tmbrown noted.
washedout

Postby hill9303 » March 12th, 2014, 10:01 pm

My buddy was out running on A the other day and mentioned that there were cross country ski tracks. Who are the badasses who can pull that off? Hats off to you. I had a hard enough time getting down the hills at highland proper.
hill9303

Postby tmbrown » March 13th, 2014, 5:00 pm

A-loop is a little tight for XC Skiing, but not my FatBike :D

Last Sunday (3-9-14)
tmbrown

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments