CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby b_b » September 17th, 2013, 6:25 am

johnboy wrote:there's an easy fix to that... cut the cord, and sell it for scrap. hahaha

The thought had crossed my mind :), but probably result in temporary trail closing. Was actually planning to move it off the trail on that downhill on my next lap but started raining and was also cold so I went home. :(
b_b

Postby AaronEvan » September 17th, 2013, 8:09 am

Where exactly is the cord? Is it easy to see, or does it sneak up on you?
AaronEvan

Postby ihateplaindave » September 17th, 2013, 8:47 am

The cord is all over the place. We rode last night and didn't find it to an issue anywhere.
ihateplaindave

Postby compacted_graphite » September 17th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Trail conditions for Tuesday September 17, 2013: The mountain bike trail at Pontiac Lake is dry, unobstructed, and loose as of 5 PM. Adjustments have been made to treefall around mile 7. The first adjustment is in the middle of the corkscrew, also known as the gully. The fallen tree has been removed and riders are directed up on the side of the gully rather than thru the middle of the gully. This is to help prevent erosion thru the center of the gully. The second fallen tree has been removed further down the "difficult" portion of the gully section, and previous trail route restored. The third fallen tree removed is on gully bypass, also marked as "easy".

There was much length of orange electrical cord (looks just like extension cord) on several sections of trail today, along with a three person crew conducting seismic testing of the shale underneath the park. Neither the crew, or the extension cord seemed to be blocking any of the trail. Just be aware that they are out there, and they do have an ATV that you may encounter on the trail.
compacted_graphite

Postby Jody » September 19th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Trail is awesome. Cord is confusing. Are they going to be fracking out there? I guess if they are doing seismic studies it might be OK. But I don't trust money people.
Jody

Postby b_b » September 20th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Yeah they sure are fracking it up out there!
b_b

Postby coreytrek » September 20th, 2013, 8:14 pm

trail is wet as of mid afternoon today. Orange cord from time to time. Looks like someone recently did some trail maintenance, nice work.
coreytrek

Postby oldkhs » September 21st, 2013, 6:08 pm

Trail was great today. Some of the orange cord is gone, before campground road.
oldkhs

Postby champ128 » September 23rd, 2013, 1:51 pm

No orange cord. Trail is a bit more overgrown than in years past, but given this years rain I think it's in pretty good shape. It's a little loose because of this years rain.
champ128

Postby compacted_graphite » September 24th, 2013, 10:26 am

To respond to Jody's comment on September 19th: are they going to be fracking out there? The Park Supervisor told me that there will not be fracking on the park property. There is a well head that has been drilled on the NE corner of Teggerdine and White Lake Roads intersection, so if they find shale oil (gas) under the park, they would drill sideways from outside the park.
compacted_graphite

Postby Critter7r » September 24th, 2013, 11:24 am

FYI, fracking doesn't require anything to be built on the land from under which the gas is being retrieved. They could set up a rig north of Pontiac Lake Rec and frack for gas under Highland State Rec. They can drill horizontally for miles and they are drilling (supposedly) miles under the surface also.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby mrbikester » October 11th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Trail in overall good shape today. First time riding it this year and surprised how loose gravely some areas are and the exposed roots since last riding here.
Still that climb at around 3 miles in sure is a lung buster.
Perfect weather!
mrbikester

Postby MediumRB » October 12th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Today was beautiful. The leaves just softened the edges but were not slippery. Definitely some choppy parts after the season's (ab)use, but good riding nonetheless.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby smartblast.org » October 19th, 2013, 6:51 am

We did a bunch of trail repair yesterday mostly on the first half to take care of some of the brake bumps and fix some erosion problems.

Filled in a couple of holes before two mile hill that is always wet. Moved a couple of rocks and created a new path (right side)at the very bottom of two mile hill, First nasty descents got some holes filled. Second descent got some holes filled, root covered at the bottom, and second route opened up (left side). Long downhill before the small rock garden and sharp left had the small stump removed, drainage added and some brake bumps fixed. Descent before field and horse crossing had several roots removed.

Second half after the long bridge some holes fixed and drainage added. The rain today should help pack down some of the dirt making for good riding tomorrow. Lots of leaves down now making some of the turns just a little slippery.
smartblast.org

Postby jjmcwill » October 28th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Right after the 1st fork in the trail with a small sign marked "Easy" going right, the left fork descends into a steep erosion gully. The trail alternates left and right sides of the gully as it descends.
At the top of the gully there used to be a white sign marked, "Danger - Slow"

I rode through there on Sunday, and the sign was lying on the ground, mostly blasted by a shotgun.

Welcome to hunting season!

:cry:
jjmcwill

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments