MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby jjmcwill » September 14th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Trails in great shape.

Riding A, B, C in the opposite direction was tough!
jjmcwill

Postby irishpitbull » September 14th, 2013, 3:35 pm

ADCBA backwards is a riot.

Nice work on clearing the down tress before the events guys!
2014 S-Works Epic
2013 Epic Expert Evo R Carbon
2012 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29r
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Postby Bob Yankus » September 15th, 2013, 8:57 am

FYI
The trail was originally built and designed to ridden in both directions.
Current conditions of erosion on the down hills, make for difficult uphills in reverse.
Wish I could of been around to reverse it every 3 years.
Bob Yankus, From the north shore of Lake Superior
Bob Yankus

Postby amadkins » September 15th, 2013, 11:06 am

Bob Yankus wrote:FYI
The trail was originally built and designed to ridden in both directions.
Current conditions of erosion on the down hills, make for difficult uphills in reverse.
Wish I could of been around to reverse it every 3 years.
Bob Yankus, From the north shore of Lake Superior

Why not do it now? A trail day to tighten up some of the loose spots and flip signage, and off we go.
amadkins

Postby Bob Yankus » September 15th, 2013, 12:17 pm

I hate to tell this, but I had also laid out and scouted a E and F loop. Would of added those a few years later.
Bob Yankus
Bob Yankus

Postby Intense Rider » September 15th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Fun ride yesterday!

Based on the 8 or so people I talked with in the parking lot after the overwhelming opinion amongst us seemed to be, leave D as is, A and B could go either way and definitely flip C.
Intense Rider

Postby Gfish29 » September 15th, 2013, 11:48 pm

Bob Yankus wrote:I hate to tell this, but I had also laid out and scouted a E and F loop. Would of added those a few years later.
Bob Yankus

I am curious to know if E or F loops would have been across/other side of Beaumont Rd?
Gfish29

Postby Bob Yankus » September 16th, 2013, 4:06 am

I am curious to know if E or F loops would have been across/other side of Beaumont Rd?

Yes, F would of crossed.
While scouting and laying the trail out, I met many diverse groups of users of this paradise. Felt a little sad to be taking it over.
It was actually hard not to increase the trail distance.
It's been almost 20 years,
I feel now any of the badly eroded sections should be reclaimed and rerouted. That was done many times initially when the trail was built,when errors were made.
My short reroutes would be built and at the last moment it would be opened and joined. Often, within minutes riders would come by me without a clue. Nature reclaims everything one day.
Bob
Out of sight, heard while working one Sunday," THIS TRAIL IS BETTER THAN RELIGION " as two riders pasted by. Made my day.
Bob Yankus

Postby BSPLEET » September 16th, 2013, 11:35 am

Every spring I meet with park management to discuss our plans for the year, and we always talk about trail expansion. The park management always has the same response. We cannot go into the field trial area. Which is about the only area left for expansion? We do have some trail in there right now and the park doesn’t want any more. But we will keep on trying. Reversing the trail could be a topic for discussion next spring.

Bob Spleet, Highland Rec. Trail Coordinator
BSPLEET

Postby Mr Wonderful » September 19th, 2013, 8:54 am

There's an orienteering meet out of the MTB trailhead area on Saturday, ~12-3 pm. I will tell them to watch for bikes (and horses); please note some folks will be a bit tired by the end of their run, esp. as they encounter A near the trailhead.
Mr Wonderful

Postby davedejonge » September 19th, 2013, 3:14 pm

BSPLEET wrote:Every spring I meet with park management to discuss our plans for the year, and we always talk about trail expansion. The park management always has the same response. We cannot go into the field trial area. Which is about the only area left for expansion? We do have some trail in there right now and the park doesn’t want any more. But we will keep on trying. Reversing the trail could be a topic for discussion next spring.

Bob Spleet, Highland Rec. Trail Coordinator

I'm all for reversing directions on all loops, maybe it could be reversed every year. Would this positively or negatively impact the trail?
davedejonge

Postby AllMountin' » September 19th, 2013, 3:31 pm

There is one downhill rock garden(maybe return of A loop?) that would turn into a short uphill rock garden. I did the first annual reverse ride there, and judging by the number of riders who ended up walking that bit, I'm guessing it would be modded with a cheater line inside of a week, were that the normal direction.

Aside from that, I would guess that most of the armoring was done with the current direction in mind. Not arguing against it, though. I wish more trails adopted the Merrell schedule, with reversals by day. Doubles the number of trails if we did it everywhere.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby tmbrown » September 22nd, 2013, 11:50 am

There's two trees down on B-loop, the first one 4.25 miles in, the second one just before the 6 mile marker. (Saturday around 5:00 pm)

The rest of the trails in great shape :D

I saw a couple hunters out on C-loop, it would be a good idea to wear some orange attire.
tmbrown

Postby jbolenbaugh » September 25th, 2013, 9:28 am

Tree(s) Down Just Before B Cutoff. Three main logs across will need chainsaw. Or borrow one of the hunters shot guns and blow it to pieces.
Team : Wheels In Motion
Great Quotes
"I really love my 29er cannondale single speed, but now that strava exists and I live next to ILRA i'm going to need some gears to look better"
"Quote Redacted" -Racing Greyhounds member
jbolenbaugh

Postby flamingo » October 9th, 2013, 11:26 am

Did ABC and D at night yesterday. No fallen trees. Trail is getting covered up with leafs. Specially the D loop. Otherwise it was in great shape.
flamingo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments