CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby madmike23 » September 4th, 2013, 9:40 am

Cool! Thanks!
madmike23

Postby Roy » September 6th, 2013, 7:28 am

Trail is totally good. Even the new new yellow section is good- except for two dead falls at: 0.1mile and 0.2 mile from the end.
As mentioned above the bridge is gone from the seasonal loop. The pipe is rideable, but the high weeds block your sight line. By the time you can see the the line over the pipe it is to late. The line over the pipe is the same as it was before the bridge was installed last year- swing left into the weeds and take a hard right over the left end of the pipe. The pipe will bash you large ring if you cross it square.

The trail will only get better until the next rain.

Roy
Roy

Postby madmike23 » September 7th, 2013, 9:06 am

Tree down. This is the log pile after what I believe you call the dragstrip??? I was loosing daylight fast and did not have my bike lights. This may require chainsaw.

Other than that, the trail is in great shape. Very fast.
madmike23

Postby madmike23 » September 7th, 2013, 9:07 am

Forgot to include that this was from Thursday night.
madmike23

Postby 2slo2endo » September 11th, 2013, 7:16 am

Rode the seasonal loop and the new section (for the first time) last night - Trees down in both, some requiring chainsaw... not familiar enough w/ either section to give location specifics, but I would guess in the seasonal - more than halfway through... new section is rideable but still kind of greasy, no mud. Needs trimming, but of course until now there was really no point with the wet conditions. Some of the down trees had us climbing under 1 and over the next, It was like being jenga pieces in the woods :D !
2slo2endo

Postby Mboz » September 11th, 2013, 10:44 am

Yep, that sums it up. It was my first time through the "new section" when it was dry enough to ride. Two separate trees down, both probably between about 1/4 and 1/2 of a mile from the end of the trail. That said, it was fun to ride!

I can't believe I'm actually seeing sand at parts of river bends....
Mboz

Postby ilikenature » September 13th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Lots of these tonight

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
ilikenature

Postby FLIPMODES » September 16th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Trying to start a revolving Tuesday evening group ride at River Bends Park. All are welcome to join.
We are going to begin with a 7pm start time and adjust the start time if needed. 1 to 2 laps depending on day light.
Hope to see you there. :icon_thumleft:
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby 2slo2endo » September 17th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Sounds fun! I am working of freeing up tuesdays!
2slo2endo

Postby madmike23 » September 19th, 2013, 8:18 am

How did the Tuesday night ride go?

Anyone ride the new section lately? Last time I was there it was like riding through pudding.
madmike23

Postby FLIPMODES » September 19th, 2013, 8:54 am

The group ride was good. Decent turnout for such short notice. More people are expected to join us next Tues.

We did ride the seasonal loop but we avoided the new section this time due to several trees down. Once the trees are cleared the trail should get more traffic to help pack it down.
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby turbotoad » September 19th, 2013, 7:00 pm

First time out to RB this evening. Rode from the Edison parking of CRPT and managed to find my way to the trail from the middle school field (return trip I found access to the dead end road just North of the school). Having never been there I wasn't sure where I was exactly after crossing the RR tracks, but eventually noticed a blue bike sign and figured I was going the right way. The trail was pretty smooth and fast. I was cooking along pretty fast around a bend when suddenly there was a squirrel in the middle of the trail. He shot off to the right, then left, then starting zig-zagging down the trail. Unfortunetly he zagged right into the path of my front tire and I ran him over with the front end. It happened so fast that by the time I hit my brakes he was already a squishy speed bump. I heard him scamper off into the woods behind me.

Somehow I ended up on what appeared to be a "new" part that was pretty wet and soggy. And a LOT of little roots everywhere. There were some cut up trees, and I didn't see any blocking the trail. So they must have gotten removed. It was a fun twisty trail but hopefully it will dry out and pack down for better speed through there. Back onto the main "yellow" trail near the parking lot the trail starts to get a little more interesting with some fast "hilly" sections and a couple little climbs (rare for the topo around there). There was a large downed tree near the Southern section on one of the short climbs, but I'm sure exactly where because at that end of the trail system I was totally confused where I was and which way to go to get back across the RR track. I must of wandered around for 20 minutes back tracking and "exploring" untill I found the trail that I had crossed the tracks on.

The trail reminded me very much of Sterling Heights/Utica.................pretty flat. But hey, you gotta work with what you got and the trail is a lot of fun for it's geographical constraints.
turbotoad

Postby utabintarbo » September 19th, 2013, 8:03 pm

There are a LOT of side trails intertwined with the MTB trails. You kinda have to keep your head up and watch for the signs your first few times out there.

And yeah, pretty flat. But only a few miles from home (for me)! :D
utabintarbo

Postby Jim O » September 20th, 2013, 6:32 am

Might try riding with the organized group ride. May help learn the trail system. But you may not be allowed to return based on your squirrel episode. If you did that at Holdridge, the hunters would not be happy, happy, happy with you.

turbotoad wrote:First time out to RB this evening. Rode from the Edison parking of CRPT and managed to find my way to the trail from the middle school field (return trip I found access to the dead end road just North of the school). Having never been there I wasn't sure where I was exactly after crossing the RR tracks, but eventually noticed a blue bike sign and figured I was going the right way. The trail was pretty smooth and fast. I was cooking along pretty fast around a bend when suddenly there was a squirrel in the middle of the trail. He shot off to the right, then left, then starting zig-zagging down the trail. Unfortunetly he zagged right into the path of my front tire and I ran him over with the front end. It happened so fast that by the time I hit my brakes he was already a squishy speed bump. I heard him scamper off into the woods behind me.

Somehow I ended up on what appeared to be a "new" part that was pretty wet and soggy. And a LOT of little roots everywhere. There were some cut up trees, and I didn't see any blocking the trail. So they must have gotten removed. It was a fun twisty trail but hopefully it will dry out and pack down for better speed through there. Back onto the main "yellow" trail near the parking lot the trail starts to get a little more interesting with some fast "hilly" sections and a couple little climbs (rare for the topo around there). There was a large downed tree near the Southern section on one of the short climbs, but I'm sure exactly where because at that end of the trail system I was totally confused where I was and which way to go to get back across the RR track. I must of wandered around for 20 minutes back tracking and "exploring" untill I found the trail that I had crossed the tracks on.

The trail reminded me very much of Sterling Heights/Utica.................pretty flat. But hey, you gotta work with what you got and the trail is a lot of fun for it's geographical constraints.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby madmike23 » September 20th, 2013, 9:07 am

Is there really a way to connect Riverbends to CRPT? Can someone please explain the route. That would be awesome.
madmike23

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments