MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Highland

Postby kcnado » March 23rd, 2009, 2:09 pm

Last edited by kcnado on March 24th, 2009, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcnado

Postby thejode » March 23rd, 2009, 2:18 pm

kcnado wrote:I'm planning on clearing the leaves off at least Loop A tonight.

"C" is cleared.

If you wouldn't mind, could you leave the leaves that are covering the usual muddy areas on A and B? I believe they are protecting the trail where it tends to get wet and muddy.
thejode

Postby kcnado » March 23rd, 2009, 2:29 pm

"C" is cleared.

If you wouldn't mind, could you leave the leaves that are covering the usual muddy areas on A and B? I believe they are protecting the trail where it tends to get wet and muddy.

I think I saw a fellow Bella jersey clearing "C" last night at sundown.
Last edited by kcnado on March 24th, 2009, 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
kcnado

Postby Ea » March 23rd, 2009, 3:17 pm

A couple of us in Dark Horse gear were finishing C right around sundown. We use a similar blue on our jerseys. I think The Jode was wearing her Bella socks, though!
Ea

Postby goin-postal » March 23rd, 2009, 4:22 pm

Did trail work Sunday with Bob and Kevin (the TC's of Highland) - they are not happy with the leaf removal and would like it to stop. It will do nothing but ruin the trail. If your afraid to ride in leaves - stay to the dirt roads and paved paths.
goin-postal

Postby Ecruz » March 23rd, 2009, 4:35 pm

goin-postal wrote:Did trail work Sunday with Bob and Kevin (the TC's of Highland) - they are not happy with the leaf removal and would like it to stop. It will do nothing but ruin the trail. If your afraid to ride in leaves - stay to the dirt roads and paved paths.

Are you serious? Someone is clearing the leaves? I thought you guys were joking around. What the heck?
Ecruz

Postby Diesel » March 23rd, 2009, 10:54 pm

Really, what is the percieved problem with clearing leaves off of a trail??? Part of our yearly ritual at Ruby Campground has been to have everyone rake the leaves off of the trail while Mike (TC) points and barks orders.

It sure does seem to let the trail surface "breathe" and lets it dry quickly, leaving a very nice tread. I know that Highland and Ruby are very different soil types, but the results at Ruby sure do convince me that it can't be the wrong thing to do.
Diesel

Postby Paul Brown » March 24th, 2009, 5:31 am

After reading these posts I am heading out there this afternoon as it has been stated at the moment there is no mud. The rain tomorrow could change conditions if the ground can not yet absorb water. I am assuming this info is good and it is mud free as of today. If you know anything to the contrary please post as it is a bit of a drive. Thanks,

Paul
Paul Brown

Postby gearswhatgears » March 24th, 2009, 8:29 am

I think I will check it out today also, hope the info is good!

I would also think getting the leaves off would dry it out faster. Seems the only wet spots during a dry summer day are under the leaves. I am no TC though, or anybody for that matter!
gearswhatgears

Postby risnewski » March 24th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Made it out today and the trail indeed was in great shape. Highland is dry and in fine shape. Thanks for clearing the leaves--that was a lot of work.

A few trees are down and, surprisingly, there is still a bit of snow on the ground in D Loop and the ponds still have lots of ice.

This was only my second time at Highland and I missed the turn off from D back to A. The arrows all go the other way and, dumb as I am, and oxygen deprived as I was, it took a mile and a half to realize I was doing D for a second time. Any chance of getting some better signs out there? Anything I can do to help get this done?
risnewski

Postby thejode » March 24th, 2009, 8:02 pm

risnewski wrote:Made it out today and the trail indeed was in great shape. Highland is dry and in fine shape. Thanks for clearing the leaves--that was a lot of work.

A few trees are down and, surprisingly, there is still a bit of snow on the ground in D Loop and the ponds still have lots of ice.

This was only my second time at Highland and I missed the turn off from D back to A. The arrows all go the other way and, dumb as I am, and oxygen deprived as I was, it took a mile and a half to realize I was doing D for a second time. Any chance of getting some better signs out there? Anything I can do to help get this done?

Nah. You just need to ride it more. Preferably with a guide. ;) :mrgreen: 8) :lol:

Were there a lot of leaves on D? It's easy to get lost when you don't know the trail and there are leaves.
thejode

Postby kcnado » March 24th, 2009, 8:21 pm

thejode wrote:
risnewski wrote:Made it out today and the trail indeed was in great shape. Highland is dry and in fine shape. Thanks for clearing the leaves--that was a lot of work.

It's easy to get lost when you don't know the trail and there are leaves.

Pre-leaf clearing, I started going the wrong way on "A" right off the bat at the split, because the coverage was so intense. Its like fall out there... I hope tonight/tomorrow's rain soaks up quickly!
kcnado

Postby Paul Brown » March 25th, 2009, 7:43 am

I was out there from 4:15 until 6:15 Last night. No mud to be found. Surprising. I don't think the trail could handle much rain though. A Raven front and Crow rear is a good Iceman setup but not the best choice for Highland, but I was too lazy to switch out tires since I have to do it for Barry again this week. Added a bit of excitement to the ride.
Paul
Paul Brown

Postby Paul Brown » March 25th, 2009, 7:48 am

kcnado wrote:
thejode wrote:

It's easy to get lost when you don't know the trail and there are leaves.

Pre-leaf clearing, I started going the wrong way on "A" right off the bat at the split, because the coverage was so intense. Its like fall out there... I hope tonight/tomorrow's rain soaks up quickly!

I have never seen leafs stuck to the direction posts before. wink, wink.
Paul Brown

Postby sdycha » March 25th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Isn't it odd? Some of the places are still nasty and this trail seems good. I was hoping to get over the bridge (from Windsor Ont. Canada this weekend. Our trails near the bridge and south end of town are 3 feet deep in some places. Down toward east end across from Peche Island, the trail was literally bone dry almost everywhere. I could not believe it. Hopefully someone can post as to the conditions at Highland sometime before Sunday. Peace. MY FIRST ever post here.. What a great site..and your parks are magnificent, well kept and the people in USA are awesome too.
sdycha

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions