Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby ChainMale » September 1st, 2013, 8:39 am

Being a frequent, 2x/wk, rider of Brighton Rec for the past 4yrs, I must give up a big, thank you, to the Poto Brighton trail crew, who ever you are, great job on the found loop, and the re-routes last year. Although I must say, I wish the trail was trimmed more often, No check that, I think part of the reason I love riding those two trails so much, is the lack of traffic. If getting wacked in the face with branches and pickers, or climbing over fallen trees, keeps them from being over ridden, like Island lake, or even Poto itself, then that's a small price to pay. Thanks again. "Think minimum impact"
ChainMale

Postby joryde » September 7th, 2013, 10:07 am

Hey Jay:
Are you still planning to work on Lost Loop tomorrow Sun (8th)? Time? Place? I rode ML last Sunday before looking here and was really disappointed not to get to the big angled climb-over. Did some backtracking before I figured out what was going on with the closure and re-route. Was out-of-town the week before and had no idea of a tornado. Looked here when I got home and saw that the trail got whacked good. Can be there tomorrow if it's still on.
Jon
Jon
joryde

Postby BusDriver » September 8th, 2013, 8:11 pm

The DNR directly told those guys to cease and desist clearing. The trail is not safe for passage. No trail work is planned until the Widowmakers have been removed.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Life Behind Bars

http://www.wolverinebeer.com/
http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby The RideR » September 13th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Rode Murray today after work. Trail was in good shape. No mud, just couple slick spots.
The RideR

Postby vette-ss » September 22nd, 2013, 9:12 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:I rode Murray/Lost/Found loops today. I didn't realize something was missing from the lost loop. Trail was is good shape, damp, no puddles. The sand is packed down pretty good from the rain.

I did the same loop last week and there was about 1/2 mile of lost that had been by-passed with a re-route.
vette-ss

Postby mrbikester » October 9th, 2013, 9:06 pm

We rode Murray Lake and Lost Loop trails today and they were in great shape. Rains have helped the sandy areas. Many leaves on the trail and in some areas it was very hard to see the trail.
What PERFECT weather to ride.
mrbikester

Postby xycarp » October 24th, 2013, 8:02 pm

I am heading camping to Brighton this weekend and plan to get at least 1 ride in. I'd like to do 30-40 miles of steady riding. A few questions:

1. Are TornShirt and Murray Lake trails going to have hunters walking around with guns on a Saturday this time of year?
2. Is TornShirt OK to ride alone for 3 or 4 laps?
3. Is there a decent dirt road route near by with some rolling hills? Preferably a loop that starts and ends at the Bishop Lake campground.

I normally ride Pontiac, Addison Oaks, Baldmountain, Poto... Never seen these trails. :?: :D
xycarp

Postby reidabel » December 6th, 2013, 8:03 am

Talks continue with the DNR regarding making a number of features in this area. Help will definitely be required if an agreement is reached. It will be some time before any work could start, as we have to move through the proper channels. Jay, the Brighton Trail Coordinator, is working on this, and I am helping out as well. Not to you specifically, but to anybody forgetting about it, there are some big branches hung up overhead in that section, deposited by the tornado, and waiting to fall down at some point. Please keep an eye out for them, some are directly above the trail and up high and not obvious. And, of course, no additional cutting or clearing is to be done in this section. Thanks ...
reidabel

Postby mclouthken » December 6th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Would it be possible to get trail maps updated on the website to show the new loops?
Ken

2013 Specialized EPIC Comp 29
2013 Trek Rig SS
2004 Gary Fisher Cake 3 - RIP
"If you never fall, you're just not trying"
mclouthken

Postby Leroi Brown » December 9th, 2013, 8:29 am

Rode Saturday, and the trails are in excellent shape.....just watch out for the "brown ice"!

Also.....not sure if someone already reported this or not, but there's a tree down on Murray at the 1.9 mile mark. It's immediately after a downhill section and comes up at you fast, so be aware! It's not a large diameter tree, but it's long enough that I couldn't move it by myself.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby hill9303 » April 15th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Rode this afternoon and I concur. Its in great shape. All the snow was melted on the trail.
hill9303

Postby bill_m » May 24th, 2014, 6:55 am

Agreed, Carl is the man! AVTS took out a huge hickory tree we lost that was right next to the house. I won't use anyone else.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby BusDriver » August 17th, 2014, 8:24 am

ChainMale wrote:Rode Murray Lake on Sat 8/16, trail conditions were great, the big cherry tree is still across the trail, near the 6.5 mi, and the ride around, is pretty well established so does that mean it will stay there ? Either way is ok just wondering if the "dismount to get around", policy is the determining factor.
Watch out for the tree leaning over the trail at the beginning of the lost loop, it could be a real, head knocker

This tree will be removed by the end of the week.
Life Behind Bars

http://www.wolverinebeer.com/
http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby Rainmann » August 27th, 2014, 10:38 am

jreyst wrote:Any word on condition today? The Royal Oak area (where I'm at) got hit with decent rain yesterday but not sure about if the trail is rideable today or not.

Lots of rain came through yesterday afternoon but Brighton usually drains pretty well. Probably be reasonably rideable after work, if it doesn't rain today.
Shut up and ride your bike already...
Rainmann

Postby edhawk » March 22nd, 2015, 5:55 pm

I walked the hiking trails at Brighton this afternoon. I would say 90% of it is dry and solid. Maybe another week and it will be ready to ride?
edhawk

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions