Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby BusDriver » September 8th, 2013, 8:11 pm

The DNR directly told those guys to cease and desist clearing. The trail is not safe for passage. No trail work is planned until the Widowmakers have been removed.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Life Behind Bars

http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby The RideR » September 13th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Rode Murray today after work. Trail was in good shape. No mud, just couple slick spots.
The RideR

Postby teach58 » September 21st, 2013, 2:27 pm

Howdy folks, any recent trail updates? Is everything rideable that was closed from storm damage?
Thanks!
teach58

Postby BusDriver » September 21st, 2013, 6:11 pm

teach58 wrote:Howdy folks, any recent trail updates? Is everything rideable that was closed from storm damage?
Thanks!

The small Lost Loop section that was damaged is still closed as far as I know. The DNR is still looking at options as what to do with that section. Stand by we should know soon.

Jay
Life Behind Bars

BusDriver

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 21st, 2013, 6:34 pm

I rode Murray/Lost/Found loops today. I didn't realize something was missing from the lost loop. Trail was is good shape, damp, no puddles. The sand is packed down pretty good from the rain.
Steve_Balogh

Postby vette-ss » September 22nd, 2013, 9:12 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:I rode Murray/Lost/Found loops today. I didn't realize something was missing from the lost loop. Trail was is good shape, damp, no puddles. The sand is packed down pretty good from the rain.

I did the same loop last week and there was about 1/2 mile of lost that had been by-passed with a re-route.
vette-ss

Postby mrbikester » October 9th, 2013, 9:06 pm

We rode Murray Lake and Lost Loop trails today and they were in great shape. Rains have helped the sandy areas. Many leaves on the trail and in some areas it was very hard to see the trail.
What PERFECT weather to ride.
mrbikester

Postby joyota » October 10th, 2013, 6:52 am

I rode the Murray Lake and I think the Lost Loop on Monday. I can't remember for sure if it was "Lost" or "Found" Loop, but I know I went left at the fork.

The trail was in great condition. Lots of leaves and pine needles like folks mentioned so watch out. They like to hide roots and rocks. I encountered a downed tree just beyond mile marker 5 near the campsites. I didn't have a saw with me and I couldn't move it myself.

Anyone know if that's been cleared?

Also Rode Torn Shirt on Monday, it was in great condition. Leaves and pine needles again, obviously. I think the dampness actually helped on the climbs by packing down the loose surface a bit.
joyota

Postby reidabel » October 13th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Tree was still down as of early afternoon today. Trail is sandy in lots of places, and with leaves down, but still a great ride in fantastic riding weather!
reidabel

Postby BusDriver » October 14th, 2013, 11:40 am

reidabel wrote:Tree was still down as of early afternoon today. Trail is sandy in lots of places, and with leaves down, but still a great ride in fantastic riding weather!

This section has been cleared, thanks for the post.

JC
Life Behind Bars

BusDriver

Postby xycarp » October 24th, 2013, 8:02 pm

I am heading camping to Brighton this weekend and plan to get at least 1 ride in. I'd like to do 30-40 miles of steady riding. A few questions:

1. Are TornShirt and Murray Lake trails going to have hunters walking around with guns on a Saturday this time of year?
2. Is TornShirt OK to ride alone for 3 or 4 laps?
3. Is there a decent dirt road route near by with some rolling hills? Preferably a loop that starts and ends at the Bishop Lake campground.

I normally ride Pontiac, Addison Oaks, Baldmountain, Poto... Never seen these trails. :?: :D
xycarp

Postby vette-ss » October 24th, 2013, 9:17 pm

I don't think there will be any gun hunting going on, but honestly I don't know what seasons are on right now. There may be bow hunters though. If that's the mileage you want, I would ride all of it 2x....Torn, Murray, Lost, and Found. That would be a good 35 miles +/-. All of the roads around Brighton Rec are dirt except Chilson.
vette-ss

Postby xycarp » October 24th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I see Torn and Murray, but what are Lost and Found? I am looking at this map:
http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... ls2-07.pdf
xycarp

Postby reidabel » October 24th, 2013, 9:38 pm

There are bow hunters hunting there, and firearm hunting season doesn't start until Nov 15th, but I believe there are early firearm categories that may be on now, I don't know for sure. (youth and disabled, I believe). Definitely wear bright colors and not your antler hat. I've also been told that it's a bad idea to wear white, because it can look like a whitetail deer heading away. Lost and Found loops are lengthier extensions of the Murray Lake route, just follow the signs that indicate the lengthier route, and take Found at the sign that has both, it is the longer path. You can probably find deer season information at a DNR web site.
reidabel

Postby DynoDon » October 25th, 2013, 6:05 am

Here are 2013/2014 deer, and small game hunting from DNR, note that some species of small game can be hunted all year. I always wear bright colors, use a bell or horn, love my brakes to squeek. Hunters don't always wear orange, or leave the bottle at home. Happy Trails

Deer:

Early Antlerless Firearm: Sept. 21-22
Liberty Hunt: Sept. 21-22
Independence Hunt: Oct. 17-20
Archery: Oct. 1 - Nov. 14 and Dec. 1 - Jan. 1
Regular Firearm: Nov. 15-30
Muzzleloading:
Zone 1: Dec. 6-15
Zone 2: Dec. 13-22
Zone 3: Dec. 6-22
Late Antlerless Firearm: Dec. 23 - Jan. 1

Small Game Hunting License
A small game license entitles you to hunt rabbit, hare, squirrel (fox and gray), pheasant, ruffed grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, woodcock (HIP endorsement required), quail, crow, coyote (applies to Michigan residents only) and waterfowl (with a federal waterfowl stamp and Michigan waterfowl hunting license, if age 16 or older) during the open season. Opossum, porcupine, weasel, red squirrel, skunk, ground squirrel and woodchuck also may be taken year-round with a valid hunting license. No license is required for a resident, resident's spouse or resident's children to hunt small game on the enclosed farmlands where they live, except a federal waterfowl stamp and state waterfowl license are required to hunt waterfowl.
DynoDon

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments