Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » April 9th, 2010, 9:44 pm

The earlier the better. In the early morning you'll generally see mostly serious trail runners. The casual hikers, hungover college kids, and dog walkers start to apear after about 10 AM. :)

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby twoINtheSky » April 9th, 2010, 9:53 pm

Thanks!!!
twoINtheSky

Postby cmkovick » April 14th, 2010, 11:28 am

I had a little time to get a quick ride in Wed morning so I rode the Crooked Lake loop. The trail is very nice right now. And a Thank you (sarcastic) to the person(s) that helped trim some branches.... to which they all seemed to be the thorny ones and placed right in the center of the trail. I kicked a few out of the way, hopefully no one will flat because of this righteous *beep*.

Chuck
Chuck Kovick
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee
Get on the list to help @ volunteer@waterlootrail.org
https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

"Build It, Before You Ride It"
cmkovick

Postby Bento » April 14th, 2010, 3:00 pm

cmkovick wrote:... seemed to be the thorny ones and placed right in the center of the trail...
Chuck

This morning I saw the same thing but I just figured it was someone who was doing trail maintenance. I too thought it strange that the branches were of the same type all the way around. I also thought it strange that they seemed to be centered in the trail. Two loops and no flats. I will be back on Stans this weekend so no worries for me. Again, I do think it was someone doing trail maintenance and NOT an "angry hiker".

The second time over the "pressure treated root bridge" I noticed the natural one is now blocked with brush and logs. I suppose it is official then?

There is is a tree trunk across the trail on Gosling Loop, between Patterson and Doyle Rd. It is near the bottom of the hill, after the toughest cardio-climb (off camber) between these two roads. It is easy to go around to the left. it might surprise someone much faster than me.

For early season, I don't recall the Gosling being in this good of shape.
Bento

Postby cmkovick » April 14th, 2010, 7:34 pm

I hope you are right that there was no ill intent. My friend that rode after 5pm noticed the same thing with the branches left in the center of the trail. Good thing is the trail is in great shape and people are enjoying the outdoors on bike or foot.

Chuck
Chuck Kovick
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee
Get on the list to help @ volunteer@waterlootrail.org
https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

"Build It, Before You Ride It"
cmkovick

Postby Geff » April 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm

So why aren't any of those who are riding right now just move it off the trail a bit, if this obstruction is in the middle of the trail? If it is the work of someone doing trailwork and helping out, they will know and be able to see where this was and come back to claim/pick it up. Just MHO...
Geff

Postby Bento » April 14th, 2010, 8:25 pm

IMNSHO, twigs were in about 30+ locations, stopping would tend to break up the rhythm. The branch ends (twigs) were really quite small and will be crushed into oblivion in another day. Just not enough people enjoying this gorgeous church. That is the bigger mystery! This is very normal for post trail maintenance trail conditions. No big deal. I am very thankful for the team of Poto caretakers.
Bento

Postby Geff » April 14th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Bento wrote:IMNSHO, twigs were in about 30+ locations, stopping would tend to break up the rhythm. The branch ends (twigs) were really quite small and will be crushed into oblivion in another day. Just not enough people enjoying this gorgeous church. That is the bigger mystery! This is very normal for post trail maintenance trail conditions. No big deal. I am very thankful for the team of Poto caretakers.

OK. Thanks! That didn't come across clearly in the initial posts. Glad to hear that it wasn't more than what you just described. About getting out and enjoying...I just came off a week's vacation and can't take a day away from the kiddies to get out amongst it right now, so I have to live vicariously through you and others who are able to do so. Thanks for the updates!
Geff

Postby alexyoung » April 15th, 2010, 8:07 am

What I want to know is which one you inconsiderate jerks put all those *beep* hills all over the friggin trail!!! You are seriously slowing me down!!!
alexyoung

Postby jrshome » April 15th, 2010, 8:30 am

alexyoung wrote:What I want to know is which one you inconsiderate jerks put all those *beep* hills all over the friggin trail!!! You are seriously slowing me down!!!

Maybe you should rent a bobcat and knock the tops off a few :D . Gotta improve those lap times. Why stop with raking and taking out annoying roots when you can just knock the top of the hills
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby Geff » April 15th, 2010, 8:39 am

alexyoung wrote:What I want to know is which one you inconsiderate jerks put all those *beep* hills all over the friggin trail!!! You are seriously slowing me down!!!

Too funny! Who taught you to think that way? :lol:
Geff

Postby djansen00 » April 15th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Rode last night. The root bridge is closed? I thought this was going to be kept open?
djansen00

Postby alexyoung » April 15th, 2010, 1:09 pm

I did too, but I guess not. I hope the original water bar entrance stays open!
alexyoung

Postby Geff » April 15th, 2010, 1:19 pm

The DNR dude said that he would pitch the idea, but that it may not go through to keep it open. I guess the concept of keeping it a choice got overruled somewhere along the lines recently.
Geff

Postby bill_m » April 15th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Geff wrote:The DNR dude said that he would pitch the idea, but that it may not go through to keep it open. I guess the concept of keeping it a choice got overruled somewhere along the lines recently.

At the end of the RB Boardwalk build day I was told that both options would be left open. This may be the work of a rouge individual or the DNR may have changed their mind. We'll try to get an answer on this asap. Thanks for the heads up.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions