MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » October 8th, 2013, 12:51 pm

The saga of Wixom began in 1830 when Lewis Norton came to Oakland County from New York State and settled in the southern portion of what is now Wixom. He soon built a home and sawmill on the creek beyond the school playground. Today, as then, the creek bears his name. Norton Creek is an offshoot of the Huron River, which meanders through much of southern Michigan. Mr. Norton’s years in Wixom were few - two or three to be exact. He moved on to Williamston where he was killed by lightning while taking shelter under a tree during an electrical storm.
J/C

Postby Hermannator » October 8th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Interesting. Now is Norton Creek the creek that has the bridge over it at Garden Road? Does the Boy Scout bridge go over it too?
Hermannator

Postby davedejonge » October 9th, 2013, 8:51 am

yes,

that creek is Norton Creek...

the straightest creek I have ever seen... I assume it must have been dredged at one time.

http://www.mytopo.com/maps/?lat=42.5655 ... 56924&z=14

Do you guys ever ride the boy scout bridge?
I'm afraid to go thru there in any time but the middle of winter when I know its frozen... it so wet and soupy
davedejonge

Postby football44 » October 20th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Moving to a neighborhood near Loon Lake in Wixom. I'm excited about the proximity to Proud Lake and Highland, as well as the Tree farm. Question: is there a way thru the east side of Proud Lake (east of Wixom Road) that spits out on Duck Lake Road. Is it ok/possible to ride thru there? I'm thinking of riding thru the eastern part of Proud Lake in order to stay off the blacktop, and access both the Proud Lake trails and a dirt road route to Highland. Anybody want to share (or PM me) some secrets?
football44

Postby J/C » October 21st, 2013, 8:21 am

football44 wrote:Moving to a neighborhood near Loon Lake in Wixom. I'm excited about the proximity to Proud Lake and Highland, as well as the Tree farm. Question: is there a way thru the east side of Proud Lake (east of Wixom Road) that spits out on Duck Lake Road. Is it ok/possible to ride thru there? I'm thinking of riding thru the eastern part of Proud Lake in order to stay off the blacktop, and access both the Proud Lake trails and a dirt road route to Highland. Anybody want to share (or PM me) some secrets?

Hi, there's a connector trail that runs through the east side of Proud Lake, from near park HQ over to the campground. That part is a sandy 2-track. The connector continues east/south-east past the campground gatehouse on an old park 2-track. Then it turns south through the woods to take you across Glengary Rd to the recpath, which will take you to Hickory Glen trail.

To get to Highland you can take Proud Lake trails or Garden Rd into Milford then head up through town. The trails in Proud Lake north of the dam lead to Sleeth Rd, but they are hiking trails.

Might be better to get a tour, post up here and I'm sure one of us can show you around.

John
Proud Lake Asst. Trail Coordinator
J/C

Postby washedout » October 21st, 2013, 10:04 am

Everything John said with one improvement(?):

I take Garden road to Burns road North to Highland Rec area instead of going all the way into town on Garden road. (unless riding to Milford trail, at which point you can take the direct route through town or the connector path from Loop 4 to DQ/Kensington pavement system and ride paths to Milford trail).
You may like Burns road better than Duck Lake road, since it is almost all dirt except for a portion that is Wixom trail.

Enjoy living so close to such a diverse set of trails and paths!! Proud Lake has a lot to explore/enjoy when you include all the 2-track and local dirt roads too.
washedout

Postby football44 » October 21st, 2013, 4:31 pm

I'm kinda pumped to explore new territory and connect things up. Honestly, I wasn't sure if the move from the Brighton area was gonna be a good thing as far as mountain biking goes. Wixom sounds like the place to be. I recently bought a Scott Scale 29er specifically for linking up trail systems via road, pathways, and two-track. Hot damnnnnn!
football44

Postby Builder-Bill » October 21st, 2013, 7:22 pm

football44 wrote:Moving to a neighborhood near Loon Lake in Wixom. I'm excited about the proximity to Proud Lake and Highland, as well as the Tree farm. Question: is there a way thru the east side of Proud Lake (east of Wixom Road) that spits out on Duck Lake Road. Is it ok/possible to ride thru there? I'm thinking of riding thru the eastern part of Proud Lake in order to stay off the blacktop, and access both the Proud Lake trails and a dirt road route to Highland. Anybody want to share (or PM me) some secrets?

Or just go through the back streets of Downtown Milford over to weaver rd. Head North on Weaver rd, too Cooly rd turn right.
Go to Beaumont rd. turn left and take to the back way to Highland.... Highland is only a 2 miles from downtown Main St. Milford.
Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby davedejonge » October 22nd, 2013, 1:54 pm

Football,

I live on the west side of Proud Lake, and yeah, there are a lot of trails that are all really close near here.
I won't add much re getting to Proud Lake from your area, except that maybe a map would be in order....
Anyone got a GPS track of the connector between proud lake and the Hick?

Re getting to Highland from Proud Lake...

From west end of loop 2, take Garden rd heading East to Burns, then head north to get to Highland. Left on Cooley, Right on Beaumont)
(Or exit loop 1 onto Garden rd and head west to Burns)
If you enter Highland off Beaumont Rd you can jump in at 2 points, the first leads to a spot at the B/C intersection, or you can jump in about 1/3rd of the way thru D.
I don't think that either are well marked on Beaumont, but neither are terribly long before you reach the actual Highland Loops

Check out this map for more on Proud Lake if you haven't already seen it..

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_-YeT-KS4SOemFIamlCb0NNRGs
davedejonge

Postby Spinwheel » November 12th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Dead deer blocking loop 1 by Wixom Rd. north of the powerline - a large doe that had been there a day maybe two. Otherwise only the usual wet spots with a top coat of thin ice, ground partially frozen and roots EXTREMELY slick.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Hermannator » November 13th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Only Proud Lake could have a dead deer blocking the trail.... That's another reason to love it...
Hermannator

Postby Spinwheel » November 23rd, 2013, 6:30 pm

The dead deer was cleared a couple days ago and Loop 1 was mostly clear after the storm. Down tree near the Garden Road bridge but only partially blocking the trail.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby mwilson7 » November 24th, 2013, 7:06 am

The deer wasn't that much of an object as you could easily bunny hop over it....... never thought I would do that.......
Mark
mwilson7

Postby J/C » December 23rd, 2013, 11:29 am

Went out hiking a little yesterday, trail was slushy. Lots of trees down in the first part of loop 3 (before entering the climax forest). Will try to get them soon. Also a tree down on loop 1 but it can easily be gotten around. John
J/C

Postby J/C » December 29th, 2013, 10:50 am

Yesterday I cut out a few trees on Loop 3. The one at the very beginning is still there but very easy to go around. I left it for last and ended up hiking back a different route.

Post up if you find anything blocking the trail.

John
J/C

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments