CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby jwilds1 » September 10th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the advice - I actually meant to check out his brakes before going (too much lever travel for my liking). But in looking at the trail map, what points actually denote "The Pines" - there aren't any names, just markers. Thanks in advance...

It's kinda like going to Chicago - all of the freeways are referred to by name instead of number and it BUGS me...
- John
Super-noob
jwilds1

Postby utabintarbo » September 10th, 2013, 1:37 pm

jwilds1 wrote:Thanks for the advice - I actually meant to check out his brakes before going (too much lever travel for my liking). But in looking at the trail map, what points actually denote "The Pines" - there aren't any names, just markers. Thanks in advance...

It's kinda like going to Chicago - all of the freeways are referred to by name instead of number and it BUGS me...

The Pines is the twisty stuff between #6 and #19 on the trail map. It's about a mile in length.
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » September 10th, 2013, 1:41 pm

utabintarbo wrote:
jwilds1 wrote:Thanks for the advice - I actually meant to check out his brakes before going (too much lever travel for my liking). But in looking at the trail map, what points actually denote "The Pines" - there aren't any names, just markers. Thanks in advance...

The Pines is the twisty stuff between #6 and #19 on the trail map. It's about a mile in length.

Actually, the map does say The Pines.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby jwilds1 » September 10th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Got it - thanks! I was referring to this map: http://www.metroparks.com/images/maps/s ... trails.pdf which has nothing.
- John
Super-noob
jwilds1

Postby jjmcwill » September 11th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I crashed yesterday at (24) where the Roller Coaster crosses the two-track to become the Back Nine. Not sure it it was loose gravel, hitting the exposed rock/roots at the sharp right hand turn, or what.

Right arm and leg all scraped and bloody, and my front brake cable is messed up from the handle bars getting yanked hard when I landed. I'm going to put on a more aggressive front tire in case it was a poor traction issue.

Lots of loose gravel out there, especially on the two track hills, such as Three Gear Hill, and the two track coming off of Mt Sheldon to intersect with Gold Course Climb.
jjmcwill

Postby Sortaslow » September 11th, 2013, 4:49 pm

It's loose as a goose out there lately. Rough summer for our trails.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Sortaslow

Postby jcrazyjj » September 11th, 2013, 7:49 pm

jjmcwill wrote:I crashed yesterday at (24) where the Roller Coaster crosses the two-track to become the Back Nine. Not sure it it was loose gravel, hitting the exposed rock/roots at the sharp right hand turn, or what.

Right arm and leg all scraped and bloody, and my front brake cable is messed up from the handle bars getting yanked hard when I landed. I'm going to put on a more aggressive front tire in case it was a poor traction issue.

Lots of loose gravel out there, especially on the two track hills, such as Three Gear Hill, and the two track coming off of Mt Sheldon to intersect with Gold Course Climb.

that part is absolutely horrible!!
jcrazyjj

Postby Church » September 12th, 2013, 1:33 am

jjmcwill wrote:I crashed yesterday at (24) where the Roller Coaster crosses the two-track to become the Back Nine. Not sure it it was loose gravel, hitting the exposed rock/roots at the sharp right hand turn, or what.

This spot really needs to be fixed ive wiped there many times and its no fun.
Church

Postby PK » September 12th, 2013, 5:01 am

Just a reminder, we'll be meeting at 9:00AM in Westbranch lot "F" Saturday to do some trail fixes in the RollerCoaster.
We will mostly be cutting back vines and brush for a new corner.
Long pants, and sleeves are recommended as we will be around things that make one itch.
Bring loppers or hand pruners if you have them.
We will have some extra tools on hand for the bench cutting work.

Pete.
PK

Postby jdub21 » September 12th, 2013, 8:15 am

have a pre-planned group of riders heading to stony tonight. hoping yesterdays rain soaked up quickly as it has been so dry at stony. if anyone gets out there before 6:00ish please post if it is ridable. we have some riders traveling to get to ride stony and would hate to force a ride and tear/mud anything up that's too muddy or could easily be avoided with prior knowledge or have trails completely blocked by downfall. it was pretty windy last night that's for sure.

thanks in advance. if nothing posts we will be riding this evening and i will post any information/trail needs we find.

thanks tc's for making stony a great place to ride btw!!!
jdub21

Postby PK » September 12th, 2013, 9:42 am

It will be fine today at Stony.
If anything, riding on the wet ground will actually help pack down the loose soil.

Pete.
PK

Postby Church » September 12th, 2013, 11:33 am

jdub21 wrote:have a pre-planned group of riders heading to stony tonight. hoping yesterdays rain soaked up quickly as it has been so dry at stony. if anyone gets out there before 6:00ish please post if it is ridable. we have some riders traveling to get to ride stony and would hate to force a ride and tear/mud anything up that's too muddy or could easily be avoided with prior knowledge or have trails completely blocked by downfall. it was pretty windy last night that's for sure.

thanks in advance. if nothing posts we will be riding this evening and i will post any information/trail needs we find.

Ill be heading out there later today around 4 ill post the status ASAP
Church

Postby Church » September 12th, 2013, 4:58 pm

jdub21 wrote:have a pre-planned group of riders heading to stony tonight. hoping yesterdays rain soaked up quickly as it has been so dry at stony. if anyone gets out there before 6:00ish please post if it is ridable. we have some riders traveling to get to ride stony and would hate to force a ride and tear/mud anything up that's too muddy or could easily be avoided with prior knowledge or have trails completely blocked by downfall. it was pretty windy last night that's for sure.

Just finished the pines. Some wet spots but can be avoided. Hope to see you out here.
Church

Postby Church » September 12th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Well I hope you didn't get stuck out in the rain like I did. The trail was nice and dry but it is hike a bike in part of the roller coaster due to a big tree needing a saw to be removed over the trail.
Church

Postby utabintarbo » September 12th, 2013, 7:43 pm

There is also one down between #7 and #17 on the 2-track. It's rollable on one side.
utabintarbo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments