CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby lawn dart » August 17th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Rode West, Tech & North. All are drying out very well.

Met Andy F. & Scott who were assisting at the CRAMBA Trail Day. You can see their handiwork everywhere -- lots of fixes & improvements. Thanks to all who pitched in.

I got in trouble for working on the trail (filling low muddy spots on North) without official CRAMBA/DNR clearance. Sorry, Guys! The last thing I want is to create friction between our club and Parks & Rec/DNR. (I just can't manage the 10am Saturday morning start time!)
lawn dart

Postby SAuge » August 19th, 2013, 7:57 pm

Of course, there is always Copper Harbor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQjKFs40F8
SAuge

Postby black2003ss » August 24th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Great work on the West Loop! It looks like a lot of that armoring and shoring up on the low spots will work out. Trail was super dry and fast tonight. Even saw quite a bit of sand popping up.

I busted my chain out there, twice, tonight though so I only got to make 1 loop and walked the last mile...sans bug spray :roll:

Also, someone lost some sunglasses out there today, saw the note below posted on the board at the trailhead. If you found them, I'm sure James would appreciate a call!

black2003ss

Postby lawn dart » August 29th, 2013, 9:08 pm

What turbo said. *thumbsup*

The repairs (filled mud holes) done two weeks ago on North had time to get bedded-in and have worked out well, but the the long section in the swamp didn't have enough time to firm up and is becoming a gooey mess. Nuts. We'll keep an eye on it to see how well it dries out.

Still, the North loop was in real nice shape overall. We were able to do two laps at our best "race pace" and had a ball.
lawn dart

Postby Jim O » August 31st, 2013, 12:51 am

Go for it! I am out of town, county and state until next weekend! However, big trees may and should need some help. Might ask Andy or Ron's assistance.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby black2003ss » August 31st, 2013, 7:32 pm

Rode West and Lake Shore Loops tonight. That big tree right after the hanging tree on West is still there, so it looks like you might be getting it tomorrow morning. Another rider said there were four trees down on West as I left the lot for a loop. I stopped and moved 3 of them off to the side on my first lap, they weren't that big. On Lake Shore, there is a really low hanger, big tree, right at the top of the last big sandy climb (which is holding up nicely to the rain now). Riders can hug the handles bars to pass underneath it. It looks like it will be a big job though, should have another person or two to help out. Other than those two remaining trees, West is good to go. Most of the repairs seem to be holding up very well and not holding water anymore.
black2003ss

Postby SAuge » September 1st, 2013, 12:23 pm

OK - took out the hanger and the 10 inch downed tree between .5 and 1 on the west loop.

Also took out the mess at the "top of the hill" on the lake loop. Yep, finally sagged so much even I couldn't walk under it so off it went. I piled up the refuse so they might be used for "don't be goin here" logs somewhere... or not. :)

That's all I know about!
Last edited by SAuge on September 2nd, 2013, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAuge

Postby black2003ss » September 1st, 2013, 12:26 pm

That's awesome! Thank you for doing that.
black2003ss

Postby black2003ss » September 4th, 2013, 8:07 pm

West and Lake loops were awesome tonight. Thanks again for the cleanup, it's nice not having to stop to climb over trees, etc.
black2003ss

Postby lawn dart » September 4th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Did a little more work on the North loop, filling mud holes and flattening pizza cutters. The trail itself is clear, fast, and remarkably dry, but some of our earlier repairs will need to be monitored until they all get packed down and bedded-in.
lawn dart

Postby MtnBikerMi » September 6th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Was done with my ride around 6:30 tonight putting my bike on the car,and in comes a dirt bike right onto the north loop!! 3 or 4 of us bikers were in the lot, the guy on the motorcycle didn't seem to care, or even look. I called the DNR hot line right away, while I was HOLD, the dirt bike went back flying down Hess, must have got out at the turn off in the trail for the east loop, I continue to be on HOLD, finishing packing up my gear, get in the car, once I made it to Grange Hall, they take me off hold, ask what happened, gave my story, they took my number. Said a officer will call me. Nobody called back. Getting the impression the DNR Hotline does not act with any urgency!!
MtnBikerMi

Postby Jim O » September 6th, 2013, 9:35 pm

As I was leaving after cutting up the log on the Lake Loop, I also heard the dirt bike but did not see him. You did the right thing by calling the hotline! Unfortunately, they do not prioritize dirt bikes unless they are close and nothing else is going on. I was told this directly from the Land Manager. My suggestion is for everyone to call each time this happens and use your camera phones to record the culprit and submit it o the Holly Rec Office or you can always email me on this forum and I will take the recording to the office myself. Thanks!
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby SAuge » September 10th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Lake loop has a downed tree on it.
SAuge

Postby turbotoad » September 11th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Weeks? I think it's approaching months :? If it's the one I'm thinking of....it is ridable and not large, but it on the perfect BAD angle across the trail as you round the corner. It really throws off the "flow" as you need to do some pretty aggresive body english to hit it more or less straight on.

After the storms tonight I'm anticipating some more downed timber out there.
turbotoad

Postby Critter7r » September 11th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Yeh, well ... I've been skipping the Lake Loop except the past 2 weeks, so what do I know!! Funny you mention body english, because that was my exact thought when I hopped over it at speed Sunday. I was thankful that I saw it just in time to hop over it as I was leaning for the turn. We've had a good amount of wind here tonight, so I also expect there will be some trees down. I'm going to buy a folding saw one day, I swear!
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions