Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby TenSpeed » June 30th, 2011, 8:30 am

mtbike2350 wrote:In the area for a business trip and tried these trails out. Very technical in areas and looks like a lot of work was put in. Good job.

[b]I did find some of the trails hard to follow lacking in signs both for the red/blue trail marking and mostly for the new trails and where they fork from other paths. Some places had some nice signs pointing you where it turned but lots just got confusing if the fork was part of it or not. I both ended up in someones back yard or missed large sections of trail.[/b

Lots of tall grass that loaded up my cassette too. Otherwise mostly dry and challenging.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk


Yep. Welcome to Burchfield. That is just how it is.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
User avatar
TenSpeed
 
Posts: 2023
Joined: September 15th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Mid-State

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby reidabel » June 30th, 2011, 9:10 am

And it will get better once all of the new signs are in place. For now, follow the green arrows (on little brown wood blocks) for the advanced mountain bike trail. Also, one of the temporary reroutes (flooded areas) has offshoots into backyards that are not marked, as you found out.
User avatar
reidabel
 
Posts: 964
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 10:02 pm
Location: Lansing

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby JHew84 » June 30th, 2011, 5:44 pm

I'll have to second what mtbike2350 had to say. Went out to Burchfield for a quick ride this afternoon and decided to explore some new areas. I got lost a couple times and I'm pretty sure I was going the wrong way down one of the trails as well. I was following the green arrows that start right after the riverbend parking lot and after it crosses back over the main trail I lost it, thought I found it again but didn't see anymore green arrows after that. Finally came out on the driveway to the riverbend lot :P, not sure how I got there but at least it got me back to trails I was familiar with haha.

Trails were a lot of fun though, looking forward to going back and trying some of the obstacles.
- James
'05 Specialized Hardrock Pro
JHew84
 
Posts: 57
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 9:54 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby jordanskole » July 2nd, 2011, 1:59 pm

Went out yesterday. I haven't ridden up in burchfield in maybe a year or so. Everything is really well organized compared to how I remember. A few of the stunts didn't look rideable which was too bad. I especially love those long log rides. I wore my Contour to track the gps data, I will upload the gpx files soon & the rest of the videos are being uploaded right now.

[url]
http://contour.com/stories/burchfield-face-mount[/url]
http://contour.com/stories/check-both-ways

and of course, why I wear a helmet:



didn't even see it coming
User avatar
jordanskole
 
Posts: 6
Joined: July 2nd, 2011, 1:41 pm
Location: Lansing, Royal Oak

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby plunderspunk » July 2nd, 2011, 9:49 pm

Ouch! (been there done that...)
8)
...goin'out tomorrow with my boys...like 10ish. before the heat sets in...he heh...
FWIW I got lost, and I been goin out there for a long time... :oops: appreciate all the work out there though!
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: May 7th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby gtrowbridge » July 3rd, 2011, 7:03 pm

jordanskole wrote:Went out yesterday. I haven't ridden up in burchfield in maybe a year or so. Everything is really well organized compared to how I remember. A few of the stunts didn't look rideable which was too bad. I especially love those long log rides. I wore my Contour to track the gps data, I will upload the gpx files soon & the rest of the videos are being uploaded right now.

[url]
http://contour.com/stories/burchfield-face-mount[/url]
http://contour.com/stories/check-both-ways

and of course, why I wear a helmet:



didn't even see it coming


Sweet! (video not head knock) Which Contour are you using?
I so need a head cam....then I could ride all the trails in MI all winter long in my basement.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 384
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby jordanskole » July 4th, 2011, 7:56 pm

gtrowbridge wrote:
jordanskole wrote:Went out yesterday. I haven't ridden up in burchfield in maybe a year or so. Everything is really well organized compared to how I remember. A few of the stunts didn't look rideable which was too bad. I especially love those long log rides. I wore my Contour to track the gps data, I will upload the gpx files soon & the rest of the videos are being uploaded right now.

[url]
http://contour.com/stories/burchfield-face-mount[/url]
http://contour.com/stories/check-both-ways

and of course, why I wear a helmet:



didn't even see it coming


Sweet! (video not head knock) Which Contour are you using?
I so need a head cam....then I could ride all the trails in MI all winter long in my basement.


My girlfriend got me the GPS for Christmas last year. Its really worth the extra money to have the gps on it for visualizing rides. I do a lot of video for work too so its actually pretty nice to have a wide-angle for some artsy shots too.
User avatar
jordanskole
 
Posts: 6
Joined: July 2nd, 2011, 1:41 pm
Location: Lansing, Royal Oak

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby gtrowbridge » July 5th, 2011, 6:21 am

jordanskole wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:
jordanskole wrote:Went out yesterday. I haven't ridden up in burchfield in maybe a year or so. Everything is really well organized compared to how I remember. A few of the stunts didn't look rideable which was too bad. I especially love those long log rides. I wore my Contour to track the gps data, I will upload the gpx files soon & the rest of the videos are being uploaded right now.



Sweet! (video not head knock) Which Contour are you using?
I so need a head cam....then I could ride all the trails in MI all winter long in my basement.


My girlfriend got me the GPS for Christmas last year. Its really worth the extra money to have the gps on it for visualizing rides. I do a lot of video for work too so its actually pretty nice to have a wide-angle for some artsy shots too.


Thoughtful GF.
Guess I know what I need to start lobbying my GF for now.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 384
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby pfox90 » July 5th, 2011, 6:48 pm

man that prairie section is getting sweet
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
User avatar
pfox90
 
Posts: 870
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby xcrdr » July 5th, 2011, 8:45 pm

pfox90 wrote:man that prairie section is getting sweet



LOL, yes it is.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
User avatar
xcrdr
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: October 17th, 2002, 9:11 am
Location: MidState

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby TenSpeed » July 5th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Which section is the prarie?
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
User avatar
TenSpeed
 
Posts: 2023
Joined: September 15th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Mid-State

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby peterlcole » July 6th, 2011, 8:01 am

TenSpeed wrote:Which section is the prarie?


If you're at Riverbend and head to Burchfield you eventually get spit out at the road. After you cross the road and do a short bit in the woods the trail goes through a big field between the woods and McNamara. It's a little too flat and uneventful for my taste, but I'm glad others enjoy it.
User avatar
peterlcole
 
Posts: 55
Joined: July 30th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby TenSpeed » July 6th, 2011, 8:10 am

This is after you cross the road that comes in at Riverbend? You cross after doing Looman's and then you hit that little A frame bridge?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
User avatar
TenSpeed
 
Posts: 2023
Joined: September 15th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Mid-State

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Paul_D » July 6th, 2011, 8:17 am

I believe he's referring to the field between the pine trees and Peppermint bridge, which starts about a mile or so after hitting the A frame bridge. The field also continues south of Peppermint bridge to the left.
-Paul
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
User avatar
Paul_D
 
Posts: 104
Joined: July 1st, 2011, 12:50 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby mjpo » July 8th, 2011, 9:43 am

For a point of reference, the grassy section before Peppermint Creek Bridge is called Nathan Dynamite. The section after the bridge is called Glorious Poperds. Glorious Poperds wil be getting at least one drop and one decent sized jump. (probably not till next summer). I have all the trail name signs done, but need to get posts planted to be able to install them.........work in progress.............
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo
 
Posts: 333
Joined: March 29th, 2005, 9:28 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chisbang, Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests