MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby getseven » August 26th, 2007, 5:40 am

CrisCataldo wrote:.... more hanging around, grilling, kids on the playscape etc.

HANGING AROUND GRILLING KIDS! Sorry I missed it. I'd have brought mine. LOL

Seriously thought. How are trails witht the rain and how did they hold up for race and post race?
getseven

Postby daffunda » August 26th, 2007, 9:15 am

Let's just say that my bike was covered in mud like no tomorrow, and had to take it apart and relube everything. The expert/elite racers were still better off, but the sport/beginner class was a mud fest, almost like riding during winter thaw.

I'd say give it a few more days before it returns to normal.
daffunda

Postby Sherpaboy » August 26th, 2007, 9:42 am

The main muddy spots everyone is talking about are not normal trail sections are were day of race only parts (i.e Stewy Hill, and the last hill) the rest of the trail is probably fine to ride today, there will be a few mud spots in corners...but to be honest the trail dries rather quickly. If were not for the extra rain we had during the race the beginners and sports would have had a dry trail by the afternoon.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Please help us at Maybury

Postby Sherpaboy » August 26th, 2007, 9:54 am

Okay now that the race is over...we need a little extra help from everyone who rides Maybury.

First
We did a pretty good job cleaning up after the race but I am sure there is still some garbage or yellow caution tape somewhere that we missed. Please help us by picking up any trash or yellow caution tape that you run across.

Second
We need riders to go back to riding the normal MTB trail only. I know the race sections are cool...but we were giving permission to use those areas only for the race. So we'll be back out there to close them off. But to help us out please do not ride those sections anymore. This includes Stewy Hill and the Last Climb...as well as the cut through near the trail head.

The normal trail is open and ready to ride...just not the areas that were special race day sections mentioned above.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

maybury

Postby Chef Dave » August 26th, 2007, 6:54 pm

Thank you to ALL the volunteers for help with the race :D
Thanks to all the racers for braving the rain and racing! 8)
The guy that broke his ankle I cleaned your bike and I will deliver it to Trails Edge this week! :(
MMBA Trail Coordinator for Maybury State Park and Titus Racer X rider.
Chef Dave

Postby daffunda » August 26th, 2007, 7:54 pm

The trail is great again. 8)

We need hill like the stewie hill as part of the normal trail.
daffunda

Postby bender13 » August 26th, 2007, 8:12 pm

It would be cool if the trail could go back down after the first hill (with the bench) climb Stewie hill and return back to the normal trail at the split rail fence. I am not sure how bad the long term erosion would be. Maybe some switchbacks on the climb.

Great job at the race everyone who worked so hard!

Jeff
bender13

Postby daffunda » August 27th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Stewie wants.

daffunda

Postby bharring » August 27th, 2007, 8:31 pm

Anyone concerned on <wide> the trial is getting??? :evil:
bharring

Postby bender13 » August 28th, 2007, 9:10 am

Can anyone who was out yesterday or today post up some conditions. I would like to shoot out after work if conditions are good.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
bender13

Postby alden » August 28th, 2007, 10:20 am

bender13 wrote:Can anyone who was out yesterday or today post up some conditions. I would like to shoot out after work if conditions are good.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

conditions were awesome last night. the trail didn't get too wide and no real mud to be found. go for it!
i'm only nice to people i don't like

"you are accustomed to dropping a duex in your pants."--singletrack mind

"wtf is a duex anyway?!?!"--me
alden

Postby bender13 » August 28th, 2007, 10:38 am

:D Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Jeff
bender13

Postby mtnbkmyk » August 28th, 2007, 1:41 pm

Trail was great today, nearly the best its been all season. A few spots here and there that are a little bit slippery still. By the way, awesome job cleaning up after the race. I took a garbage bag with me just in case and there was nothing to pick up.
"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you." (Satchel Paige)
mtnbkmyk

Postby mbrown3 » August 28th, 2007, 3:15 pm

mtnbkmyk wrote:Trail was great today, nearly the best its been all season. A few spots here and there that are a little bit slippery still. By the way, awesome job cleaning up after the race. I took a garbage bag with me just in case and there was nothing to pick up.

Sounds like riding during & after major rain storms on muddy trails is actually good for trail conditions :shock: Contrary to everything I have read on this forum. :? I have never ridden in anything near the conditions I raced in on Saturday (Sport). I fully expected the trail to take time to get back to normal but it sounds like it is great now, just a couple of day later.
mbrown3

Postby CrisCataldo » August 28th, 2007, 3:32 pm

mbrown3 wrote:
mtnbkmyk wrote:Trail was great today, nearly the best its been all season. A few spots here and there that are a little bit slippery still. By the way, awesome job cleaning up after the race. I took a garbage bag with me just in case and there was nothing to pick up.

Sounds like riding during & after major rain storms on muddy trails is actually good for trail conditions :shock: Contrary to everything I have read on this forum. :? I have never ridden in anything near the conditions I raced in on Saturday (Sport). I fully expected the trail to take time to get back to normal but it sounds like it is great now, just a couple of day later.

Good to hear. Mike/Dave (Maybury TCs) coordinated all the pre-race and post-race trail maintenance.

My own bias aside - two thumbs up to Dave/Mike for putting together a plan that addressed muddy race conditions. They just proved that it is possible to race in the rain and leave it in great shape post-race.
CrisCataldo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions