Arcadia Dunes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Arcadia Dunes

Postby Sortaslow » October 3rd, 2013, 4:29 pm

I'd call them people on bikes that happened to find a trail that is way over their heads. But I wouldn't call them bikers. Do they think they are heading to a rail trail?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » October 3rd, 2013, 4:51 pm

Sortaslow wrote:Do they think they are heading to a rail trail?

Very probably, and then were in way over their heads. A lot of people think that "mountain biking" is anything that's not on a road, and their only experience with "trails" is rail trails.

There's been a number of times when I've mentioned to coworkers that I'm going for a ride and they ask if I'm going for a ride on the PCT or whatnot, and they mention how it's "pretty rough".

When I first started riding a handful of years ago I had no idea what proper MTB trails were like, I just knew that I wanted to ride a bike. Then I found MTB trails and that I liked them a lot.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Sortaslow » October 3rd, 2013, 6:15 pm

Except it takes about 1/10 of a mile to realize, holy *beep*, this aint a 'bicycle with a basket' ride. Lacking common sense I'd say.
But i do agree, tell people you mt bike and they say "oh, you ride paint creek trail?"
Sortaslow

Postby bgerlach » October 3rd, 2013, 6:24 pm

Regardless as a land manager I would prefer they do not leave with a bad taste in their mouth. Hopefully the novice trail will alleviate most of these instances and may help graduate more riders to the bigger trail once they develop the skills and confidence.

Sortaslow wrote:Except it takes about 1/10 of a mile to realize, holy *beep*, this aint a 'bicycle with a basket' ride. Lacking common sense I'd say.

bgerlach

Postby Sortaslow » October 3rd, 2013, 6:27 pm

Yes, i do not envy your position with something like this.

Sortaslow

Postby BForhan » October 3rd, 2013, 6:51 pm

I love the trail, I just need to ride it when I am not racing the Arcadian Grit and Gravel Race. Then I can take in more of what is around.

Brian
BForhan

Postby c0nsumer » October 3rd, 2013, 6:59 pm

bgerlach wrote:Regardless as a land manager I would prefer they do not leave with a bad taste in their mouth. Hopefully the novice trail will alleviate most of these instances and may help graduate more riders to the bigger trail once they develop the skills and confidence.

Agreed, I think that's a great idea. I hope you didn't think I was arguing against it. Having trail for all levels of rider is ideal, as it really increases the park's draw.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby MLKuhl » October 8th, 2013, 10:39 am

Planning on heading up for a day of riding in a couple weeks as long as weather looks good. Will be my first time riding here, how is it during bow season? I read not recommended during gun season. Also, any problems with break in's recently. Thanks in advance.
Matt
MLKuhl

Postby bgerlach » October 8th, 2013, 5:37 pm

MLKuhl wrote:Planning on heading up for a day of riding in a couple weeks as long as weather looks good. Will be my first time riding here, how is it during bow season? I read not recommended during gun season. Also, any problems with break in's recently. Thanks in advance.

There are a few bow hunters there but no instances of conflicts. No break-ins this year - Sheriff Department is pretty sure they caught the culprits last year.

Brad
bgerlach

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » October 8th, 2013, 9:14 pm

bgerlach wrote:There are a few bow hunters there but no instances of conflicts. No break-ins this year - Sheriff Department is pretty sure they caught the culprits last year.

Brad

This good news! I hit this trail quite a few times during the summer and most times the parking lot is empty. Ever since the last break in, I've been paranoid that I'll come back to a busted out window or worse, a missing vehicle.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby detroitjohnny » April 27th, 2014, 8:19 pm

Rode Arcadia today, 2 laps. One clockwise, one counter-clockwise. Trail is in great shape, snow is all gone. Plenty of leaves on the trail, but they are breaking down quickly as people are out riding.

Tree down at mile marker 7 riding clockwise. Big tree, will need a good size chainsaw, or plenty of time with a little one.

Get out and ride it, it's such a great trail. 8)
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby bgerlach » April 28th, 2014, 7:44 am

Thanks for the heads up - we will get to the tree this week.

detroitjohnny wrote:Rode Arcadia today, 2 laps. One clockwise, one counter-clockwise. Trail is in great shape, snow is all gone. Plenty of leaves on the trail, but they are breaking down quickly as people are out riding.

Tree down at mile marker 7 riding clockwise. Big tree, will need a good size chainsaw, or plenty of time with a little one.

Get out and ride it, it's such a great trail. 8)
bgerlach

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » July 7th, 2014, 9:46 am

This is a late report for last week (limited internet service on vacation). There was a large chainsaw worthy tree down between trail map marker 1 and trail map marker 5 (not mile markers).

I love this trail.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby bgerlach » July 7th, 2014, 12:28 pm

lunge bob sweatpants wrote:This is a late report for last week (limited internet service on vacation). There was a large chainsaw worthy tree down between trail map marker 1 and trail map marker 5 (not mile markers).

I love this trail.

I suspect that may be the one we already cut but I'll check tomorrow - thanks for letting us know. Everything else good otherwise?
bgerlach

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » July 7th, 2014, 2:09 pm

bgerlach wrote:
lunge bob sweatpants wrote:This is a late report for last week (limited internet service on vacation). There was a large chainsaw worthy tree down between trail map marker 1 and trail map marker 5 (not mile markers).

I love this trail.

I suspect that may be the one we already cut but I'll check tomorrow - thanks for letting us know. Everything else good otherwise?

This was on Thursday and going counter clockwise from the trailhead a little before the Matzinger road crossing. The trail was great. I just wish I had more time to spend out there that day.

I also noticed the new trail that is being cut. Got to ride a bit of that. Will that ever connect up with the main trail?
lunge bob sweatpants

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments