Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby reidabel » August 14th, 2013, 8:44 pm

A couple of greasy spots because of the recent rain, but overall the trail is in very good shape. Did a trimming ride this evening until dark, rode all of the green trail, cleared a lot on Nathan Dynamite, cleared some on Glorious Poperd's and Serenity. Small tree across the trail near the beginning of The Timinator, but it can be ridden over. It may even be possible to move it by hand, I didn't stop to find out. Should be pretty clear riding for the whole green loop now. I cleared the return loop for the Hellboy stunts and found that it's possible to ride the low line by using the first foot of The Highway and popping the front tire onto the low line, bringing the rear tire nicely in line to ride the low line. A fun alternative to just riding it normally ... for those who enjoy such things.
reidabel

Postby Noahfh47 » September 5th, 2013, 11:58 am

Can anyone give me a little help in finding the route to take for strava to register the complete advanced loop? I ride what I think is the complete loop, but I never get the segment to register.
Noahfh47

Postby rvd » September 5th, 2013, 9:07 pm

To get this registered (http://www.strava.com/segments/705617) start from McNamara landing parking lot.

The 'official' Strava segment contains trail sections 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 (or 18), 19

Various short cuts not affecting segment registration:
- Ride the beginner trail instead of Hansen's bebop (1)
- Skip Annie's playhouse (second part of 5)
- Ride the beginner trail instead of Kentaro's monster (6)
- Ride the beginner trail instead of Heckboy (15)
(there probably are other places where a faster route can be ridden)

I don't know if the new loop/routing for trail section 8 (Looman's run) can result in your ride not registering.

rvd

Postby xcrdr » September 5th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Ya, My wife rides the 2 track next to Dragonball and has a great Strava time FOR Dragonball. She thinks she's cool!
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby rvd » September 23rd, 2013, 10:38 am

First time at the Burch in a long time. The Gorious Popers 'corridor' is looking real good this year; has settled in very well! The new loop by the cabrio is looking excellent too. There is nothing at all to report, or it must be that vegetation (including poison ivy) was closing in in a few areas. Trail was in excellent condition overall.
rvd

Postby F7Cannon » October 9th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Get at it while you can! Leaves are falling fast. Did some trimming and blew off the advanced trail from Mcnamara to Riverbend. Trail is in great shape overall and the weather is great. Saw more riders out there today then I have seen in a long time.
08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-441 Geared-889 Road Bike-211
F7Cannon

Postby reidabel » October 9th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Thanks for the work, Shaun ... rode at sunrise this morning (not that you have to get up early to do that at this time of year), and it was in good shape even with the leaves down. As long as you know the trail, I guess ...
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » October 11th, 2013, 7:36 am

Shaun, Thanks for the leave clearance. Enjoyed a run Thursday a.m. on some of the trails that had been pretty obscured before. Those little roots are a lot easier to avoid while running w/o the leave cover.
Overall the trail is in outstanding condition. Fun times. Back for a ride last night on the cx bike, lots of deer and seemed to be a crop of ice man training folks hammering out laps.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby xcrdr » October 11th, 2013, 11:52 am

There was a group ride of Central Park guys. I missed out due to injury. Us old guys are a bit fragile. Really hated sitting home knowing the trail is awesome right now and the temp gets nice and cool for great riding.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby Overdrive » October 11th, 2013, 2:36 pm

xcrdr wrote:There was a group ride of Central Park guys. I missed out due to injury. Us old guys are a bit fragile. Really hated sitting home knowing the trail is awesome right now and the temp gets nice and cool for great riding.

Hope you mend up quick. Hard time of year to be sidelined.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby plunderspunk » October 11th, 2013, 8:13 pm

really missing not having the time trial this year...):
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Postby Overdrive » October 11th, 2013, 10:15 pm

geardaddy37 wrote:really missing not having the time trial this year...):

with the recent trimming and leaf clearing I've been thinking we needed an informal after work local self-timed fun ride Monday.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby Neysahead » October 12th, 2013, 6:11 am

I've been out a couple times this week and had a lot of fun on the trails. Thanks to everyone who's worked to maintain them. I still struggle with navigation sometimes, though. Instead of making it up as I go along, I figured I might as well ask here.

At the end of Randy's Maze, you get spit out of the woods into a meadow. There's an arrow that says something like temporary reroute and points straight. Almost immediately after you follow that out of the woods, there's a trail to your right back into the woods or you can hug the side of the meadow for ~60 yards and there's another trail to the right into the woods. I've been taking the second right. Is that the correct route?

Thanks!
Neysahead

Postby Overdrive » October 12th, 2013, 6:47 am

Neysahead wrote:I've been out a couple times this week and had a lot of fun on the trails. Thanks to everyone who's worked to maintain them. I still struggle with navigation sometimes, though. Instead of making it up as I go along, I figured I might as well ask here.

At the end of Randy's Maze, you get spit out of the woods into a meadow. There's an arrow that says something like temporary reroute and points straight. Almost immediately after you follow that out of the woods, there's a trail to your right back into the woods or you can hug the side of the meadow for ~60 yards and there's another trail to the right into the woods. I've been taking the second right. Is that the correct route?

Thanks!

For the actual route the second one that goes back into the woods is what you want. There is a post with a green arrow to the right (away from the disc golf) and maybe a ref. to purple trail. That's by a short piece of green fencing. Take a right there.

Later, your next trail intersection will be to cross over the purple trail. Continue straight to go into Annie's Playhouse. It will also keep you on the singletrack to get down toward Riverbend.

If you take the purple trail, it's an alternate route that will deliver you to the top of a doubletrack. Going left on that is down the wide two track and again south toward Riverbend. The two trails join each other before reaching the double line bridge.
Last edited by Overdrive on October 15th, 2013, 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby F7Cannon » October 12th, 2013, 7:16 am

Overdrive wrote:
geardaddy37 wrote:really missing not having the time trial this year...):

with the recent trimming and leaf clearing I've been thinking we needed an informal after work local self-timed fun ride Monday.

Is that a fancy way of saying group ride on Monday Anne? :wink:

Sounds good to me! What time were you thinking?
08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-441 Geared-889 Road Bike-211
F7Cannon

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments