Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby reidabel » October 29th, 2013, 9:33 am

Just sawed up and lined up pieces of the big log that uprooted over the trail that goes down behind the pond (which is now dry, surprisingly) near Looman's Run. Please don't move these pieces (or try to ride on them). The plan is for the park to help us by moving them, within the next few days, to Dragonball Run for use in a new feature or two. Nobody else should be taking these pieces anywhere! Conditions on the trail seemed great this morning.
reidabel

Postby pfox90 » October 30th, 2013, 9:32 am

Trails in good shape. There are lots of leaves down which can make things over by Randy's Maze a wee bit more interesting.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 13th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Thinking about heading back out to Burchfield on Fri but I want to avoid hunters. Is hunting allowed in Burchfield?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby xcrdr » November 13th, 2013, 8:09 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Thinking about heading back out to Burchfield on Fri but I want to avoid hunters. Is hunting allowed in Burchfield?

Nope. You're good. I would still wear bright colors.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby Overdrive » November 19th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Update on the trail from a "ride" and work session this a.m. is over here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=121696&p=841851#p841851

Also dealt with what appeared to be a young rabid raccoon at the first entry to swamp thing along the river bank.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby F7Cannon » November 19th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Overdrive wrote:Update on the trail from a "ride" and work session this a.m. is over here:

Also dealt with what appeared to be a young rabid raccoon at the first entry to swamp thing along the river bank.

Thanks Anne. Probably going to be a while before I can get out there to do anything. Still trying to put my own yard back together.
08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-441 Geared-889 Road Bike-211
F7Cannon

Postby Overdrive » November 19th, 2013, 7:55 pm

F7Cannon wrote:
Overdrive wrote:Update on the trail from a "ride" and work session this a.m. is over here:

Thanks Anne. Probably going to be a while before I can get out there to do anything. Still trying to put my own yard back together.

Think a bunch of home cleanup is going on. Have ours just about wrapped (I hope).
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby xcrdr » November 19th, 2013, 9:21 pm

My yard is cleaned up. Now I just want my power back on. By the sounds of it the trails won't be good for a week or so. I wonder how Anderson fared.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby Overdrive » November 19th, 2013, 9:28 pm

xcrdr wrote:My yard is cleaned up. Now I just want my power back on. By the sounds of it the trails won't be good for a week or so. I wonder how Anderson fared.

Trail condition (the dirt) is awesome. Just need to get rid of a bunch of timber and small stuff before it's under snow.

Anderson update here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=89832&p=841879#p841879
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby Overdrive » November 19th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Overdrive wrote:
xcrdr wrote:My yard is cleaned up. Now I just want my power back on. By the sounds of it the trails won't be good for a week or so. I wonder how Anderson fared.

Trail condition (the dirt) is awesome. Just need to get rid of a bunch of timber and small stuff before it's under snow.
Any ETA on your power return? I've been hearing fewer generators as the day went.

Anderson update here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=89832&p=841879#p841879
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby SteveF » November 23rd, 2013, 8:02 pm

Well, rode out there today--kicked a LOT of small/mid sized stuff off the trail. Took almost 3 hours to do the 10.5 mile loop. But I was doggin' it anyway. There are 10-12 trees down, most aren't huge or ugly but there are 3 or so that are going to be a real PIA to deal with. One in the pines I don't think can be removed. Maybe we can reroute around it or scalp it for a log ride. It is at least waist high, big ol' pine tree, and it'l along the trail rather than across it. Anyone have a chainsaw I can use--I think I could get most of them tomorrow...will also help carry someone's saw and gear for them if they don't want to lend it but don't relish the haul/hike. I know where most of the trees are so I can get us to them without too much trouble.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby reidabel » November 23rd, 2013, 10:05 pm

Let's be careful not to cut away anything that provides a good opportunity for a feature build! This is Burchfield, after all, we're known for these things. This is the sort of situation I usually have to wait a LONG time for ... let's not miss out on something fun. That big pine sounds great, let's let the Trail Coordinator make the decisions on the removal of all of these trees. I know for a fact he wants to see some easier stunts out there, so we may be able to accomodate more riders than usual.
reidabel

Postby reidabel » November 23rd, 2013, 10:09 pm

On the same subject, I removed a tangle across the Hellboy trail this morning, near the start, but left a small tree down across it - I want to build an easy up-and-over there to give that part of the trail some more character. I wrote "DO NOT CUT" on it, so I'm hoping nobody cuts it! I didn't see all of these other trees that people are talking about, I'm busy with a new build that Jeff (the TC) and I are doing on Dragonball Run. We'll be out there tomorrow morning if anybody wants to drop by Dragonball and check it out.
reidabel

Postby SteveF » November 24th, 2013, 9:40 am

There's several down in Annie's/the end of Franks, on the fast downhill up onto the ridge then on the hill down again with a couple of small ones also switchback climbs out and around and back up that ridge to the big 3-4 line downhill--there's prolly 4-5 little trees down in there in the worst, momentum killing places. There's a tangled, overhead widowmaker on Forest Hump, on the downhill with the sharp left at the bottom. There's one or two, including a tangled, brushy messy one on Nathan Dynamite, (which I think may be from a while ago actually) and then the huge pine tree down in the piney section toward ND's end that'll need re-routing or scalping for a log ride I think. There's one or two across the trail in Bob's supremacy that could maybe/probably be made rollable, then the "do not cut," log on the optional trail leading to hellboy, and then one or two little ones along the river after dragonball. Things get a little hazy after that, but I believe there was one or two down in swamp thing too, that could possibly be incorporated as log piles or removed. I know there was at least one by the log lean-to/teepee. I'm going to ride there again today I think--I'll try to edit this if need be for anymore I find or more precise locations...the worst of it is the Annie's/Frank through the big Pine tree at the end of Nathans, I think. If anyone wants to tackle that much I could help as much as I can without a saw.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby reidabel » November 24th, 2013, 4:10 pm

We talked when I saw you and Shaun out there earlier today, but for those who are following this, I did check that big uproot on Kentaro's Monster. It's quite the monster uproot (either two trees uprooted together or it's a joined trunk), but it can be easily routed around. I'd like to reserve that for a later stunt build, since we can just reroute around it for now - building season is almost over, so I'd get to it in the Spring at the earliest (though I have a secret project that hopefully will be allowed and take priority in the Spring). The one that's down just before it is smaller and could either be cut through or given the small up-and-over treatment like the ones that are in that area already. They are small enough not to need bypasses - this is the advanced trail, after all.

The one you mention on Nathan Dynamite, the big pine on (and parallel to) the trail, sounds like a natural log ride (as you said), with a bypass running the whole way beside it, once we cut out the branches. Probably a ramp up and a ramp down, a simple build if somebody wants to try it. Simple, but time-consuming.
reidabel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments