Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby MLKuhl » October 25th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Anyone been out lately? Conditions? Camped but never ridden here. Thinking of driving up and riding either Sat or Sun morning depending on weather then hitting Anderson and Burchfield on way back to Jackson. Will it be muddy after the rain we've had, does it drain well? Any input appreiciated. Thanks
Matt

2014 Soma Juice
1987 Miyata 912
MLKuhl

Postby owosso bob » October 25th, 2013, 4:41 pm

MLKuhl wrote:Anyone been out lately? Conditions? Camped but never ridden here. Thinking of driving up and riding either Sat or Sun morning depending on weather then hitting Anderson and Burchfield on way back to Jackson. Will it be muddy after the rain we've had, does it drain well? Any input appreiciated. Thanks

Worked on the trail today with DNR Dave and it is dry out there . We have put in a number of culverts to keep the water off the trail . However there are a lot of leaves but it is that time of year and if it rains they may be a little slick . Please know that it is a two way trail . The posts are numbered counter clockwise . The best place to park is the east picnic area on the left as you drive into the park . Head across the road onto the 2 track to the trail . A lot of riders ride a lap both ways as it seems there is more climbing clockwise . Have a good ride . Owosso Bob
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » November 6th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Cleared all of the trails Monday November 4th. They were pretty dry, but getting lots of rain today (Wednesday).

Dave

P.S. Don't forget to check out the general forum for details about global fat bike day. Looks like there might be a group ride out here Dec 7th.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » November 20th, 2013, 3:55 pm

I cleared trees on the eastern half of the trails today. So trail markers 1,2,3,4, 13,14,15, 16, 17 to 8.

I'm sure there must be trees down on the northeast, east and south sections of the trails. I will try to get out this week to finish.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » November 20th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Dave if you need help let me know, I should be done at the Hopkins Lake trails in a another day or so. Had a guy come in to the House of Wheels this afternoon that rode out there today and he said there were numerous trees down . Not sure where .
owosso bob

Postby KonaNiner » November 21st, 2013, 3:10 pm

owosso bob wrote:
MLKuhl wrote:Anyone been out lately? Conditions? Camped but never ridden here. Thinking of driving up and riding either Sat or Sun morning depending on weather then hitting Anderson and Burchfield on way back to Jackson. Will it be muddy after the rain we've had, does it drain well? Any input appreiciated. Thanks

Worked on the trail today with DNR Dave and it is dry out there . We have put in a number of culverts to keep the water off the trail . However there are a lot of leaves but it is that time of year and if it rains they may be a little slick . Please know that it is a two way trail . The posts are numbered counter clockwise . The best place to park is the east picnic area on the left as you drive into the park . Head across the road onto the 2 track to the trail . A lot of riders ride a lap both ways as it seems there is more climbing clockwise . Have a good ride . Owosso Bob

Thank you for the work on this. I love this trail.
KonaNiner

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » November 21st, 2013, 4:23 pm

Everything north of Price Rd is clear. 11/21/13

I still have to do south of Price Rd.

Thanks,

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » November 22nd, 2013, 2:42 pm

12 hours later the trails are clear. There are a few trees that are leaning and hung up in other trees still. I didn't feel safe cutting those alone out there and wanted to make sure the trails were passable. If they come down let me know. If not I will try to make a trip around the trails again before the Dec 7 ride out here.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby SteveF » November 22nd, 2013, 4:43 pm

DNR Sleepy Hollow wrote:12 hours later the trails are clear. There are a few trees that are leaning and hung up in other trees still. I didn't feel safe cutting those alone out there and wanted to make sure the trails were passable. If they come down let me know. If not I will try to make a trip around the trails again before the Dec 7 ride out here.

Dave

Thanks for the hard work, Dave-sounds like a long day! Bob and I plan to pre-ride the trails at least once before the 7th so we should be able to check for any issues then...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby mwilson7 » November 22nd, 2013, 5:46 pm

Is there an event 12/7?
Mark
mwilson7

Postby utabintarbo » November 22nd, 2013, 5:58 pm

mwilson7 wrote:Is there an event 12/7?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121578
utabintarbo

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » November 25th, 2013, 4:23 pm

That would be great if you guys would ride it before the event. I will be in meetings Tues, Wed, Thursday of that week. So either Monday or Friday I could clean up any trees that you guys think need to be dealt with.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby AllMountin' » November 26th, 2013, 5:21 am

I should be able to get a ride in this weekend out there. I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to pin up some small, postcard size arrows at select junctions to take any guesswork out for the event. Would that be acceptable? I don't know if we'll all ride as one big group or if it will be fractured into multiple groups. I'm in favor of the former, but if it's split, temp signage could be beneficial.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby utabintarbo » November 26th, 2013, 6:16 am

That would be a good idea for us slow peoples. :)
utabintarbo

Postby SteveF » November 26th, 2013, 7:54 am

AllMountin' wrote:I should be able to get a ride in this weekend out there. I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to pin up some small, postcard size arrows at select junctions to take any guesswork out for the event. Would that be acceptable? I don't know if we'll all ride as one big group or if it will be fractured into multiple groups. I'm in favor of the former, but if it's split, temp signage could be beneficial.

I definitely think some arrows would be helpful at certain intersections/number posts. Some of them are pretty obvious but some are not. I was thinking about just carrying a roll of florescent tape or something and just cutting triangles out of it to use as temporary arrows, but anything would probably work. OwBob and I were going to preride it some time before the 7th; this weekend might be the best chance. You could certainly join us--I'd welcome signage input from someone else that (like me but not like Bob) doesn't know the trail real well. Got a day in mind? I'm off Thursday-Sunday.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments