Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby rvd » June 13th, 2013, 11:11 am

xcrdr wrote:Can anyone tell me how bad the Fort got hit last night. Was planning a ride down there. Might ride the fire roads instead.

Kalamazoo Nature Center got only 0.18 inches of rain overnight (Lansing received >3"). So, should be good. See you there.
Last edited by rvd on June 14th, 2013, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
rvd

Postby xcrdr » June 14th, 2013, 12:01 am

First off the trail was in great shape tonight with only a few puddles. Thank you trail crew! Second, does anyone know Fred that drives a green Element? Rode with him tonight and had a great time. Didn't get to say goodbye. Cool guy and fit our group well!
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby TenSpeed » June 14th, 2013, 9:05 am

Trail was pretty awesome!! My fitness level didn't match that, so can only comment on the red. Love that trail. Few little slick areas, few little puddles, should be gone in a day or so. Thank you to everyone who puts the work into maintaining my favorite trail in the state so far.
Ride. 48:15
2014 miles/goal: 2406/2500
TenSpeed

Postby deezler » July 7th, 2013, 10:37 am

Why does no one ever update the conditions for this trail? because it's perfect all the time?

Well that is exactly what I found anyway, on my first time out here yesterday morning. What a blast! The red trail is like a 9 mile roller coaster. So fun. Green trail afterwards was quite a bit more mellow, but still very fun.

Seems like a very well thought out and sustainable trail routing, too. All the bigger climbs have grade reversals and rock armoring where needed (thank you!). Couple of sand pits to watch out for, but generally a very hard and dry trail bed.
deezler

Postby lawn dart » July 7th, 2013, 2:27 pm

We have been hearing great reports about Fort Custer from lots of different people. Thanks for the report (and confirmation!) that F.C. is good fun. Hope to get over there soon!
lawn dart

Postby Flyer 130 » July 11th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Green Trail update About 100 feet after you turn onto the trail tree laid across the trail at about head level. On the down hill two track just after you cross Red about a 4" tree laid aacroos the trail varing fro ground level to about four feet high. After Erin monument to the boat lauch a couple of low hangers passable if you duck! The last 2 trees are when you are approching *beep* going around the swamp first on is right after your sharp left hand turn and can be ducked under. The last one is the Grand Daddy!!! its at the first true hill where you go towards *beep* and wrap around the standiing tree be careful its on the blind side of the standing tree. This one requires a dismount and almost crawl while dragging your bike to get under. As far as the trail goes the trail bed is tacky just be careful on sharp corners carrying speed as the sand is starting to make its yearly apperance.
Flyer 130

Postby MLKuhl » July 26th, 2013, 10:52 am

Looking for conditions, anyone been out lately? Planning to ride this weekend. Thanks
MLKuhl

Postby AJG » July 26th, 2013, 3:47 pm

The trees that Flyer referred to are all gone. There are a few small wash outs due to the recent rains and the usual sandy spots are a little worse than normal but the trail is in great shape otherwise.
AJG

Postby SteveF » August 26th, 2013, 7:34 am

Did red and green yesterday-trail was in good shape for the time of year. Some damp spots from the rain last week, but only one mud hole and it was not problematic. Fair number of sandy spots, pretty typical for this time of year. Fun ride! Log at head height on green on the newish trail that goes off to the right from the old green. I'm short and ducked it without issue but it might catch an inattentive or taller rider off guard.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby ilikenature » September 9th, 2013, 8:19 am

I'm shocked this is rarely updated for the amount of people that ride here...

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
ilikenature

Postby MLKuhl » September 13th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Planning to ride here this weekend. Anyone been out? Updates/conditions? Thanks
Matt
MLKuhl

Postby wizarddaw » September 13th, 2013, 8:15 pm

I did the red loop, some of the green and some of the blue. I thought they were great with some sand on the red and green. The blue had some sandy spots that were pretty bad. What a great job the folks do out there and those trails are a hoot.

Dave
Battle Creek, Michigan
Step up, or step aside!
Humpty Dumpty was Pushed !!
wizarddaw

Postby poirier » September 14th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Trail is in great shape. Tree across the green trail 3ish miles in. There's an easy/hard split, it's on the hard route.
poirier

Postby Xtian1206= » October 9th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Our group plans to ride FORT CUSTER this coming Saturday, 10/12.

We would want to know if the trail is affected by the government shutdown and maybe re-think our ride plans.

Thank you.
Xtian1206=

Postby c0nsumer » October 9th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Xtian1206= wrote:Our group plans to ride FORT CUSTER this coming Saturday, 10/12.

We would want to know if the trail is affected by the government shutdown and maybe re-think our ride plans.

Thank you.

Fort Custer is MDNR land. So, no.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments