Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Chippewa93 » October 27th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Just rode most of the loops out there and all are in great shape. Lots of hikers and Iceman trainees
" Life is what happens when your making plans " - John Lennon
Chippewa93

Postby schortie » October 27th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Only thing to add about riding today: it was really, really pretty.
New guy
schortie

Postby teach58 » November 3rd, 2013, 8:50 am

Trail too wet to ride today?
teach58

Postby G.Cook » November 5th, 2013, 7:34 am

Widow maker just before the new boardwalks on the south side of Doyle on the return to the parking lot. Duck.
G.Cook

Postby mtnbiker007 » November 8th, 2013, 2:09 pm

The Saturday before the Iceman around 11:00ish I rode Poto. I've ridden it many times but never on Saturday around this time. I rode a 1:30 pace and was passed by over 75 riders. Never seen anything like it. I didn't think I was "slow", but apparently I am. On Saturday mornings are there normally team training rides at Poto or was this just a bunch of people wanting to get in a last ride before the Iceman? Just don't want a repeat experience, so I'd rather avoid the area when there's team training going on. By about the 40th pass it got to be annoying....
mtnbiker007

Postby Paul Brown » November 8th, 2013, 2:24 pm

That was just the annual PSSWC ride, a once a year ride (it's not a race :P ride). Look under ride announcements for deails.
So didn't you notice all the guys passing you were on single speeds ? 8)
Time frame seems off though, since the PWSSC started at high noon.
I'll be riding at 10am tomorrow and don't expect to see many riders out there.
Last edited by Paul Brown on November 8th, 2013, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Brown

Postby cmkovick » November 8th, 2013, 2:26 pm

mtnbiker007 wrote:The Saturday before the Iceman around 11:00ish I rode Poto. I've ridden it many times but never on Saturday around this time. I rode a 1:30 pace and was passed by over 75 riders. Never seen anything like it. I didn't think I was "slow", but apparently I am. On Saturday mornings are there normally team training rides at Poto or was this just a bunch of people wanting to get in a last ride before the Iceman? Just don't want a repeat experience, so I'd rather avoid the area when there's team training going on. By about the 40th pass it got to be annoying....

You sir were in the midst of the PSSWC. A SS group ride every year that tends to take place the weekend before Iceman at noon. It is a fun event to take part in with refreshing beverages after.
Waterloo Working Group
Fatback 190 aka Big Booty Queen B of Waterloo
Stumpy Marathon HT
Salsa El Mariachi SS
KLR 650
cmkovick

Postby mtnbiker007 » November 8th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Thanks for the info! I left the house around 11, so I guess it was Noonish that I was on the trail.

I felt like I was in a nightmare. I was running one of my better times, yet had never been passed so many times in my life. Many of the bikes were vintage old school, so that didn't help....now I find out they were all SS's to boot!!! Didn't notice cause I was too busy pulling over every 2 minutes.

I must be slooooooow.....Maybe I need to take up a new hobby!? Hahahahaha
mtnbiker007

Postby Paul Brown » November 9th, 2013, 7:02 am

mtnbiker007 wrote:Thanks for the info! I left the house around 11, so I guess it was Noonish that I was on the trail.

I felt like I was in a nightmare. I was running one of my better times, yet had never been passed so many times in my life. Many of the bikes were vintage old school, so that didn't help....now I find out they were all SS's to boot!!! Didn't notice cause I was too busy pulling over every 2 minutes.

I must be slooooooow.....Maybe I need to take up a new hobby!? Hahahahaha

No point in sweating how fast or slow you are because there will always be a bunch of guys/gals faster, a bunch of guys/gals slower and a bunch of guys/gals way faster than those guys who are faster than you and a bunch of guys/gals way slower than those guys/gals who are slower than you, even if they are on old school ss rigs :lol: .
Paul Brown

Postby sisu » November 9th, 2013, 9:28 am

Yep. I had the chance to watch the expert class race at Peak 2 Peak this year. It was amazing to see how much faster the pros are compared to really fast expert riders. There is always someone a lot faster (and slower) than you.
sisu

Postby Paul Brown » November 9th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Stellar conditions today, slightest amount of grease on a few spots on Gosling but overall awesome fall conditions.

As a side note, rode with one of these fast guys (pro or whatever) and yea, the difference is so stark its not even funny, soft pedaling to keep us on while I'm above LT on the rivet, good (O2 depleted) times :shock: .
Paul Brown

Postby teach58 » November 14th, 2013, 9:05 pm

OK, so I know it is hunting season & this is opening weekend but still...
Seems like I have heard that the hunting is a morning thing? Safe to ride in the early afternoon? Looks to be so nice on Saturday.
teach58

Postby jajones » November 15th, 2013, 7:05 am

All I can tell you is that I've ridden Poto during firearms deer season for 20+ years with no issues. Avoid dawn or dusk riding. Wear hunter orange. Obviously, night riding is not an issue.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby Paul Brown » November 15th, 2013, 7:59 am

Rode yesterday afternoon. With the recent freezing overnight there is the typical grease on the expected spots on Gosling. Really nice fall conditions overall.
Temps not getting below freezing the next few night so conditions will remain at least as good as last night until the next rain or overnight freezing ensues.
Once the freeze/thaw cycle is in full bloom, use your head. Everybody reading this knows riding frozen ruts blows, so don't create them, probably preaching to the choir hear though.
Paul Brown

Postby CardsHockey » November 20th, 2013, 10:00 am

Rode the whole thing yesterday (11/19), lots of trees down across the trail. It looks like two really big ones had already been cut up and removed, but there are at least 10 others completely blocking the trail so be careful going too fast in an area where you can't see too far ahead!
CardsHockey

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments